1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RGIII - 70%+ Completion Percentage

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by perrykemp, Oct 15, 2012.

1. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    RGIII leads the NFL in completion percentage. I can't say I saw that coming.

That kind of accuracy is unheard of for a rookie.

Add his wheels to that, as evidenced by his 76 yard run yesterday, and you are looking at a very scary player looking forward into the NFC East future for the Cowboys.

I had hoped he would be a Vick type... he is clearly something much much more.
  2. Houstonboys13

Houstonboys13 Member

249 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm not trying to be a Cowboys homer, but I think there is a good reason for that high percentage. Although he has been impressive as a rookie, when I’ve seen him play, a vast majority of his passes are little dinks and dunks that the receivers catch and run for a lot of yards after the catch. I never understand why the opposing teams don't bring up their safeties to stop these short passes. I do think the Redskins (from an offense perspective) have been well coached as the receivers and running backs don't seem to make many mental errors, but I don't think RGIII has been as impressive as Luck. He may be a force for the Redskins for years to come, but I think his stats have been somewhat inflated due to the way they run their offense.
  3. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Defenses will rather deal with his legs and the short passing game than have him going deep on them, like he was in the first 3 games consistently.
  4. EGTuna

EGTuna Active Member

380 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Alas, this kid is the real deal. He's only going to get better. He far exceeds Vick and Newton in the brains and preparation department. He doesn't throw a lot of 20+ yards down the field, but throws crosses, slants, and curls very well that are 5-20 yards downfield. He's for real. Sigh.
  5. jscupa

jscupa New Member

15 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RG3 is like top 3 in the NFL in yards per completion. To say he is dinking and dunking shows you're talking out of your ***
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    It's more dink and dunk...then when they do what you say...bombs away.

He has a bunch of long completions as a result, though the vast majority of his throws are short. It's a good game plan for the personnel that they have. His net average is very good, btw.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    The guy is a talented kid and it should be expected that he could have good numbers his first season. The NFL defenses are getting their first look at him. It's the whole Cameron Newton situation again.

Once defenses got a look at Cam Newton, his numbers started falling off. Same will happen with RGIII, though I'm not sure RGIII will stand up to the beating he is taking. He is averaging right at 10 rushes per game. He isn't a running back and his body isn't accustomed to the beating a running back takes.

As goes the life of a running QB.
  8. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    You don't think there is enough film after 5 games on how to stop the read option?

What makes him dangerous is his ridiculous accuracy, so even if you keep him in the pocket he can kill you, and Alfred Morris. The Vikings were keying in on Morris which made the skinny posts easy. Right now Redskins WRs are wide open
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    Really simple for those that know football. you dink and dunk to backs and WRs and usually they will get more after catch. So you can pass 5 yds and they can get 5-10 more.
  10. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I remember Skip saying RGIII>>Luck

This year he may be right.
  11. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    RG3 is 13th in "air yards" for QBs right now.

And YACs aren't a bad thing at all. Thats how Bill Walsh was successful
  12. Houstonboys13

Houstonboys13 Member

249 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    How many games have you seen him play. Like I said in my post, they are well coached team on offense and the scheme seems to be working great. However, the vast majority of his passes are short passes were the receivers/running backs gain yards after the catch. It's worked great and teams haven't stopped them. We'll see how the rest of the year/future goes, but I'm not in Aw of him just yet.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Cam Newton started to falter towards the end of last season. He has not recovered this season.

That said, I think RGIII is a better QB than Cam Newton, but then again I don't believe is running QBs. They work for the short term, just not the long term.
  14. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I am curious which RBs/WRs are gaining big yards after the catch on screen passes.

Besides the Garcon play in week 1 (a pass with 18 air yards before Garcon caught it) there haven't been HUGE YACs from behind the LOS.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    You tried saying he was going deep a few weeks back and after watching the game you were referring to, he threw like 4 passes the entire game over 20 yards.

I'm not sure if you're trying to validate him or put up some sort of defense for him but the Skins have not been going deep.

The Skins are 6th in YAC and RG3 is 15th in pass plays over 25 yards.

He's good. There's no reason to fabricate how he's getting the job done, he's getting it done.
  16. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'm not sure if this site is updated for this week already but the Skins are 6th in the NFL in YAC.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231
  17. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I honestly don't know why the discussion is focusing on his pass distance or how many yards come after the catch or whatever.

It seems like a weird angle to work.

He's getting the job done. End of story.

He looks great.

Hes passing the ball very effectively and he's running the ball very well.

They've scored 10 less points than the Patriots and they have more rushing TDs at this point than Dallas will likely have all year.

Short passes, long passes, who cares?

Maybe Garrett could learn a thing or two from Shanny.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,529 Messages
    9,691 Likes Received
    Exactly right.

Close thread.
  19. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Imagine what Romo would do in a Shanny-Kubiak type of offense...

BTW, everybody in DC was pointing out how horrible their offensive line was last year and for the last few years, as much the complaints about the Cowboys OL. Coaching makes a huge difference...
  20. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Madden '14 RGIII may be better than Tecmo Bo Jackson.