1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Reparations for Apology for Slavery?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I doubt that number is accurate either.

We do know that Slave Ownership was limited to those with the proper funds.

However, I think most people associate Slave Ownership to big Southern Style Mansions with 100s of slaves when in reality, some of the things I have read said most slave owners owned just a few. The super wealthy were the ones who owned the Slave Plantations and hundreds of slaves and I could see them being 7% of the Southern Population.
  2. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously, to try and even make the claim that Blacks in the South owned almost as many slaves as Whites in the South is beyond ridiculous.

Not even worth arguing.
  3. Scranton Tiger

Scranton Tiger New Member

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No one has made a claim saying Blacks owned as many slaves as Whites. Only made the point that Blacks also owned slaves. Not just in the North, but in the South as well. You are right about one thing. It's not worth arguing about. You can't argue with a fact.

Also, just an FYI, don't get upset with the messanger. As I keep saying, I had NO IDEA what the truth was either until I started studying about it. It is also my hope that the folks who read this thread don't believe me at first. I hope they do some digging to try and prove me wrong. That's the only way people will believe truths like these. See it for themselves.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    who said that and who made that argument?

no one. but on this topic, you're about the least objective person around.
  5. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Depending upon what the population of the South was at the time this so-called stat was taken, 2% and 7% could very well be very close. That is why I said "almost".
  6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    in alot of towns and cities in the South, African-Americans outnumbered whites
  7. Scranton Tiger

Scranton Tiger New Member

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was a census. The Government is usually pretty anal about numbers like that. Especially where money is concerned. Since owners were taxed for their slaves, that number is probably EXTREMELY accurate.
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,074 Messages
    2,290 Likes Received
    His numbers are consistent with those reported in one of my college courses on the antebellum South.

Slave ownership was very expensive and cost prohibitive to the vast majority of Southerners.

Furthermore, a number of blacks owned slaves -- even white slaves -- as well. Obviously, though, the number of white slave owners dwarfed the number of black slave owners.
  9. iceberg

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    no. it makes sense when you think about it. but i still wonder how many of the overall % of the black population were slaves at the time?
  10. iceberg

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    so-called stat?

this must hit close to home for you to dismiss it so easily.
  11. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    there is a thesis that free blacks would buy family members, making them slave owners, but not actually enslaving their family members.
    the thought seems to hold true up to a certain time period...1850 ish, but after that more recent study has come up with freemen actually owning slaves as slave laborers.
    very interesting to read as i never thought about it before. i need to read more about it.
  12. ScipioCowboy

15,074 Messages
    2,290 Likes Received
    I have no idea.

But here's an interesting twist: Prior to the Civil War, blacks who were not slaves had virtually the same rights as whites. However, after the civil war when slavery was abolished, the rights of all blacks -- even those who had not been slaves -- were gradually usurped.
  13. DemonBlood

DemonBlood Member

905 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm Italian. We had no hand in American slavery that I know of...So no sorry from me.

...I will apologize for all the slavery the Roman Empire did though. :(
  14. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,285 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    So some of you actually believe that 96,000 blacks owned slaves?
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    Any yet the fact Obama is President and we have black congressmen, senators, mayors, Gov., judges, supreme court justice, fireman and policeman as well as all other professions say we are far removed from the past. This does not mean everyone will like you, hell I'm catholic and there are people who do not like me. That’s life. If people want to cling to the past then that is their right but no one owes anyone, anything.
  16. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where's my apology????!!????
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,012 Messages
    1,872 Likes Received
    Bach, I apologies to you. I apologies that this rediculous issue has ever become as big as it is. I apologies that I have posted this to begin with and I apologies that you have waisted 5 minutes of your life reading this that you will never ever get back.

:D
  18. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's an absurd claim.
  19. ScipioCowboy

15,074 Messages
    2,290 Likes Received
    I think the number is closer to 4,000.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,086 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    I've discussed this matter many times with a long-time buddy of mine whose family is from Nigeria.

Here's an incredibly politically incorrect question:

Would the majority of families that have African slaves as ancestors be better off if their family tree had remained in Africa or grown here in the USA?