1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Remember Republican Debate on tonight.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Sep 5, 2007.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    Just giving a heads up as it starts in a few minutes and it is easy to miss it because you might have forgotten or did not see any advertisements for it.

Curious, of course, to See Ron Paul.

I am also interested in seeing how Huckabee does.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Mike Huckabee has done the best so far in my opinion ....

I have been disappointed in Ron Paul ..... he seems way over his head, and comes off as an angry old man screaming about prices in a grocery store.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    I think Huckabee and McCain "won" the debate with the edge going for McCain.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    Looks like McCain did the best in this debate.

When you have the other candidates quoting him or thanking him that says a great deal IMO.

Huckabee did ok. I like some of his stances and think he seems like a good guy but I just don't think he has a shot in hades to win. As much as I love Paul I don't really think he has a shot either.

I mean really...how can someone take his marching orders from the constitution. Really doesn't Paul realize the constitution is just a piece of paper.:D

On the opposite end. I think Romney was a loser along with Tancredo and Brownback.

I just can't get with Romney. He just seems so fake and scripted. Even when they are asking him a question that is basically ripping on him he is there with that fake plastered smile. No way in the world I could vote for this guy.

Tancredo started out ok but towards the end just started ranting over the top stuff again IMO.

Brownback just seemed to stammer at times and looked like some guy that had just had a doobie backstage. Not to make fun of his appearance but that is just what his eyes reminded me of while watching him.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    thanks for the update. i had to go to a "sleep study" last night and missed the debate. i am interested in seeing who ya'll pick out as "winners" so i can pay more attention to them.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    Keep an eye on Fox. They may show it again and you might be able to record it if they do.

I know they started showing it again at midnight last night so you never know.

I did not catch who they polled as the winner however it appeared most of the people they had in a sample audience (had a group of people in a couple of different places outside of the debate) thought McCain won the debate.
  7. iceberg

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    did he refrain from calling anyone a jerk this time?
  8. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,521 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    That debate almost became a debate. Huck and Dr. Paul got into a good exchange - but it was too short lived.

McCain did his best to apologize for shamnesty - but I'm not fooled. He tried to fast track a bill that wasn't even completely written - I will never trust him again.

Brownback really needs to end his campaign. He has similar positions to Huck, but isn't as articulate. Perhaps he is dreaming of a cabinet poisition, otherwise I see little point in his continued presence. All he is doing is splintering the social conservative vote.

Paul had an ok night. He handled hostile moderators well, and wasn't phased by the unprofessional laugh track that appeared when he answered his last several questions. He needs to elaborate on cutting departments however. Eliminating the Dept of Education is great - but make sure peolle know that states will pick up the slack. Cutting the CIA is great too, but make sure to inform Americans that many high level CIA members agree with him. He needs to hammer home that our out of control spending is a greater risk to our nation then terrorism. Without that stance, he comes off too close to the liberal position on Iraq.

I left the debate again thinking the only guys I like are 2nd tier people. Paul, Huckabee, Tancredo, and Hunter are all better options IMO.

I don't understand Guliani at all. He wants to play the game as a front-runner attacking the dems. That is not going to win a general election. 70% of Americans don't agree with the republican stance on the war.
  9. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I kept an eye on Fox, but after five minutes i had to gouge it out:cool:
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Did you pass? ;)

I have been through one of those and hated it......good luck with it.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,456 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    are youtube clips up yet?

i can't make myself watch another entire republican debate but I'd watch the clips.

i like mccain best of the actual repubs and paul most of them all.

i agree that spending is more dangerous than terrorism.

we are basically a tribute state to all the friggin japanese and chinese banks that own us as a country.

i wish i could drive my household into millions of dollars of debt then claim my wife and i were at war with the neighbors so it doesn't really count...:bang2:
  12. Eric_Boyer

4,521 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Don't miss the part where Huck talks about "honor"

Honor is defined as "one nation under Hillary". :banghead:
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,481 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I thought Rudy came out ahead of the pack. He articulated himself clearly and succinctly and didn't make any major gaffes. He was particularly adroit with the gotcha question about his personal life. The guy who asked that seemed like a plant.

I would give second place to McCain, Romney, and Huckabee.

McCain showed poise but appeared a bit stubborn on the surge question with his insistence that it was working. Right or wrong, it came across as an unwillingness to conceive any other possibility. I think people have had enough of that mentality with the present administration. The fact that other candidates credited him with various achievements and proposals (Huckabee and Rudy, in particular) seemed less an indication of how well he was doing than an attempt to siphon off some of his supporters from what has hitherto been a floundering campaign. Still, a very solid showing from the Senator from Arizona.

I don't care for Romney because he appears insincere and smarmy. But he's bright, gives good face, plays well before the camera, and is an adept politician. I don't think he distinguished himself for good or bad but firmly kept his position in the peloton.

Huckabee is bright, articulate, and charismatic. The other candidates better hope that he doesn't start getting more media attention.

In third, I would place Hunter, Brownback, and Paul in that order.

Hunter seemed poised, knowledgeable, and fairly articulate, although he rambled once or twice. Given more time he might make a better impression.

There's nothing terribly wrong with Brownback but he is a bit insipid. Still, he did okay, nothing particularly noteworthy.

I put Paul down here simply because Fox set him up to fail. Chris Wallace appeared determined to make him appear ridiculous (Do you take marching orders from Al Qaeda? How are you going to protect the American people if you disband virtually every major government department? etc.) and succeeded to some extent. Paul put up a spirited fight, paraphrasing Franklin at one point and drawing applause, but he also appeared a bit shrill at times and was openly laughed at. Not sure he changed many minds this time around, and he may have lost a few wavering supporters.

I have Tancredo coming in last. He just comes across as your stereotypical mean and angry republican.

My two cents worth.
  14. Eric_Boyer

4,521 Messages
    292 Likes Received

I have no doubts that the American Public placed Huck as the winner of the Paul/Huck exchange but it just further cemented Paul as the guy for me.

"You broke it you bought it" might work for a jar of jam, but not a foreign policy that is costing us trillions of dollars.

We stay in Iraq only if we think it is in our national interests to do so - not because of some unwritten rule about owning what you break.

I still think Huck is a good guy - as opposed to say Guliani - but he is horribly naive and simplistic. Unforunately, so are most voters.
  15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,481 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I like Ron Paul and sympathize with him on the issue of the war. But for the uncommitted viewer, I think Huck's confident and pithy sound bite responses (e.g. "United States not the Divided States") trumped Paul's stammering in the exchange. Paul was on to something when he started on about "saving face" but he never managed to effectively get his point across. JMO.
  16. iceberg

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    well there were times my readout looked like california was getting wasted on an earthquake meter. he put the snore checker on my throat and i said 'only 1 piece of tape?'

my sinuses are usually pretty swollen also but they've been that way since college (84?) and i've just grown used to it. now it's a pain and all i can do is see what the doctor says and i'm sure i'll be going back with a mask on to sleep again and see what happens.

not looking forward to that.