1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Revisit DE...opinions changed?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We desperately need to improve the speed, athleticism and versatility of the defensive front 7. There isn't just one position that needs to be upgraded. The entire unit is slow and lacks athleticism. While everyone else is infatuated with the idea of getting some fat guy to play NT and moving Ratliff to DE, I would be more focused on getting smaller and faster. I would cascade players inside to improve the overall speed of the unit. Moving Spears inside full time, moving Spencer to DE and getting an athletic OLB is more in line of what I'm thinking.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I noted what you said and to a degree I'm going to go with the agree to disagree route :D

With that said, I would prefer a Kerrigan type over a flat out replacement for Spencer. Not that it matters this year because that guy simply is not in this draft. sooo........by default I too would rather replace Spencer at this point.
  3. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I guess that falls under the "agree to disagree" part because Kerrigan would be a replacement for Spencer. That is the position he would play. Not Spears, not Hatchers. He'd be an OLB, not with his hand in the dirt in a 3man front.

I think you'll get a lot of funny looks, not just from me, if you call Kerrigan a 3-4 end including from the Redskins HC.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/s...n-Defensive-Rookie-of-the-Year-136048228.html

4. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Agree to disagree...if he lines up at DE for a majority of his snaps he is playing DE.

Simple terminology disagreement.
  5. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    what about Chandler Jones from Syracuse? What kinda stock does he have right now, I would definitely take him in the 2nd or 3rd.. Not sure where he will fall, but I watched a couple of Cuse games this year & he impressed me at times
  6. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Interesting name, not a lot of fan fare or media attention.

Playing for Syracuse probably does not help but he missed 5 games this past season and it hurt his numbers. He was productive when on the field. At one point and this may come as a shock to some he had a pretty secure 1st round grade if he decided to come out. I think he settles somewhere in round 2 at this point but he is someone no one is talking about.

He has great technique and plays with power. Also very fluid for a big guy. I don't see a lot of Pro-Bowl caliber potential with him but I think he will have a long productive career in the NFL and is the type of guy teams need on a roster.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Spencer runs into problems when we ask him to do linebacker things.

Have him line up and put his hand down and just beat the guy in front of him. Line up Ware behind him at OLB - who you gonna block?
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,566 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    DE would have to be a difference maker like Ingram. Pass rush has to be priority one.
  9. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,823 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    SD, I just noticed the mock in your sig. I LOVE your first four picks and the Shea McClellin selection. Now, if you could work Derek Wolf in there somehow and replace Davis with Matt Daniels, it'd be perfect. :D
  10. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Glad McClellin rings a bell with someone. The kid is a player and just flat out productive. Not to mention he knows how to find a QB!
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I'd agree it is a terminology disagreement. I'm not sure you are differentiating between a 3-4 end and pass rushing end in nickel/dime situations.

Saying DE and 3-4 DE are two completely different things. Like I said before, putting your hand on the ground in the nickel isn't a "3-4 end".

Kerrigan is a 3-4 OLB. Does he stick his hand on the ground in nickel and dime? Yes. So do Ware and Spencer on occasion.

The starting 3-4 ends for Dallas are Coleman and Hatcher. For Washington, it's Carriker and Bowen. Kerrigan could not and does not play those positions.

Now you've got people on the board thinking you can transition Spencer to end in the base 3-4.

The premise of your original post is wrong.

Kerrigan is not a 3-4 end. He's a 3-4 OLB. He plays end in nickel and dime fronts, but the role of that pass rushing position and a 3-4 end are entirely different.

Traditionally, 3-4 ends do not get as many sacks in the 3-4 as the OLBers. Their job is to engage and control the LOS freeing up the pass rushers to get to the QB. Occasionally you have a rare talent like Watt or Seymour that get a decent number of sacks.

And, finally, it isn't like Watt even had that many sacks. 5.5? Hatcher had 4.5.
  12. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Who is going to stop the run?
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,449 Messages
    3,016 Likes Received
    Really like Derek Wolfe in the 2nd round.

Agreed on the Cowboy 3-4 DE's. For the most part they're "stiffs", who are easily handled one-on-one by opposing linemen. What's needed is one guy who can pickup a handful of sacks as a 3-4 DE.
  14. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So where is Crick going 1 or 2?
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Bruce Carter, Sean Lee?
  16. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Late 1, early 2 :p:
  17. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    that doesn't mean he can hold at the point of attack in a 3-4 base. lots of 3-4 olbs play de on passing downs, but would get killed on rushing downs, and kerrigan would too.

But overall, I agree that a 3-4 DE would be a good selection. I'm torn between Devon Still in round 1 and David DeCastro. Hopefully we fill one of those needs in free agency.
  18. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm a Penn St fan, graduate and homer and I don't even know if I would take Still. Todays game was a prime example why. He should of dominated that game and you would be hard pressed to know he was even in uniform. He is way too hot and cold for me.
  19. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    so what DEs do you think carry a first round grade? Quinton Coples could fall to us on draft day, but he was a bit dissappointing all season. Crick would be a good option, maybe in round 2 after trading down or even round 3.
  20. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    It's a weak class for DE's. I love Winn and Crick in the 2nd. You can add Brandon Thompson to that list as well.

In the 1st the only one I would consider is Fletcher Cox or Coples.