1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Removed As Punt Returner, Bryant Looking To Regain Trust

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Doomsday101, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – A fumbled punt. Removed from the punt return team, then re-inserted with the game on the line.

A remarkable touchdown grab only to be taken away because of a couple of fingers that went out of bounds. What wasn’t taken away was an injured hip on the play, something that has kept him out of practice this week.

And that’s just the football stuff.

Dez Bryant has had an emotional rollercoaster of a week already, throwing in the fact that his domestic violence charge involving his mother that occurred back in early July has not been resolved.

But Bryant said Thursday his focus remains on football, and it sounds like he’s preparing himself to play against the Falcons, despite his lack of participation in practice.

“Oh, I’ll be ready … but it’s there,” Bryant said of the hip injury that occurred on that near-touchdown catch. “I think I’ll be fine.”

Bryant, who hasn’t regularly talked to the media during the week this season, sounded rather humbled, especially when asked about the Cowboys removing him from punt returns.

“I understand it,” Bryant said. “I don’t like it because I want to do it. I’m going to continue to keep working at it. It’s not hard for me to catch a punt. I just need to feel it in and stop looking upfield and think before catching the rock. That should be my first objective, to catch the ball and then go make a play.”

After Bryant’s muffed punt, and then lost fumble, he was replaced by receivers Cole Beasley and Dwayne Harris, who actually left practice Thursday with a neck injury and might be questionable to play this week.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...n-Trust-/76791486-52a9-4bd6-9978-4c55bd2df26f
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    So Austin and Beasley are the only receivers we have that aren't hurt? I am not sure how I feel about that.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,781 Likes Received
    I really like Dez, or what I get to see of him from his interviews. No way I let him return punts again. And if we had any WR depth of note at all, I'd sit him for a series after every busted route until he figures out what he's supposed to do on every play.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,540 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    Dez is too stupid to return punts.

Contemplate that for a second.
  5. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,601 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    :lmao2: I hate to agree but I agree.
  6. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Has nothing to do with stupid and everything to do with trying to do too much.
  7. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,092 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Uhh, yes it kind of does.

Essentially we can't use our best punt returner as a punt returner because we can't convince him to 'not try to do too much'.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,781 Likes Received
    On punt returns, yes. But when it comes to adjustments on the routes...
  9. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,816 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    :laugh1: :banghead:
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,650 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    And thats why teams passed on him. Jerry loves a "bargain".

He'd be a fine #2 Wr as is...but someone else needs to carry the #1(primary) load and Miles isnt up to that task most weeks.
  11. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I'm rooting for this kid so much, in both football and life. Relieving him of his punt return duties is probably a good idea. The fewer things he has to focus on is probably in his and the team's best interest.
  12. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
  13. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    However you choose to read it. I don't think dez is stupid I find it funny people who can’t do these things are the most critical.

I think the coaches are right to remove him from the unit given what has taken place with some bad judgment on his part and turnover he made. I also know he is a very dangerous man back there and has produced big plays returning punts. I think Dez will work hard to regain that trust.
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,759 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    How ridiculous, he's too dumb to return punts. Really?? It isn't rocket science; see ball, catch ball, run...I'm pretty certain he can understand the complexities of punt returns, the problem with Dez is that he wants to make a play each time the ball comes his way. He doesn't know any other way.
  15. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's insticts, and reflexes. That is it. He just needs to keep working on it. Really, it has nothing to do with him being stupid. Every single one of us here has certain things they do that they know they shouldn't, but it just happens anyways. Does that mean we are stupid?? Yelling at your kid, letting a cuss word out at not the right time, making a turn without your signal, etc, etc, etc.....

Because we do these things, we are stupid?? It obviously has nothing to do with intelligence - Dez KNOWS what he did was not what he should have done.
  16. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,321 Messages
    942 Likes Received
    You are trying to argue with someone who doesn't understand football. Instead of calling him and idiot I think said poster should look in the mirror and repeat it to himself. SMH