1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RIP Carmen Basilio

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,197 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,012 Messages
    1,873 Likes Received
    RiP Carmine Basilio.

Pretty good Boxer in both Welter and Middleweight Divisions. Not great, more of a journeyman but he fought all comers and he fought them all tough.
  3. Yakuza Rich

12,197 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    He's in the boxing Hall of Fame. Won the world title and beat Sugar Ray Robinson.

YR
  4. ABQCOWBOY

35,012 Messages
    1,873 Likes Received
    He beat Robinson but Robinson was well passed his prime at 37. Yeah, he's in the Hall of Fame but he had a 56-16-7 record. A good fighter, not a great fighter IMO.

I'm not trying to knock the guy down. I liked his style. Tough little guy always game to fight. That's how I see him.
  5. Yakuza Rich

12,197 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    He only got to Robinson because he didn't want to play the mob's game and couldn't get any real shots even though he had greatly earned it. And his record back then was excellent, given that the fighters would fight so frequently which often made matches anybody's game. I think any boxing expert would view him as a great fighter and worthy of being in the HoF.

YR
  6. ABQCOWBOY

35,012 Messages
    1,873 Likes Received
    OK. I don't view him as one of the greats but I certainly would not have any issue with anybody who would say that they viewed him as such.

As I said earlier, I don't want to take anything away from the guy. I liked him.

I hope he finds peace.
  7. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Basilio was a great fighter with an even greater heart. Perhaps too great. He dealt out a lot of punishment, but took a lot in return, and was usually dripping blood from the scar tissue around his eyes long before a fight ended.

I always liked to watch his fights, and rooted for him every time.

Rest in peace, mighty warrior.
  8. Yakuza Rich

12,197 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Much agreed. One of my favorite fighters to watch. Very intelligent and technically masterful in the ring, but he would just flat out fight guys. I know ABQ isn't trying to be mean or a contrarian, but he's a fighter that is in the HoF and every boxing expert believes he should be there. I just don't see somebody being in the HoF if they were a 'pretty good journeyman.'

On a meaningless side note, my 94 year old grandmother got to dance with him a few times. :)

YR