1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Sean Payton to attend NFL owners meetings; Fox open to analyst role

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cajuncocoa, Mar 25, 2012.

1. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,412 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    Posted: 2:50 pm March 25, 2012

Sean Payton is suspended for the entire 2012 season because of his role in the Saints bounty scandal, and CBSSports.com's Clark Judge has the right idea when he said that Payton's "road to recovery should begin with a trip to Florida" for the owners meetings, where he face the media.

Looks like Payton listened to Clark, because he's reportedly "planning to attend" the meetings in Florida. That's according to Adam Schefter of ESPN, who also reports that Saints GM Mickey Loomis is currently planning to join Payton there.

Payton will be asked plenty of tough questions by the large media contingent in Florida. But he's pretty talented at handling tough questions already; expect him to sound forthright without giving up too much information on "Bountygate."

read more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...-nfl-owners-meetings-fox-open-to-analyst-role
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,244 Messages
    2,669 Likes Received
    If he becomes an analyst, you pretty much have to fire him as coach.

NFL should have added that the suspension included any football related things as well. Becoming an analyst in the off-year is basically a reward for breaking the rules, when he's supposed to be suspended.

If I were him, well, first I wouldn't have allowed a bounty program. But if I were in this position I would take the time off starting next week to spend some time with my family that I left in Texas to continue coaching in New Orleans.
  3. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,412 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    The NFL says

"His involvement in any non-N.F.L. employment or business matters is not our decision."

True. But giving FOX Network another tv contract IS their decision to make. I don't think this would be a good idea for all parties involved.
  4. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,460 Messages
    394 Likes Received
    Bounties have been around since the NFL began.

This kind of move should have been a league wide decision.
  5. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    The NFL could prohibit him from working witha another professional football league (CFL) because he's under contract with the NFL (Saints), despite his suspension.

But it cannot prohibit him from working on television as an analyst. The only authority the league would have is if the NFL Network (owned by the league) asked him to be an analyst. Other than that, the NFL can't prohibit him from working during his suspension.
  6. tyke1doe

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    But the league told the Saints to stop, and they didn't. And not only did they not stop, coaches had full knowledge that the bounties were taking place and did nothing to stop them.
  7. tyke1doe

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received

Actually, FOX would be giving the NFL its business. Besides, those contracts are bid on anyway. If FOX contributes the most money, they get to broadcast NFL games. If they don't, they won't.

You don't remove your nose to spite your face.
  8. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Wouldn't he be able to give advice to the Saints? I'm not sure all what he'd be able to do, but I'm sure he'd still be able to help the Saints.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,233 Likes Received
    Crazy world. The guy screws up in the NFL and gets punished by the NFL so one of the main networks rewards him with a gig?
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    stupid move by FOX if true... don't reward wrong
  11. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And so, kids, as you can see: Lying and cheating is a bad, er, unfortunate, er, uh, rewarded thing. Oh, I give up. Do what you want.
  12. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was thinking about this too. What's going to stop Payton from communicating with the Saints? If you think about it, he could almost still help them without being on the sideline via text, email, etc.
  13. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Has Mara approved this yet?:rolleyes: