1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: REPORT: Jerry wants TO *merged*

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Feb 25, 2006.

1. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I was in boot camp the entire first season of the 90's run. I was embarassed for the team with a lot of the incidents that I knew about. I was busy enough not to know about all the off the field stuff for the first two wins, but sure enjoyed those Super Bowls. Are we as Dallas fans to make a focused effort to get back to those off the field issue days??

I prefer a teamwork attitude and a playoff run to thugs and punks winning a Super Bowl. There's something about sportsmanship and class that's bigger than a championship. I know the Cowboys of the 90's could have won without the off the field issues, in fact, lawsuits and off the field distractions probably cost them an extra championship, maybe two.

Terrell Owens won't be part of a championship football team. That will be proven over time.
  2. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,777 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    You were a Marine? Did you deploy to the first Gulf War?
  3. kojak

kojak Who Loves Ya Baby?

2,311 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    WTH!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I should stay more tuned in these days. I hope this doesn't happen. I would hate to see 3 years thrown down the toilet if things wern't going as planned in TO's eyes.

This is just Jerry foaming at the mouth. Please Bill don't let this happen.
  4. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    If you want team work and class go watch women's NCAA basketball or the WNBA. I take it you have never really been in a football locker room. I would hardly define that as a classy bunch of guys. Trust me when I say this. All teams have done A LOT of dirt that we never see and hear about.

If you think the Cowboys team could have won without those players then you are crazy. They were playmakers. Replace irvin iwth a clean cut guy and I wonder what happens.

Since it seems like you like the patriots I suggest you might want to go root for them. But I can promise you that they have done just as much dirt as anyone else. Hell didn't Ty Law get popped coming across the border with some X?
  5. nathanlt

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    So you couldn't care any less if the all the Cowboys on the team were thugs and punks. Do you understand this?
    T.O. will never be a part of a championship team.
  6. nathanlt

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I joined in late 1992, in the Marine Reserve, and didn't exactly live well enough for satellite TV down in Florida. The Marines are a rough group of guys, not the symbol of the highest morals, but they know teamwork and brotherhood better than about any organization, anywhere.

Now I realize that seems a little ironic, given that I want the Cowboys to be high class. Not all Cowboys were high class, but T.O. is about as far as you can get from teamwork and brotherhood.

Some of that comment was directed at the other discussions on the thread, but how about you? Were you in the Marines as well?
  7. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    :hammer: Case closed...
  8. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    TO is not a Thug, and what is your definition of a punk? Doyou even know what a Thug is? There are very few guys in the NFL I woudl call thugs and most of them dont' last more than two or three years. TO is a Narcicist. He is out spoken. Like it or not he is one of the top 3 recievers in the league. His work ethic is second to none. When it comes to WORK no one works harder than him. He has a burning desire to achieve all that he can. I dont' question his dedication to the team, however he will speak his mind. Perhaps what he really lacks is tact.
  9. nathanlt

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    No, the case is not closed. When the fans stop wanting teamwork and high class hardworking guys, then it's really over.

Don't you know anything about this current Dallas team? It's about hard work and staying out of trouble. Parcells doesn't have the patience for thugs and punks. T.O. and Parcells don't mix, and as I've said before, T.O. will never be part of a championship team.
  10. nathanlt

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    You seriously don't question his dedication to the team, huh? How has T.O. been dedicated to the 49ers, Ravens or Eagles? Has he ever displayed any selflessness at any point in his career? Don't let his talent blind you,

HE'S NOT WORTH IT.
  11. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,234 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    Put it to you this way. Coach Johnson never had a problem with it. And we won. We started with this whole character issue beginning with the Greg Ellis draft pick and that whole method of thinking has gotten us where exactly?

It's a good thing you missed it all. Because you probably would have just been sickened to death by all the "thugs and punks".

I strongly doubt it. One of the biggest ringleaders of those "thugs" was Michael Irvin. Alvin Harper and Nate Newton were regulars at the "White House". Mark Tuinei also was no saint.

Take away those four players, we probably don't win the titles. Still a good team, but no Michael Irvin, no rings. Period.

