1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Replace all the offensive coaches, but keep Garrett?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,185 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    I hate Garrett as a HC, he has proven he is awful at the job, I don't understand how is he still the HC this year.
    Saying all that, we've discussed this thing a thousand times, bottom line, he is still the HC of the Dallas Cowboys, I hope he proves me wrong and has a very succesful season.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    cml750 likes this.
  2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,351 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    There are usually around 5 or 6 new head coaches every year, and then you have to figure there are another 5 or 6 who are on the hot seat for the next year. Most coaches get at least 3 years, so basically you have 15-18 coaches who are basically rotated in and out over the course of three years. That's at least half the NFL. The other half of the coaches in the league are usually accomplishing something...

Garrett somehow has managed to come out of that unscathed despite not accomplishing ANYTHING...
  3. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,296 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    At what point does winning, or lack of, override likeability?

Or do we stick with a loser coach and watch the playoffs from the couch every year because he is such a great guy?
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,878 Messages
    4,695 Likes Received
    You'd have to ask the organization, but I'd imagine they think the reasons we haven't won more aren't primarily related to the head coach. At least, that's how they're acting.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,119 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    Bye
  6. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Yes, I was waiting for the typical ignore list comment and here it is. My night is complete.
  7. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,408 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    it's typical because the post is also.
    Red's changing the culture of the Cowboy's and a tad slow for everybody. It is changing however.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  8. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Ah yes the mystical "culture change" that no one can describe, but are still positive that it is happening.
    McLovin, khiladi, Doomsay and 2 others like this.
  9. Galian Beast

8,351 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    That is the nature of the business more so than it is Jason Garrett. Many coaches have turned teams around in less time than Garrett. Since he has been here, the offense has devolved, not evolved and so has the defense.

Look at the list of coaches 9 above and 5 below... all who put together their teams with less time than Garrett... You can't argue against the facts, so just dismiss it? Congrats, I guess..
  10. Galian Beast

8,351 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    Somehow I'm wrong about how many new coaches there are per year... I might have even been conservative...

new coaches from 2014
    Mike Pettine - Browns
    Jim Caldwell - Lions
    Bill Obrien - Texans
    Mike Zimmer - Vikings
    Lovie Smith - Bucs
    Ken Whisenhunt - Titans
    Jay Gruden - Redskins

New coaches from 2013 still with their teams?
    Bruce Arians - Cardinals
    Doug Marrone - Bills
    Marc Trestman - Bears
    Gus Bradley - Jaguars
    Andy Reid - Chiefs
    Chip Kelly - Eagles
    Mike McCoy - Chargers

2012?
    Chuck Pagano - Colts
    Joe Philbin - Dolphins
    Dennis Allen - Raiders
    Jeff Fisher - Rams

18 coaches... More than half the league...

Now let's look at the 2011 crop of coaches

Ron Rivera - Panthers (just went to divisional round)
    Jon Fox - Broncos (went to super bowl)
    Jim Harbaugh - 49ers (went to the super bowl, and nfc championship 2x)

Now let's look at Garrett's class (and I say that only by the people who got hired in the same year, as he certainly is not in their league).

Jason Garrett - Cowboys
    Pete Carroll - Seahawks

That's it...

Carroll took his team to the super bowl in the same amount of time Garrett has failed to even take the team to the playoffs...

No reason Garrett should still be the head coach of this team based on performance.

29-27 as head coach, no playoff berths, terrible record against +.500 teams.

Outside of Rex Ryan and Marvin Lewis every other coach that has been there as long or longer has at least a double digit lead in wins over losses.
  11. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Well I guess they shoulda fired Tom Landrys sorry butt for only winning 9 games in his first 3 years. You guys that live in this "everyone is better than Garrett" world are a JOKE, Bill Bellichic was 20-27 his first 3 years a s a head coach, Tom coughlin was 24-24 in his first 3 years. Your lucky theres open forums with moderators who let people voice their opinions and thoughts no matter if they're right wrong or have one ounce of truth supporting them. This goes for me too but get real dude Marvin Lewis has a 514 winning record and has 3 8-8 seasons in his first 4 seasons but you wanna trash the coach of MY team by using these people as examples? get real LOL BTW I like allot of the posts you do but this one is based on QUICKSAND.
    theSHOW and 5Stars like this.
  12. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,600 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    29-27 record with about 20-36 talent. Give him an extension.
  13. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

LOL Landry talk. Always cute when you compare clownshoes to a guy that was a top notch coach taking over an expansion team with no expansion draft.

PS. Bellichick won the division and a playoff game with the Browns in their last season.

PPS. Coughlin took an expansion team to the AFC Champs game and won 2 playoff games in his second season.

Educate yourself before your wreck yourself.
    Beast_from_East and Galian Beast like this.
  14. Galian Beast

8,351 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    Yes, use Tom Landry as an example when the NFL was a completely different platform at the time. Coaches in this day and age get less time to put teams together. Tom Landry never had to deal with free agency, had a completely different draft as well. Also was the HC for an expansion team... but yeah... same exact scenario that Garrett is in....

Marvin Lewis brought his team to 11-5 in his 3rd year, and took them to the playoffs in that year. Garrett is going into this 5th year as a head coach if you count his time as interim. Not to mention he was already offensive coordinator. Marvin Lewis went 8-8 his first two years, and what were the Bengals before him? 2-14... 6-10, and 4-12. 4-12, 3-13...

Your other example was Bill Belichick? Who got fired after his 4th year as head coach?
    Coy and Beast_from_East like this.
  15. Galian Beast

8,351 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    I missed the coughlin reference. It has never taken Coughlin more than 2 years to get his team into the playoffs...
    Beast_from_East likes this.
  16. Beast_from_East

14,296 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Its getting comical at this point for even the homers to come up with reasons Garrett should stay head coach.

They certainly cannot point to the scoreboard or standings as to why he should stay so they have to point to "culture change", whatever the hell that is. All I know is that we were making the playoffs fairly regularly (2003, 2006, 2007, 2009) and then Redball showed up and nothing.

So what type of culture change goes from making the playoffs regularly to not even being able to break 500? And keep in mind we have a franchise QB during this whole time, even Jerry says "you don't rebuild with Tony Romo".

Just curious what type of culture change is positive that virtually ends a string of playoff appearances?
    Coy likes this.
  17. Beast_from_East

14,296 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Game.........set...........match

/thread
    Galian Beast likes this.
  18. Beast_from_East

14,296 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    LMAO..........is that why Jerry said he "loaded up" to compete for the playoffs and SB the last couple of seasons because "that was our time".

Notice he is talking in the past tense, even he knows Garrett is not winning jack.
    cml750 likes this.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,205 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    Please. He has a QB which is more than a fair share of the league can say.

And we're well beyond any sort of period where the lack of talent doesn't reflect poorly on Garrett.

If the team is lacking talent now after 3 seasons, how many more until they have just an average amount of talent?
    Galian Beast likes this.
  20. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,408 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    then why do so many
    Yes I get your drift,when a term isn't useful to the cause 'lets mystify it.
    Idgit likes this.