1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Return of the delayed draw

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 17, 2012.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,768 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    This has probably already been discussed, but I was extremely happy to see that Jason Garrett found the missing page of his playbook with the delayed draw on it.

Like it had been before this season, it was used to great effect against Philadelphia.

I also liked the fullback dive showing up, even if it only worked one of the two times it was used.

We need more of those kind of plays to catch defense offguard.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,310 Messages
    6,288 Likes Received
    Yeah, I was happy to see it too. This line can't get any push. Might as well try to scheme some with the draws. We caught the Eagles off guard a few times early in the game.
  3. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,941 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    How about some screen passes now? That was supposed to be one of Felix's strengths.
  4. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,125 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I don't give Garrett at all. Why was it removed from the playbook in the first place? If he would have left things that have worked before than maybe our offense wouldn't be in such dire shape.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,310 Messages
    6,288 Likes Received
    Seconded. Seems odd we don't do it more. Maybe they don't trust the blockers to execute it properly.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    It may be Felix's strength but I don't think it is a strength of this patchwork OL. Even the Eagles who love to screen more than anyone haven't been running as many with their patchwork OL.

You need a lot of cohesiveness along the OL to run the ball and even moreso to run a screen.
  7. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,768 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    I was going to mention that in my OP, but thought I was asking too much. :)
  8. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,941 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Perhaps you are right, but that is pretty pathetic that we don't have the personnel to execute a screen pass. Its one of the best ways to slow down a pass rush. Its just another example of how Romo gets little help.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I sometimes wonder if the problem isn't that Romo can't throw screen passes very well. Part of the screen pass is the QB has to draw the DL in and then lob it over them to the RB or TE who has slipped out from the protection scheme.

I seem to remember us throwing more of them when Kitna was the QB. Felix actually caught a lot of balls over the last half of the 2010 season and we actually scored quite a few points over that stretch.

I really do think it should be made a priority to get interior OL who can move in space so the screen game can work better. We actually seemed to be moving in that direction in 2011 but then the injuries struck to Nagy. Then this year Nagy went down followed by Killer and Costa this year.

The sad part is that I think they actually did go after OGs who can run the screen better than last year's group but the last minute replacement with Cook probably cancelled all of that.
  10. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,207 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I've been happy to see the Cowboys running the ball from 11 personnel with Romo under center.