1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rex Ryan: Rob wanted to draft JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

294 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    This ^^^ exactly! I agree the culture needs a change!
  2. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

294 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    LOL....Look at TNew having a decent season for the Bengals too. Also Marty B in NY. Go figure!
  3. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,726 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    ...a passing league.

Picking Tyron Smith was a big boost to our QB. We can't forget that. JJ Watt would not have helped us in the situation we were in a couple of years ago.

Not knowing the potential of Watt or Smith I'm certain this board would have gone up in flames had we picked a defensive player that year.
  4. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess Wade Phillips knows what he wants...
  5. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,140 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    There were plenty of posters that were laughing at the Watt pick and saying Wade was stupid for wanting him.
  6. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Those posters are crying now. HA.
  7. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    The last 7 or 8 games Watt has played has been one of the great stretches of football I've ever seen. It rivals what Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White were doing 25 years ago.

But, as someone noted above, he wouldn't be the first Texans player busted for steroids. I hope that isn't the case. The guy is a joy to watch if he isn't dismantling your team.
  8. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    That too. He's went up again JPP/Irvin/Wright/Bryant/Clayborn/McCoy/Bennett/Peppers
  9. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wade's been under-valued by this board... Too bad the whole Garrett family was here during his ride... Would have liked to see what he could have actually done, without any real interference. Too bad he has a soft personality when it comes to dealing with all the organizational hogwash...

Let's not forget that Sean Lee was picked during his last year here...
  10. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips is a top echelon defensive mind and talent evaluator. Anyone that says different does not know much about the NFL or the fact that good defense has followed the guy around for 25 years as a coordinator/ coach.

He was set up to fail as a head coach here. You can't have head coach in waiting at the NFL level unless it is a father son type of relationship. That said, Wade did a poor job his last year here.

Nobody thought Watt would be as great as he is or he would be the #1 pick. He is the best defensive player in the NFL in his second year. If you put him in defense beside Demarcus Ware there would be laws against that. I'm glad we have Smith, but Watt is a hall of fame player in his second year.
    Jason Garrett is a very smart, very organized guy who is not a very good offensive coordinator. Now that his duties are split further, he is a worse coordinator. He would be a fine head coach if he gave the play calling duties to someone else.

We are running a Norv Turner / Earnie Zampese based system when out talent fits better with something from the Shanahan- Alex Gibbs family. I do expect our offense to look better when we stop trying to futily run the ball into the Bears, Bucs and Seattle's fronts. I'm also very excited for what our front can be with Ratliff's disruptive presence.
  11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,481 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Bradie was NEVER a liability here. Fans just needed a scapegoat for why we were bad and always looked to Bradie because he wasn't Patrick Willis. Everyone knew Bradie was a solid player here.
  12. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,481 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Garrett is a young head coach. He's taking his bumps and bruises right now. We knew that when he came here. The list is a very short one of young coaches who a few years after becoming a offensive coordinator was a great head coach off the back.
  13. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Humility is a hard trait to learn. Even Belichick got fired at his first stop.
  14. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Bradie was a liability against the pass here. It is masked a bit in Houston because on their inside rush and active safeties. Somebody will expose him in the Houston defense too, but it was never going to be the Jets or anyone in that ghastly division.
  15. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    Watt is a beast, no doubt, but who the hell would be at RT or LT this year? Assuming Free stayed at LT, our line would be much worse off than it is now.
  16. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I could not agree more with this post!
  17. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    This is pretty impressive for a guy that size.

[youtube]P0gsgyY_QW0?vq=hd720[/youtube]
  18. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,327 Messages
    828 Likes Received
    Romo's O-line is not that great. Even with Smith. Romo can make magic happen with a bad o-line at times.

With that said, Ware is the guy who needed the most help. JJ Watt, Ware, Ratliff, Hatcher, and Spencer?

That's Dangerous....

This D would be so much better....instead 1 guy gets hurt and its a 1 man show(Ware)
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    I thought this was the most talent Robby ever had? Which is it? I thought his magical scheme was supposed to generate a 50 turnovers and 100 sacks?
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,337 Messages
    957 Likes Received

Just imagine us scoring only 3 points again because Romo is sacked twice as much because an already lousy O-Line is even worse because we did nothing to address it.

Geez people.