1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Right tackle rotation will continue

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,422 Messages
    4,374 Likes Received
    Dec 13

3:52

PM CT

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Normally a swing tackle spot is reserved for a veteran player, not a young one such as Parnell, who was a basketball player in college before deciding to play football in his senior season at Mississippi.

"You're not real comfortable, I wasn't coming in," offensive line coach Bill Callahan said. "Where's this fella at? He's our third tackle? He's got to come in and step up right away. He's given everyone the confidence that he can step up and play and take a starters role and be at both spots and provide great competition. As he grows through the years, I think it's going to be great for him."

Given Callahan's comments and the actions of the Cowboys last week, you have to think Free's future with the Cowboys is in doubt. But Callahan praised how Free has handled splitting time at tackle. For the second consecutive week, Free and Parnell shared snaps with the first team in practice.

"No one loves Doug Free more than I do," Callahan said. "I think he's a consummate pro, I think he comes to work (he's) the first in and last out. He's great for the room, he provides great leadership and example of our room, he studies better than any pro I've ever been around. He's well prepared, well versed, he has the answers before I even finish the sentence, again, it's tough but we're doing the best thing in terms of what we need for our club and for our ball team. Those are tough decisions and I think it helps everybody. It provides a little bit more competition and you get a little bit more heightened awareness at your spot. I think he'll tell ya, we got to get better and we got to get a little bit more production from that side so we're just trying to improve it anyway we can."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4703075/right-tackle-rotation-will-continue
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I think Parnell will have a real chance to start in 2013
  3. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,760 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    If he does this that means the team did not find a right tackle in the draft or FA that is better than him. And that means another year of inconsistent line play. Free gets abused by speed rushers Parnell makes all rushers loo like speed rushers.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,563 Messages
    5,292 Likes Received
    Any specific examples of this? I've thought he's played pretty well, on both sides, when he's been in.
  5. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,532 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    The answer to our O-line problems will not be found in replacing them all. Its unrealistic to expect that can b edone in a single offseason. Most critics will probably grant the hope for improvement by Tyron because he's young. Well, so is Parnell.

Maybe we can get a couple new & improved pieces. But we're also going to need a couple of the holdovers to improve. Frankly, I expect Smith, Parnell, Livings, Bernadeau, Costa, Cook and Kowalski to all be in the mix next year along with a couple new faces. Perhaps Free as well but I think his contract plays into his potential to return.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,753 Messages
    2,512 Likes Received
    Callahan said all the right things in that piece.
  7. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,401 Messages
    411 Likes Received

Key words right there, nothing about Free playing hurt....
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,411 Messages
    3,703 Likes Received
    Oh for the next 3 games? I was really wanting this to be an offseason article.
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    I'm ok with Parnell as long as they fix at least two of the other spots.

They need to fix a minimum of two of the starting spots.

C and a G or possibly both Guards. Maybe center and tackle.

Don't care how they go about it as long as they fix at least 2 of the positions. I would love to see them fix 3 of them but I'd be pretty happy with serious upgrades at two of them.
  10. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,760 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    He was passable for a fill in but every time I saw passing down he was beaten. Free has bad footwork Parnell takes to a long to get out of his stance. I expect free to manhandled by bull rushes but Parnell is just as bad but he looks the part except the roller skates.
  11. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,688 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Between this and the "No one loves football more than him" cliches players and writers have been throwing out lately, the significance and credibility of those phrases has declined.

Not to mention, you can view that as no one else is fond of Doug Free "except" Callahan and rightly so given his rapid decline and the risks to Romo's survivability with Free protecting him.

Ever notice how every player is the first in and last out when team personnel are interviewed?

If he studies harder than any other player and is well prepared, then that confirms Doug Free is just not a good player.

/reality
  12. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,422 Messages
    4,374 Likes Received
    One thing to note is that it was Free who closed out the Bengals game. So while there was a rotation, it ended at the critical moment in the game. The trust factor means, Free will have the edge in certain moments.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,726 Messages
    3,413 Likes Received
    I haven't looked at the all 22 for that game but my impression was they stopped the experiment for good reason.
  14. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

897 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
  15. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,718 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    ...gave us coach speak for "we are in trouble and willing to do anything".

It doesn't bode well for Free in terms of the coach's trust in him as a quality starter right now.
  16. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Need to rotate Free to lockerroom.:laugh2:
  17. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,726 Messages
    3,413 Likes Received
    The fact that Free is marginal and Parnell is submarginal should frighten more people.
  18. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,835 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    Exactly what I was thinking.