1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RG3 wins Rookie of the year

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by 5Stars, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    A rookie making some poor decisions...whodathunk that?!

To what extent will any adjustments for ANY player? Griffin is a smart, accurate passer. If they run him less, probably the better for his development.

Michael Vick has not found an answer to this question and may possibly be permanently out of work.[/quote]

Please tell me you're not comparing him to Vick...

And your overstating his imminent demise.
  2. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I'll be honest, I am not really seeing the poor decisions he made with his body either until the Seattle game.

It wasn't like he was trying to run over Ngata in the Baltimore game, when he slid his knee ended up whipping up and being exposed. If anything we need to get him a slip and slide ;)

And think of this, he only threw 5 INT's all year. Romo had 3 in one game vs us :bow:
  3. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,648 Messages
    200 Likes Received

1) You are correct about the half a brain comment so you need to look at some of these posts.

2) Your lack of education with reference to this line does not matter, no worries, Emmitt probably does not know what that means either, you are in good company!

3) Griffin apparently has injured the same knee in the past and currently has a significant knee injury yet again. RG3's specific style of play lends itself for him to take such hits and as others have noted, he is not a big and sturdy guy. Further, RG3 was defiant after taking a stupid blow to his head earlier this season, not looking good.

4) Griffin is a good passer, but much of that is predicated on the threat of the QB run. How will this change if he primarily becomes a pocket passer under pressure.

5) Wilson and Colin will probably run into some of the same issues eventually but they apparently make better decisions with reference to defenders, Wilson is also a rookie, go figure.
  4. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    People like to tab RG3 as some maniac, scrambling runner. Your post here is timely because people need to be reminded that.... A.) football does indeed have 100% injury no matter who you are, and B.) major injuries have occurred to pocket passers who weren't agile enough to avoid impact inside the pocket

Major injuries to pocket passers occur when lions hunt sitting prey. With RG3, he's the fleet footed prey who sometimes runs into the lion's den. It's much easier to correct the mindset of latter than adjust the skillset and agility of the former.
  5. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,648 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    Please tell me you're not comparing him to Vick...

And your overstating his imminent demise.[/quote]

1) Griffin is an accurate passer with the threat of option run, was less accurate when pressured in the pocket. Wilson is a rookie and made better decisions, Colin has limited experience as well, go figure.

2) I am simply offering a corrective to overstatement, he may be fine if he adjusts but the small sample thus far has left him a gimp.

3) Only comparing the aspect that the running QB is prone to injury, you really can not debate this as RG3 is in rehab as we speak!
  6. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    What is incredible to me is Aikman played a good chunk of his career behind one of the best OL's ever put together and was a pocket passer yet only played 11 seasons. He was done with football at age 33.

That would have been like Manning retiring in 2009 or Brady in 2011
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    The Cowboys drafted Morris Claiborne with the 6th overall pick. They've got that invested in him. He didn't come free.

The Redskins reached for Griffin with the 2nd overall pick. He didn't come free. You used that pick plus two more 1st rounders and a 2nd round pick. That's what you have invested in your athlete playing QB.

3 firsts and a second.

Thanks for playing.
  8. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Exactly, Brady and Manning proved that pocket passers are not exempt from season ending injuries. Aikman proved that being a pocket passer doesn't protect you from a career cut short with multiple head injuries.

All in all, RG3 has to make better use of his legs and understand the rules designated for protecting QBs outside the pocket. He needs to learn them and use them when he finds himself running designed sprints out the Pistol, or improvising on a broken play. Once he incorporates these tactics, he will better protect himself and give aid to a long lasting career. The Ngata leg whip was indeed a freak injury....but RG3 got a little greedy and decided to turn back toward center field instead of getting the first down and running out of bounds. Or, slide sooner.....again, being aware of your surroundings and using the rules to protect your body.
  9. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    What's the mystery with Aikman? He had head and back issues.
  10. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Pocket passer behind one of the best o-lines ever assembled.

Only played 11 seasons. Probably should have played another 4-5 at least
  11. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    That can happen to anyone. A 1st year player can develop head and/or back issues. I'm not getting the point here.
  12. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    You are on the right track

A pocket passer behind a great o-line had his career shortened.

Just because the guy runs doesn't mean his career is going to be more or less compared to the "protype" pocket passer

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport..._like_colin_kaepernick_more_injury_prone.html

Link for rest

And because I love graphs

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I am plenty educated enough to know "situatedness" isn't a word. Plus, I write and edit for a living.

Another tired argument. He's the same size as Romo, Rodgers, Matt Ryan (albeit a little shorter), but weighs the same... He's bigger than Brees and Wilson. He measured almost 6'3" and 220+ at the combine. What's next, are you going to compare him to Mike Vick again?

No -- it's predicated on a strong arm, a quick release, smart passing decisions, accuracy and a fantastic play action. And being under pressure he is even better. He was so good against the blitz, Rex Ryan had to totally revamp his scheme. You know why Morris was able to run for 200? Because Ryan wasn't going to let Griffin beat him again.

Wilson was throwing lead blocks! How many blocks did Griffin throw?
  14. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    I'm not on any track and I'm not interested in any spin job. I'm telling you Aikman had head and back issues that really have nothing to do with the quality of his protection. That can happen to anyone. You might not even make the NFL because of it. Regardless of how good your OL was.

Being a pocket passer would most certainly put him less in harm's way. But it doesn't guarantee him a lengthy career. All it takes is one shot to develop head issues. You can be born with that chronic back issue. I'm not getting any semblance of a relevant point here.
  15. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    And today's lesson is done
  16. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    Good. Now grab your books and get to the next class.

You dropped your pig snout.
  17. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,648 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    1) Then your education is as limited as your perspective.

2) The Vick comparison is contextually accurate in terms of running QB in relationship to injury, RG3 is currently a gimp (as evidence). There is nothing to argue, RG3 was injured several times this season with his style of play.

3) Rex Ryan's team was horrible! RG3 had the benefit of a good running back, it is simply dumb to argue otherwise. Clearly the threat of option and run froze defenders and assisted the passing game.

After the injury, limited to the pocket, pressure clearly made a difference.:p:
  18. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,648 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    :lmao2:Love it!