1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rift Planes of Telara Beta

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Duane, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Anyone else playing the beta?

I got in this past weekend and have really enjoyed my time in game so far. Everything is very polished so far and there are a ton of character class combinations. I also think the public rifts are a lot of fun.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
  3. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Reading the P&P game description I'm going to say that it isn't related.
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Not at all related to the PnP game. Though that would be something to see in an MMO!

I played the online Rifts the last two Beta runs. Seems very polished. There are some things I don't care for (respawn rate, coupled with mob density), but overall it seems pretty good. I hear it is an iteration of the WoW/Warhammer/LotRo/AoC style of game, but it seems to do it fairly well. Like the backstory; there were some clever bits in there, and also like that the opposing sides aren't GOOD!/EVIL!.

Supposed to really shine up past level 20. Don't know 'bout that though.
  5. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I was invited early to the beta. My girl and I have only had time to play the last 4 Betas, but we absolutely LOVE the game so far and have already pre-ordered the CE of Rift.

The next beta will be even better w/ the extended amount of time we get to play. A week compared to a couple of days is a lot.

Fantastic game if anyone is interested. It will be THE MMO this year, from what I can see.

I reserve the right to take this back once/IF Diablo III every launches, but for NOW this is the game for us.

I PvP'd most of the weekend and I love the classes and the abilities available. I did a lot of open world PVP and that was a blast as well.

Just something about fighting a real human toon than a scripted toon.

Excellent game folks. If you have the opportunity, try and get a beta key prior to Feb 15th.

28th Level Marksman/Ranger/Bard atm but will switch to Marksman/Ranger/Sin next beta.
  6. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I knew you'd be in on this one.

One of the best parts IMO is that they won't balance classes for PVP and PVE. So if something is overpowered in PVP they won't totally change the class mechanics so it kills PVE.

Did you order the CE box or online from Trion?
  7. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I gave up hoping a game would dethrone WoW after Age of Conan and Warhammer both fell within months
  8. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I just ordered the Digital download direct from Trion. I didn't know that about PvP/PvE as far as changes. That is FANTASTIC news.

We are SO excited about this game. We should really try and play on the same server. We aren't particular as long as they are PvP servers. :)

Keep me posted of your plans for the game.

We enjoy playing w/ real friends in these games. Glad to see you are part of this launch and are enjoying yourself. We sure are.
  9. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    That's what I heard from several people this weekend. So I'm going to assume it's true.
  10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I been following the game I currently play COH but there latest decision in the game has me looking and it looks appealing.

I have other MMO experiences I am an old school Ultima Online and DAOC and a few others games
  11. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    The word-of-mouth coverage of Rift has been strong for months even before the first public beta testing began. The graphics in the game are impressive and the game UI seems to be somewhat of a hybrid version between WoW and LoTRO. The people behind it came from other well known MMOs and are definitely winning over the beta player base.

Most of the game does not reinvent the wheel which can be both a good or bad thing depending on what you are after but they did come up with a really unique concept for the class system. You choose/acquire souls of various classes that will allow you to mix and match your character build the way you want it. That means you are not herded into a linear path of progression like most other MMOs out there including WoW. The number of class combinations with a full set of souls equipped should dwarf (pun intended) any other MMO on the market.

As for Game of the Year potential, it definitely has a chance, but I still think Star Wars The Old Republic or even Guild Wars 2 has a chance as well assuming the latter makes it out before the end of 2011.

I got a couple of VIP keys for friends of mine who are avid MMO players and they love Rift and have already pre-ordered it. Most comments I have heard or seen from Rift beta testers are extremely positive. I think the next beta test starts February 15th.

-Reality
  12. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    I loved UO back in the day. I wish more MMO games would use skill based systems like UO had.

-Reality
  13. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,708 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Interesting.

One of the best things about EQ1 was that the game was entirely balanced around PVE, with no thought of PVP balance. This sounds bad in theory, but it worked out amazingly.

Some of the worst pvp classes were the most essential for pve, which made good players of those classes really stand out and in need. Players of popular pvp classes were a dime a dozen. it created a really unique system.

I haven't read much about rift. WoW set a trend in MMO's that I have no desire to be a part of. Everything is just handed to players anymore. You can play 40 hours a week getting the best gear and the day an expansion comes out you can upgrade your gear off of trash npc's.

In EQ you could hold onto an item you got at level 9 until you were level 50 because it was the best you could get. And you didn't upgrade raid gear until the next expansions' raid content, except for a few rare items off group encounters.

Whats the pvp system going to be like in Rift? FFA? is it one side vs another? Alignment pvp is awful. I don't want to kill someone cause they chose a different alignment, I want to kill them because they just KS'ed the mob I've been camping for 2 hours.

Is it set up for pvp only in arena style? Or is it just PVP anywhere?

Guess I should read up on it.
  14. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Just ordered the digital Collectors Edition and signed up for the 6 month subscription @ $10 a month.

Dallas, I'll let you know about the server. I'm not a huge PVP guy so it'll depend on what the PVP servers are like on if I play on one.
  15. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

We are playing on Sunrest atm. I think it is the PvP-RP server for Rift. There might be a couple more. I don't know why we are playing on an RP server but my girl started before me so I jumped in.

It's also pretty populated. Im sure you know you want to play on a fairly active server. That's the issue when starting these new games is figuring out where you want your home to be. I moved around quit a bit playing WoW.

Think about a PvP server. It sure would be fun playing w/ you. We don't PvP a lot, but we like the excitement it brings to the regular PvE game aspect. I don't think Trion is going crazy for PvP. I think they will include the large aspects of it but it won't be like WoW w/ the Arena leagues n such. From what I read they are focused on content moreso than complete solid PvP. I don't mind that at all. One can only PvP for so long before it gets REALLY OLD. The rewards are nice however so I will be doing that during the down times of raids and group functions.

I used to lead the #2 Horde guild on Lightninghoof. I kind of miss being a GuildLeader. I was approached many times in AION and Warhammer/DAOC etc. to begin something again but it is sooo much work, but you make so many life friends doing it, I might just change my mind. I really miss having a close guild to play these games with. That's a lot of my excitement I get from MMO's is the friendships and fun things you get to do as a team.

It would be cool if we could all play together. Get a little CBZ crew rolling out to slay some Rifts weekly would be KEEN. ;)
  16. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Good morning (morning here in AK)

For anyone wanting to try out Rift who hasn't, the Rift Open Beta event begins on Feb 15h. To get invited, all you have to do is create an account and complete the beta profile to get your key for the 1 week Rift Open Beta event. This will be the 7th beta for Rift btw and the game and playing experience is already production launch ready, so there won't be any problems w/ your game.

If you play the game during beta...come over to Sunrest and whisper "Bayne" <--- thats me. We can help you out and get you started.

Here is the link to the betasignup at Trion

http://www.RIFTgame.com/betasignup

Hope you MMO fans check out this game. It's going to be EPIC. :D

See you there
  17. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I should join just to kill you. Be the [strike]Banyne[/strike] bane of your existence! ;)
  18. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

You should come out and check it out. The D/L is only about 8gig. It doesn't take much time at all to get setup and started.

Find some time and come out play. It could be like old times in MajorMUDD over at Argus.

:D

Im playing on the Guardian side
  19. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I'm guessing Sunrest is the server and Guardian is the faction?
  20. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,152 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    I need an interpreter. :laugh2: