1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Texans Getting Serious About Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Apr 24, 2011.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I just got this one a few minutes ago but it appears the Texans may be involved in trade talks with the 2 teams in the top 5 about moving up to secure either Von Miller or Patrick Peterson. I can confirm one is the Denver Broncos who have been trying like mad cats to get out of that spot. The other I can only speculate would be the Bengals or Cardinals. I can't see the Bill trading out of 3 with a chance to land Miller or one of the QB and the idea of trading into the #1 slot and the cost you would pay to draft a OLB or a CB seems absurd.
  2. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Kubiak still has a lot of ties to the Broncos, so I could see the trade up from that angle. But they're far from being close enough to compete to just give up high draft picks for one player.
  3. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Seen crazier things and if there is one thing I do know well it's that the Bronocs want nothing to do with the #2 selection and now that I think about it. It plays right into the reports I have heard about them wanting to walk away from this draft with additional picks next year and more specifically an additional #1 to put them into the Andrew Luck race. You know John Elways, Stanford.............:D
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I know Peter King in particular has said they want to trade up for Peterson, but I find it more plausible that they want someone like Quinn or maybe Miller.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,574 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    Would make sense for the Texans to want to get Peterson. Their secondary was pathetic last year.

I kind of hope they do it so we can be forced to address our real problem areas like OL, DL, and FS.
  6. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I was thinking along similar lines. I believe it would be much cheaper to move up a few slots from Quinn or Aldon Smith.
  7. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,367 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    It's gotta be for PP.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,474 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    The guy they want is Von Miller

I have read numerous reports about how much they (specifically wade) love him...
  9. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    299 Likes Received

now that makes a hell of a lot of sense. Move out of 2, pick up #11, #43 and next years #1. Its a lot for the texans to give up but its Kubiaks last stand and teaming PP with Kareem Jackson gives them a good young tandem to grow together.
  10. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    I think it's for Von Miller.
  11. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm going to be a happy SOB either way come draft day I feel.

If they trade up for Peterson I'll be ecstatic. If they look OL or DL I'm fine with that as well as long as him name is not Nate Solder.

Heck they can trade down and be pick whores and land Pouncey, Heyward, Carimi or Sherrod and I'll be fine with that as well.
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Then they are going to have to get that 2nd pick from the Broncos because the Bills are not likely to pass on Miller and if they do he will only last to 5.
  13. Chocolate Lab

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yeah, Wade has always been more front-seven oriented and passrush oriented in particular, and as far as I know they don't really have any OLB passrushers.

Like you say, I wouldn't be surprised if they take Aldon Smith if they can't get Quinn. (I'm assuming Miller would take too much of a move up.) Smith might even fall to them where they are.

Edit, Glorydays beat me to it. Miller would play the Ware role and as a little bonus, I'm sure would play very well in Houston as many A&M fans as there are there. But I keep thinking how Wade always said Butler was too small. My money would be on Quinn, just purely as a guess.
  14. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    I could see Aldon being there. It would cost a ton to get to 2 for Von.
  15. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I know their is concern that Washington is hot on Aldon Smith and thus one of the reasons they were discussing a trade with our Boys at 9.

I mean if you ask me trading a 4th to move up 2 spots to 9 and getting Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn or Cameron Jordan who are all players they are targeting makes a whole lot more sense then selling the farm for Von Miller who I'm not certain is that much better then Quinn or Smith.
  16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Damn I hope it's miller I really wanna have a shot at Peterson. We can't compete what the texans are willing to give up. There probably gunna trade a first a second and a third
  17. Chocolate Lab

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    On that note... Do you think the Skins really want Smith? That smells like a smokescreen to me. I could see Jones, or even their wanting to move up for a QB before that. I keep thinking about how Shanahan kept the Cutler pick a total secret even inside their building until the morning of that draft.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,574 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    I'd be happy with anyone except Nate Solder.
  19. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could live with that. :)
  20. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Wouldn't that kind of work very well with a situation I have read on this board a couple of times, Dallas giving up next years first and picks this year by moving up to grab Peterson, while also selecting Smith or Castonzo? The exact scenario is beyond me to figure out though.