1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rex Ryan: Rob wanted to draft JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Oct 8, 2012.

1. IheartRomo

IheartRomo Member

512 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Skills don't translate slightly from side to side as an OT? I think that's absolutely foolish.
  2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where is the rueage emoticon?
  3. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

289 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Well lets see......they are both in their second year......JJ Watt is freaking outright amazing and Tyron Smith hasn't lived up to the hype at LT so far. I guess I should start expecting these things to happen to my beloved Dallas Cowboys as long as Jerry Jones is King.
  4. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,092 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    The only concern with Smith is whether he can gain, and then maintain weight.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,412 Messages
    6,447 Likes Received
    I didn't want Watt in the top 10 of the draft. I didn't think he'd be an impact player. Of course he's proven that wrong.

That being said, I still take Tyron in a do over.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Watt is a beast, but in time so will Tyron. I still have no issue with the pick.
  7. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Take this from the biggest Wisconsin Badger fan in the world......

We made the RIGHT call in selecting Smith. But...our hands were tied,...we had to, our o line is and was THAT BAD.

But I tell you this....Watt is going to be an absolute beast in this league for a very long time. I also believe he will go on to have a better career than Tyron. Right now, as of today,...if the Texans and Cowboys played a game and Watt lined up against Tyron I think we all know what would happen. Watt would abuse Smith. And Badly.

Heres the thing with Watt....he can play ALL four of the positions in a 4 man line, he can also play both end positions in a 3 man line. And you know what? He can DOMINATE at all six positions equally as well. VERY RARE BIRD. And a motor that never stops.

So yes,....we made the right call at the time,...but inn the big scheme of things I believe Watt goes on to have a much more storied career and makes a far bigger impact on the NFL.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,035 Messages
    3,274 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  9. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    25 Likes Received

Dude, trust me,...your so far off it isnt even close.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,894 Messages
    3,957 Likes Received
    What is your reasoning when even with Tyron the oline is still bad? Did you watch last night's game? That was one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen in the NFL. He flat out destroyed the Jets oline and Sanchez's confidence.
  11. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,343 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    I wanted Watt. I didn't care that it was top ten. The defense needed him badly going into that draft. You could not have gone wrong with either Watt or Smith because Dallas has done such a bad job along the lines.

No rueage about drafting Smith, he was a great prospect as well and is currently about the only good player on that line right now, but Watt brings the type of attitude that the Dallas defense had lacked for a very, very long time. Dallas defense with an attitude again. Man was that appealing.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    anyone trying to claim Smith is a bust or anything like it at this time is really frankly STUPID.

He is learning a new position; and guess what gomers- its a lot tougher to learn a position on the O line vs D line.
  13. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ***** people you do realize the defense hasn't been the main issue so far right? They've only truly allowed a combined 64 points which is only an average of about 16 points. The offense is the issue. With all that so called talent we can't score at all right now. Only 18 points last game and 23 combined points the previous two ball games.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    we have a lot of physical talent on O.

Mental talent......
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. Terrific quarterback, running back, and good, but mentally incompetent receivers followed with a group of talentless bums on the offense line outside of obviously Tyron.
  16. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

589 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    You can easily indict every NFL team on missed draft opportunities and picks who never came close to realizing their perceived potential.

Life is often shorter and less predictable than we all want; so are NFL careers.

If we are looking for something rock-solid on which to stake our faith, might I suggest God, death, and taxes?
  17. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I blame Jerry (The GM not the owner). I am sure he was the only person in the draft war room who wanted Smith while everybody else wanted Watt.
  18. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Smith and Watt were both needs and we couldn't do Amy wrong either way. Smith played great last year and at only 21 he will be a great LT. I wish we could have gotten them both but no way possible. If we would have taken Watt, then who would have played OT. Our OL is bad enough, without smith then we are even worse.
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,132 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    Anyone who witnessed Romo get battered, bruised, beaten and broken to the point where he couldn't finish the season knows that Tyron Smith was the right choice.

If Romo is your franchise quarterback and protecting your franchise quarterback is of utmost importance, there's NO WAY you can take any other player save the best offensive lineman available in the draft. And that player was Tyron Smith.

Given all the information we had, it was the right choice PERIOD!
  20. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    What this team really needs...is an OL without Smith.

The lack of sanity in that thinking is just this side of sad.