1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rex Ryan: Rob wanted to draft JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Oct 8, 2012.

1. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,045 Messages
    940 Likes Received
    Why are we so certain that Watt wouldn't succumb to the underachieving culture that is the Dallas Cowboys franchise? :confused:
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,934 Messages
    9,016 Likes Received
    I'd choose the elite LT. Watt isn't making the Texans front seven legit all by himself. It's not fair to expect Tyron to fix our entire OL. He's a young pup getting his first taste at LT. I think in two years time he'll be the prototype LT teams look for in this pass happy league. At 23 years old. If it turns out I'm wrong I'll admit it but I just wouldn't trade in that kind of ceiling at such a critical position right now.

If Watt was a 21 year old LT he wouldn't be having this kind of impact so early in his career.
  3. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,119 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    These responses are amazing :laugh2:
  4. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    LOL........a year ago, I would have agreed with you. However, Smith is regressing in his 2nd year. At this point, it is no contest. Watts is at the point where he is the best DE in the league. The guy is a complete animal. He will probably get defensive player of the year in his 2nd year. Another monster draft blunder.
  5. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Wat? Smith is learning an ENTIRE new position his SECOND year. Would you rather have a dominate d-line with a backup QB or a good OL/DL and starting QB?
  6. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Same reason Ware hasn't, if you believe Watt is truly elite. Elite players rise above the dysfunctionality of the Cowboys.
  7. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Watt is going to be one of those rare special players. I like that Ryan saw it in him. Shows he knows something about defensive talent.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,045 Messages
    940 Likes Received
    Truth be told, if Ware was on the Ravens, I think he would be inducted in the Hall of Fame before he retired from the NFL.

I think Ware is a great player, but I think he too has been affected by the Dallas Cowboys culture. That he is doing as well as he is is a testament to Ware and his abilities.

Nevertheless, good point. :)
  9. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,907 Messages
    148 Likes Received
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    I'm sure RR wanted Watt, he'd be great here no doubt. However think about this O Line without Tyron Smith. If you think it is bad now you aint seen nothin yet. I have every confidence he becomes a perenial Pro bowler.
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,223 Messages
    115 Likes Received
  12. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    Okay, so you are saying we shouldn't have addressed our offensive line in the 1st round last year? Though, if we do it in the second round, we don't get a much needed younger MLB in Bruce Carter. Alright, then let's address it in the 3rd round. But that means no Demarco Murray. Alright then will do what we always do and address it in the fourth round where all of our other Offensive Lineman come from. Yeah, great idea...
  13. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,268 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith was a good pick, I've got nothing against it because we needed help on the OLine. BUT, using a crystal ball on potential, even if Smith becomes All-Pro someday, I'll still take Watt if he continues at this pace.

A DPOY-caliber impact maker > a great left tackle IMO. You can still have a build a good OLine with a good, not great LT...like what we had with Flozell for years. But having a dominant player like Watt on defense completely changes the game. Of course this is hindsight and hypotheticals but why not...
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    and meanwhile the O line is even worse and Romo might be on IR by now.

Brilliant logic.
  15. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,268 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    And what's to say we don't draft a left tackle in the 2nd round? Again, we're going by hypotheticals, we don't know the draft strategy that they would've had.

Maybe we don't get Bruce Carter if we go defense with that 1st pick and take the best LT/RT available who can still start from day 1. Maybe the 2 great ILB look is overrated when you have impact-makers on the DLine. The Texans dumped off Demeco Ryans for Bradie James and now he's starting and not a liability like he was here *Shrugs*
  16. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,061 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    The exception that proves the rule, thanks.
  17. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,167 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Wish in one hand.....
    You know the rest. We got Tyron. It was a good pick.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    From the Landry hat today. This is through the first four games. If you think the running game is non existant take the only guy creating a lane out of the line up and see what you have.
  19. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,242 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Watt is a monster. Probably the only guy id trade d ware for!
  20. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

274 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    It's not just learning the position, the quality of the pass rushers on that side is much better. Just give him time guys jeez!