1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rep. Frank calls Scalia a 'homophobe' in interview

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 23, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    WASHINGTON – Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank called Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia a "homophobe" in a recent interview with the gay news Web site 365gay.com. The Democratic lawmaker, who is gay, was discussing gay marriage and his expectation that the high court would some day be called upon to decide whether the Constitution allows the federal government to deny recognition to same-sex marriages.

"I wouldn't want it to go to the United States Supreme Court now because that homophobe Antonin Scalia has too many votes on this current court," said Frank. The video of the interview is available online.

Attempts to obtain a comment from Frank were not immediately successful Monday. Scalia had no comment.

Scalia dissented from the court's ruling in 2003 that struck down state laws banning consensual ******. He has complained about judges, rather than elected officials, deciding questions of morality about which the Constitution is silent.

Controversial topics like gay rights and abortion should not be in the hands of judges, he has said, calling on people to persuade their legislatures or amend the Constitution.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090324/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_frank
  2. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've always gotten a kick out of the pop-culturists among us who coin words without so much as a clue as to what they created.

"Homophobia" literally means "fear of ones own kind".
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    A pig like frank has no grounds to judge anyone on anything.
  4. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,814 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Well, Barney, the ball is in your court. Go ahead and try to amend the constitution. You and the Dems control the executive and legislative branches and can try to amend the constitution at any time.

Or, is it easier to just get 5 people on the high court to do your dirty work?
  5. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,442 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    In this case, thank God for Scalia. :)
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,966 Likes Received
    Uh, no it doesn't.

Homophobia –noun unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality.

n.
    1. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
    2. Behavior based on such a feeling.
  7. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's people making up their own definitions. "Homophobia" is a compound word consisting of "homo" (same or similar), and "phobia" (fear). Nowhere in that word is an indication of sexuality. The correct word would have been "homosexualphobia". But you go right along with the pop-culture crowd making up stuff as you go.
  8. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    So I guess according to Franks anyone who stands against gay marriage is a homophob? :rolleyes:
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,966 Likes Received
    I gave you the Dictionary links to look it up yourself. Pick any Dictionary in the world and enter the word. I guarantee you that your definition of the word does not exist. If you think I am going to take your word over a Dictionary then you're delusional.

I can give you the etymology as well. That means the origin of the word or when it was first used. You will note that in each variation of the word is the pschological abstracts it is derived from the word "homosexual." Thus your assumption of the true meaning of the word is completely ludicrous.

Please note that even the word "homosexual" is considered a "hybrid" word. If you look closely at the etymology I linked above you will see why.

In case it goes right over your head "homo" comes from the Greek, and "sexual" from the Latin. Two different origins = hybrid word.

For the record "phobia" is considered Modern Latin which is a compilation of Greek and Latin. So though "homo" means "same," and "phobia" does mean "fear," it is derived from the word homosexual and thus it is incorrect to say it is "fear of the same." The etymology further illustrates this by giving you a slang shortened version of the word "homo." In 1929 people began to use that word to describe someone who was a "homosexual" not to describe "homosapiens" since we are all "homosapiens.

Thus in 1969 when the hybrid word "homophobia" was introduced into the lexicon it is correctly translated as "fear of those who are homo."

I know nothing of pop culture so that is a swing and a miss just like your first post. Strike two.

Sorry to wreck your little parade.
  10. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,783 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Well, if everything since 1971 is considered "history" as we know it......

Etymology

The word homophobia is a neologism coined by clinical psychologist George Weinberg in his book Society and the Healthy Homosexual in 1971. It combines the Greek words phobos, meaning "panic fear", with the prefix homo-, which means "the same".

........then your both right:rolleyes:
  11. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received

I say who cares as long as we can all agree Franks is an IDIOT :lmao2:
  12. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Hos even pwns in Dictionary Wars.

Back to the topic.... and to piggyback off heavyg's point...

According to Franks anyone who supports the Constitution and the procedures it sets forth for governing would be a homophobe.
  13. sbark

3,783 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    A Commie Idiot it would appear.........and yet his "basement" is on full Capitalist format it sounds like....:eek:

I wonder if the "workers" in his gay-bordelo basement got any "bonus's?"
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    Boy, this thread went south fast. ;)
  15. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Much like Barney Frank when he... oh wait... :eek:
  16. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,814 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Why is the south considered bad? Shouldn't the saying be "Boy, this thread went north fast?"
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    Did I say it was bad? That was your assumption based on your own prejudices and preconceived notions. :)

It's just a saying, relax. South is a direction, not a location.
  18. sbark

3,783 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    ....ya my fault there...I'll apologize for the bluntness:rolleyes: .....but I'm sitting watching Frank in Congressional hearings this morning....it galls me to no end to see this guy sitting in the position he is....after what he did with Fannie Mae, his basement and his stance on free markets.
  19. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not arguing that that isn't how it's used by the bastions of intellect in pop-culture. But this isn't making up a word like "QWYIGYBOW" to describe a new phenomenon. It is taking two existing words, that have actual, long-standing meanings, putting them together and then applying a meaning that is not a part of the meanings of either of the two words constituting the new word.

I don't care that dictionaries say that the word means what you say it does. Webster's for the longest time tried to fight the good fight in preserving the language. They lost. Thanks to our new "whatever we want it to be, it shall be" mentality. Because if you are right, then homogenized milk is milk that has been made homosexual throughout. Or a homogeneous population is a population conisisting entirely of homosexuals. It's also ironic that while you wave your dictionary definition around as gospel, if you look up the singular definitions of "homo" and "phobia" nowhere will you find anything regarding sex. You'll find "homo" means "same or similar", and "phobia" means fear. Sorry. Facts are stubborn things.

I fully understand I'm also fighting a losing fight. So be it. Ignorance is the new intellect. Blindly following the pop-culture herd is now the new critical thinking and application of logic.

So be it.
  20. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And for the sake of the sanity of everybody on this board, I'm done with my pedantic rant about the meaning of "homophobe". I'll take my slings and arrows peacefully. :eek::