1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rock Honors on VH1 in one hour

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ROMOSAPIEN9, May 31, 2006.

1. ROMOSAPIEN9

ROMOSAPIEN9 Proud Grandpa

2,250 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At 9pm eastern today May 31 ( about an hour from now) VH1 will be hosting the Rock Honors live.

With live performances from....Kiss, Queen, Judas Priest, Godsmack and a few others.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,982 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received

Was going to post this same thing.
  3. ROMOSAPIEN9

2,250 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great minds eh....
  4. ROMOSAPIEN9

2,250 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    KISS rules and they always will!!

That was beautiful!!
  5. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,736 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    i would have liked to see godsmack...

went out for dinner memorial day to an irish pub and restaurant. there were a lot of people sitting down for a nice dinner around 5pm. They had a juke box so i walked over and put on godsmack, speak the truth.....they must have had the volume cranked up from late sunday night cause when that came on it was frickin loud and half the people jumped in their seat.

the bartender came running over to turn it down and i heard him say "that's not gonna work for dinner time"... was kind of funny, but in all honesty i didnt expect the system to be cranked up full blast, i was a little embarassed when it first came on so loud.
  6. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,554 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    I waited for KISS to come on, ... Paul looked a little chubby. They must be in their 60's.

I wonder why ACE didn't play with KISS, but did play with the guys prior to them.

I wish they would have played some of their earlier stuff, from the first 3 albums.

Oh, and BTW, I was in the KISS Army way back in 1975, .. my wife made me a KISS Army blue jean jacket with KISS Army patches, and KISS great big on the back in rows of metal studs ! :D Awesome !

We saw KISS play in concert twice back then, ... actually saw them at the hotel after the show once WITHOUT their make-up, back when they weren't seen without their makeup.

It was a wild time.

KISS LOVES YOU, ROCK AND ROLL !!
  7. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received
    I think the group with slash, scott, zombie, Tommy and Ace actually sounded better then kiss.

I like kiss but I was never a huge kiss fan.

If you set a best of kiss CD and a best of JP CD in front of me and said which do you want, I would take the JP cd every time.

Was kind of irritated with how rob song some of the songs with JP and although I really like godsmack he just did not have the right voice for some of the songs.

Oh and man alive you can sure tell the difference without freddie Mercury in Queen. Nowhere near as good without him on vocals IMO.
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I too would have rather heard JP than KISS...IMO they are all show. They only have a couple of songs I consider good.
  9. WV Cowboy

10,554 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Lets face it, KISS is a lot about show.

When you are painting your faces, spitting blood and breathing fire, it's about the show.

Their first three albums had a lot of good songs, after that, not so much.

I think their music and JP are alike in some ways, .. about 3 or 4 chords and drums, with a great beat.
  10. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Was Zepplin....or Cream...or Hendrix...there? :)

"Rock Honors"...Kiss, Godsmack, Judas Priest...sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

Uh sorry, yeah, I know...I'm a fossil...

But I'm a fossil who was lucky enough to live through the greatest period in Rock n Roll history. The Beatles..Stones..Who...CCR..Santana...Led Zep...Cream...Hendrix...

Sorry...after that, it was all downhill.

:)
  11. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received

Godsmack was only there to pay tribute by doing some Priest Songs.
    They were not the ones being "Honored"

As far as it not being zep, cream, hendrix, the beatles, stones or any other of those groups.

It still does not take away from the idea that JP, Kiss and Queen deserve honors IMO. Now I am really not sure why Def Leppard was being honored but to each his own I guess.

As far as Fossil. JP has been around longer than some people remember. They came out around or very shortly after Sabbath.
  12. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Queen. Yep...I agree. Great group.

The others, IMO, simply don't stand up to the ones I mentioned.

And it's not because I "grew up" with those groups that I see them as vastly superior.

For instance, I love country music also. The stuff that has been coming out for the past decade blows away stuff I grew up listening to.

Same with guitarists. I loved Hendrix...he was a pioneer...but there are a lot of guitar players who are better today. I would never say Hendrix was a better guitarist that Joe Satriani...or many others around today.

I just don't think there's alot of substance in the materials written and recorded by the groups that were honored.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received

JP and Kiss without a doubt influenced music, whether you like or dislike how they influenced it is a different subject.

They have something many other bands also did not have, longevity. They also produced what many consider multiple Rock Classic songs.

I think they do indeed deserve to be honored for their work. Now Although I really like some of Def Leppards early stuff I don't know if I would consider them in the same boat as the other three.

Not too many groups will ever be deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as the Beatles, Stones, Zep and a very few others. That does not diminish what some of these other bands have done and meant for music.

One must remember that the show was called Rock Honors. Not the definate top 5 of all time rock bands.

Another thing to consider. It was not like the beatles, led zep, cream are still together touring in any fashion.
  14. WV Cowboy

10,554 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Plus, it is not unlikely that the Beatles, LZ, Stones, etc. have already been honored.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received

In other avenues or ways they have many times over.

This I think was the first show for VH1 Rock Honors.

I really think they wanted bands they could honor and at the same time have perform.

I am not sure if this will be a yearly thing or maybe a new show they will do every so often.

Also there were no Trophies or anything of that nature given out that I seen, there was no Hall of Fame they were being inducted to that I seen, I should say no actual physical hall of fame like the RnR hall of fame.

One last thing, and I am not sure this played into it. But on VH1 it was Metal month, or Metal May as they have been calling it.

A lot of shows about metal and hard rock bands and others specials in the genre. This seemed to cap it off somewhat.

Those bands could be considered Metal in some areas and Hard rock in others with Queen being the lightest band (rock wise) of the group.

I found I watched a great deal of VH1 this month since I am an old metal head.
  16. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I assumed you'd enjoy VH1 last month. The history of metal show was pretty cool. I'm not a big metal head but it was fun watching the old clips :D
  17. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received

Yes I liked those documentaries they did.
  18. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    What about Super Group? :D

As soon as I saw Nugent I knew there would be problems.
  19. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

I'm not suggesting that the bands I mentioned should have been honored...I'm only saying that I can't get into a show honoring groups that I find to be inferior. I'm not saying I'd shut them off my radio...but I simply don't think they are worth the acclaim you give them.

Analogy. I also grew up watching Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, etc... I'd find it difficult watching a show honoring Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, and Lennox Lewis.

Ya know?
  20. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received

Since I am a metal head...You probably can figure it out.:laugh1: