1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Reporter Admits Dreaming About Taking Out Giuliani

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by CowboyPrincess, Oct 24, 2008.

1. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Former Newsweek Reporter Admits Dreaming About Taking Out Giuliani
    A former Newsweek reporter who followed Rudy Giuliani around during the Republican presidential primary campaign admits he has no objectivity and wanted Giuliani off the trail.

A former Newsweek reporter admitted in an article this week that he has no objectivity and imagined disabling Rudy Giuliani so he wouldn't run in the presidential primary race last year.

Michael Hastings wrote in GQ magazine that he had a "recurring fantasy" that he could somehow stop the former New York City mayor in his tracks.

"I quickly realized Rudy was a maniac. I had a recurring fantasy in which I took him out during a press conference (it was nonlethal, just something that put him out of commission for a year or so), saving America from the horror of a President Giuliani. If that sounds like I had some trouble being 'objective,' I did. Objectivity is a fallacy," he said.

Hastings said he wasn't the only reporter who despised Giuliani, although he frequently tried to appear sympathetic to his campaign staff so he could get information from them.

"I wasn’t alone in the press corps. I don't think I spoke to another journalist who ever said one good thing about the man. What did we say? We made fun of his divorces and his wives, that he’d married a second cousin, that he surrounded himself with corrupt cronies, that he had a piss-poor relationship with his children, etc. We talked about his megalomania and his cynical exploitation of September 11.," Hastings wrote.

Hastings also wrote that John McCain's view on war troubles him.

"He seemed to have gone just a little crazy, Captain Ahab-style," he wrote, referring to the main character in the novel Moby Dick.

The admission is the second time in a week that a reporter admitted he could not be objective. New Orleans Times-Picayune entertainment reporter Chris Rose said he and the entire newspaper staff looked at the world differently after Hurricane Katrina.

"There's no pretending to be objective. What we're fighting to save here is our city, our culture, and by extension, our jobs, our houses, our schools. When we write this s---, we don’t just report the stuff and let it fall where it may. We’ve got way too much at stake to be dispassionate observers covering a sporting event and not caring who wins," Rose said in an interview with Vermont Web site, 7D
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    How few are that honest.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yeah imagine a President Guiliani: tough on crime, the experience of running an administration, taking absolutely no crap... oh the horror. :cool:

I'd vote for Rudy in a minute and it has nothing to do with the overblown 9/11 crap that makes the cover of editorial magazines. The man has proven he knows how to run the show and I love NY because of it.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Yeah I notice none of our resident libs are commenting here. What a surprise.