1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Retire Emmitt's #22?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Nov 29, 2005.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,129 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Watching Emmitt on NFL network. Running all over Giants. LOL

I say Yes.

No one should ever don that starred number again.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,720 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Of course.:bow:
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Dallas doesn't offically retire numbers instead they just don't issue certain numbers such as #12. They might do it in TC but once the season starts they switch them.
  4. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,606 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Doens't Reeves or Jones wear #33? I think that one should have consideration also.
  5. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,574 Messages
    1,088 Likes Received
    I'm a big Emmitt Smith fan but I don't think numbers should be retired. I don't have a problem with a "ceremonial" retiring of a number but future players should not be prevented from using it. Too many good players in Cowboys history have used the same numbers.
  6. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Yes and I have never thought that was right.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know this. Not just the casual fan either. I hear it on ESPN or FoxSports.
  8. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If they don't issue 12 or 74, then 54 and 33 should be off-limits too. But they're not. Apparently, some former HOF players are valued more than others.
  9. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,593 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    The Cowboys have far too many great players in their history to retire numbers. We all look forward to many more years of great players. Numbers are required by the league to be only those numbers between 1 and 99. At least 53 of those numbers have to be used for the season in addition to the numbers used by players added to the roster as the season progresses. That would leave 30-40 numbers that you could set aside and not use anymore.
    Emmitt was great, but so were many, many other players. How could you just pick out one or two for that honor. Retiring numbers is not the right way to do it. That is why the ring of honor was invented.
  10. EndGame

EndGame Active Member

1,232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When the Triplets were inducted into the Ring of Honor, one of the announcers on the national TV broadcast referred to it as "retiring their numbers". Pfft.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Logistically, they simply can't retire numbers. Like Yeager said, they typically don't issue those numbers.

I choked seeing Caver wear #54, but with all the LBers on this team and the requirements of players to wear certain numbers, it certainly limits you.

I sincerely doubt we see 8, 12, 74 or 22 issued anytime during the regular season in the near future.
  12. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,119 Messages
    1,184 Likes Received
    i've heard it before but am usually "reminded" when it comes up again. overall i'd have to agree that if you have a policy you just stick with it. if they've made a conscious decision to NOT retire *any* number then cool, it just won't happen regardless. it would be hard for any player to top what emmitt did, but i'm glad they stay with their own guidlines.
  13. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    If we retired numbers what number would Emmitt have worn? Bob Hays was the original #22.
  14. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The problem, as has been pointed out, is that you would quickly run out of numbers. One issue that compounds that is that the numbers are assigned by position as follows:

0-19: QBs, Kickers, & WRs
    20-49: RBs & DBs
    50-59: OLs & LBs
    60-79: OLs & DLs
    80-89: WRs & TEs
    90-99: LBs & DLs

So during the season a team may use 53 on the active roster plus the guys on the practice squad, plus guys on IR typically don't "lose" their number so you could have as many as 70 players with numbers assigned to them and that is just during the season.

In Training Camp and pre-season teams will use almost every number available as they can have close to 90 guys with numbers assigned to them.

Bob Lilly's #74 has never been worn in the regular season by anyone else but it is frequently assigned during TC & pre-season because they have so many linemen. I don't remember if it was Ratliff or Canty that was wearing it this year before the season started but they changed it once they knew the guy was going to make the team (remember, Canty wasn't expected to play at all this year).

If you really think about it, Emmitt should have never worn #22 since it had been Bob Hayes' number and would have been retired in another sport with less active players on the team like baseball, basketball, or hockey.

The only ones I can see not being used again are: 74, 12, 8, & 22, in that order. 88 has been worn several times since Irvin retired because there just aren't enough numbers available for all the WRs & TEs we usually carry.
  15. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Only give it to a player who may be great. Bob Hayes made 22 great before Emmitt did; let the tradition continue (though not for some time).
  16. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,574 Messages
    1,088 Likes Received
    For me personally, I like wondering and hoping that the players wearing famous numbers of the past will live up to the reputation of that number. Irvin did it with #88 which was worn by Pearson. Smith did it with #22 which was worn by Hayes.

I think that's why so many of us had such high hopes for Antonio Bryant when he wore #88. We felt like he could be the next star to wear that number.

I will admit it bothers me when I see offensive or defensive players wearing the numbers of players who played on the other side of the ball. A good example is Darren Woodson and #28 .. Seeing Tyson Thompson wearing that number just irritates me. Perhaps it's because Darren was probably my all-time favorite Cowboys player, but seeing an offensive player wearing a former defensive star's number just doesn't feel right for me.
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,476 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    Quarterbacks are always going to be regarded with higher respect than other positions. Staubach was just something special. So was Lilly. A few years ago ESPN had him ranked as the top defensive lineman of all time I believe
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Animal Farm: "Some animals are more equal than others." A journeyman like Caver should not be wearing 54. Certainly another number in the 50s was available.
  19. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,247 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Never...Emmitt was great, but he doesn't deserve to have his # retired...not ever.

If Dallas was the type of team to retire numbers, then Emmitt would have never worn #22 because it would have been retired after Hayes.

Randy White would have never worn #54 because it would have retired with Chuck Howley.

Michael Irvin would have never worn #88 because it would have retired with Drew Pearson.

WAsn't Eric Williams #79? Harvey Martin.

The list goes on and on....I love the fact that we don't retire numbers. I love to see young players wearing the numbers I loved for so long and hoping they'll live up to it.
  20. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,476 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    Actually, 54 was the last 50s available. They could have used something in the 90s.

50 Fujita
    51 Singleton
    52 Johnson
    53 Thornton on injured reserve
    54 Caver just got it
    55 Fowler
    56 James
    57 Burnet
    58 Shanle
    59 Nguyen