And people also have a romanticized version of what they THINK the old Dallas Cowboys were. Well, that's a falsehood generated by watching too many documentaries and not having the same flow of information we have now.

Don Meredith was a notorious troublemaker and partier. Larry Cole and the rest of the Zero Club were good old boys and far from choir boys themselves. Bob Hayes had a drug problem. Duane Thomas was Terrell Owens before he even thought about it.

Not every player from the old Cowboys were Roger Staubach or Bob Lilly with their white hats on.

He was nearly part of one in 2004. But since they lost, his contributions to that Super Bowl berth are conveniently ignored because it makes everyone feel better.
  12. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    'Thungs and punks' seem to be the new buzz-phraze for a player people don't like. TO is neither of these. He has never been in legal trouble and doesn't go around hitting women or frequenting strip bars. What he has done is openly berate his QB's and demand to be paid. Perhaps he is an attention seeker. Perhaps he has little or no tact. Perhaps he is all about himself off the field. I know this, on the field he does everything he can to win. I can do without the drama but TO is a top player and not a thug or a punk.
  13. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    How do they not mix. TO doesn't drink, he doesn't do drugs, he is a workout warrior, he puts an ungodly amount of time in perfecting his body and keping it healthy as well as studies game film and the playbook constantly. He is everything Parcells likes in a player. KJ has been shooting his mouth off for years, even when he was with parcells. Parcells don't care if you run your mouth as long as you are producing on the field and staying out of trouble.

Please stop romanticizing football. It is not a "classy sport" yes football is about team work, but you still have to have playmakers to win, they are what put you over the top in today's NFL. Yes a certain degree of teamwork is requeired in the sport but that is not what it is about. Field a team that has great team work and field a team that has a ok team work and a bunch of playmakers guess who wins? This is football, not a bunch of guys who go to the country club tasting cheese and sipping wine when they are doen playing ball.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Well damn if he is that good please explain the fact he has no ring what so ever. No one is saying a player has to be a saint but you don't go on ESPN and rip teammates you do not cause distraction that can hurt your team. For people to push TO problems off on Reid or SF coaches is a cop out the problem plain and simple is TO which is why no team is rushing to give Philly a damn thing for him. Some one will take a chance on him but just as I predicted when TO went to Philly I will predict the same for the next team "Buyer Beware" and don't act suprised or shocked if TO once again wears out his welcome.
  15. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IF we do sign TO...what do we do with Key and/or Terry Glenn? I know Key would not want to be the 3rd WR nor would Terry. It would just disrupt the team more and we all know the mouth Keyshawn has. Throw TO in the mix...if we don't win a lot, it'd be hell on Earth.
  16. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,777 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Nah I was in the Army. 101st Airborne Division. Participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom from February 2002- February 2003 as army medic. I only stayed in for four years and got out. Now is not a good time to be in the armed forces, especially if you don't support the President and his foreign policy.
  17. nathanlt

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    This is to say nothing of the financial burden he would place on the team. I don't even know what his total price was for Philly, but T.O. will want a 100 million dollar contract, I'm sure. I wouldn't want him for even a 1 million single year contract. He hates the Cowboys, and now he wants to take money from us? No way.
  18. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    He hates us so much he wore an Irvin jersey? How do you even know what kind of money he wants. Is he going to want to be paid like a top receiver? YEs he will, does he understand that because of the outbursts that it will be an incentive laden contract? I am sure he is fully aware of it.

Why would teams give up a draft pick for a guy you KNOW is going to be cut in a week?
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Teams do it every year because they don't want to get into a bidding war for a player that is why teams will pull trades even for players they know will be released. Philly has yet to even be offered a 7th rd pick for TO that is how highly teams around the league feel about him. As for what TO understands I don't think he understand much at all if he did he would not be looking for his 3rd team and if he could control his mouth he would not need a contract to be incentive laden. There is no doubt the man has talent but he has done enough BS that many teams in the league would not touch the idiot. I just hope like hell our management is smart enough to not deal with him.
  20. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,234 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I am sure Deion "hated" the Cowboys.

And Kevin Burnett was a lifelong 49er fan. He probably "hated" the Cowboys too.

:rolleyes: