1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rex Ryan: Rob wanted to draft JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,900 Messages
    7,326 Likes Received
    I am surprised we haven't seen more exotic looks.

It's like Dallas is where creativity comes to die.
  2. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Of course he wanted to pick Watt, he's a defensive coordinator, he'd go defense every round if he could. But at the end of the day, Smith had a phenomenal rookie campaign and it just wasn't exposed as much because of the nature of the position.
  3. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I think Tyron Smith will be very good for many seasons to come, but this is a case where I think JJ Watt is just a special not seen often player. Three down, 3-4 ends arent suppose to be getting this many sacks coupled along with his ability to tip balls is amazing. Watt seems to cause a lot of INTs with his deflections and even have opportunities to catch INTs himself... We shall see if Watt can keep it up, but you could argue he is already the best at his position.
  4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,589 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Who cares? We need(ed) o-line help, Smith was unanimously the best prospect on the board at that position, he was a safe pick that could anchor the tackle position for a decade.

Had we not taken Smith imagine how terrible we'd be up front. Our running game is literally a joke, it's not even mediocre, if you spliced all our runs consecutively in a low-light film - you'd have to send the kids out the room and then you'd cut it off because it's embarrassing.

So how exactly would have selecting Watt helped our offense?

The 'we should've drafted' threads are ridiculous, it's a crap shoot, even the best teams hit and miss.

Sure I'd like to have Watt, he's a monster, but taking Smith in the first round was safe and practical given our situation up front at the time.

No sense in *****ing about it now.

So, here's a random picture of Quincy Carter.

[IMG]
  5. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I see your Quincy pic and raise you...

[IMG]
  6. Apollo Creed

8,589 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Lol. Not bad.

I'll see your Felix-Quincy face crop and raise you a serious Garrett face. Man, he means business.

[IMG]
  7. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    It's terrible actually, but it was a 2 minute hack-job.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,618 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Well I don't see the regret of not drafting Watt at all. This team has good history with finding guys who can play the 3-4 DE position later in the draft and its something we can leverage to improve other positions.

Watt is a great young player, and I more than most on this board it seems, care about the impact a player like him would make on our defense. But LT is a premium position (sorry, its not the same as the other OL positions), and having a chance at someone with the talent of Tyron is something we just couldn't pass up.....no way I would've been happy at that time about taking Watt over Tyron.

Now I will say this though, Tyron has to improve or this will make us look like idiots. Watt has become one of the faces of his franchise, and Tyron has been mediocre.....hopefully articles like this will be motivation for Tyron.
  9. Apollo Creed

8,589 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Speaking of 2 minute hack jobs, here's a Troy Hambrick mugshot.

[IMG]
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,780 Messages
    3,443 Likes Received
    Ryan has had two DTs drop into coverage in a blitz package. Just how exotic do you want?
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,988 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    The only Cowboys player in history that I absolutely HATED when he was a Dallas Cowboy.
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,044 Messages
    687 Likes Received
    I really feel like Garret told him to calm all that **** down. Which is sad.
  13. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,044 Messages
    687 Likes Received
    I don't know if you are saying that i said this. Just for the record i never did.

What I do believe is that we are supposed to have more exotic scheme.....it's what Rob is known for. Instead we come out looking weak, show an exotic look once, maybe maybe twice a game.
  14. Deep_Freeze

6,618 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Well its easier to be exotic with more of a pass rush and more support on the backend.

With only Ware out there rushing the passer, and our pathetic safeties, I don't feel comfortable with anything exotic at the moment.
  15. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,854 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    This seems as ridiculous as someone complaining we didn't draft Tom Brady. We needed T we got T.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,090 Messages
    766 Likes Received

By that logic, why think Smith will be a good LT?

Underachieving culture, and all...
  17. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,234 Messages
    4,354 Likes Received
    nobody is claiming smith is a bust. i was one of the few on here this offseason trying to calm people's expectations about t. smith's transition to the left side.

you're thinking from the 2012 perspective. you have to look at it from 2011 when we lost bowen and had igor starting.

bradie was never a liabiity? rofl you can't be serious. he was a JAG his last few seasons. you don't remember the philly game last season?
  18. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,234 Messages
    4,354 Likes Received
    that would have been amazing to see watt in between ratliff and ware. you don't think his emotion/high motor wouldn't rub off on the rest of the players? he is a special type of player that makes his entire unit better.

the problem with the cowboys is we rarely get to make addition to a strength on this team because we are constantly having to use picks for needs to make up for mistakes in previous drafts or free agency.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,234 Messages
    4,354 Likes Received
    just curious when are we allowed to discuss previous dallas cowboys drafts good and bad? if you say something immediately following the draft then you are jumping the gun and not giving the draftees a chance. if you wait a couple of years and bring it up then you're considered a negative poster that is wasting your time. rock meet hard place. bad drafting is the main downfall of this franchise, i think it's an appropriate topic to discuss.
  20. Deep_Freeze

6,618 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Unfortunately most can't see past right now.

Back then, 3-4 DE was a need also, as it still is. Problem is its not a premium position like LT is and its easier to fill.....it is interesting that we signed Kenyon to fill in at 3-4 DE, and the only wonder would be is if we had drafted Watt and signed a FA RT, would we be any better off.

With Free being a disaster at LT, not sure that we would be better although alot depends on what we would've gotten in free agency to fill in at the tackle spot (maybe that tackle could've played on the left side).

Its alot more complicated than just Watt vs Tyron.