1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Roger Goodell address DWI arrests

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,517 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705466/roger-goodell-address-dwi-arrests

In the last two months the Cowboys have dealt with two DWI arrests involving Josh Brent and Jay Ratliff.

Brent was charged with one count of intoxication manslaughter in December after his car crashed in Irving on Dec. 8, resulting in the death of practice squad player Jerry Brown.

Last month, roughly six weeks after Brent's crash, Ratliff was arrested after he crashed his pickup truck into a tractor trailer in Grapevine. Ratliff was charged with driving while intoxicated.

The blood alcohol content of both players was twice the legal limit in Texas.

The Cowboys have plans to meet with MADD after the Super Bowl to discuss potential plans to educate their players on the dangers of drinking and driving. This is an issue that's gotten NFL commissioner Roger Goodell involved.
  2. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,809 Messages
    1,869 Likes Received
    So you CAN fix stupid. Good to know.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,517 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    You can try to do what you can.
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,339 Messages
    957 Likes Received
    If they're not up to speed on the dangers of this stupid behavior by this point in their lives they're not ever going to be.

This isn't about lack of knowledge or simply not realising or knowing it's a simple case of being flat out stupid.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,308 Messages
    2,114 Likes Received
    I say hammer them to the wall. 4 game suspension on conviction. It doubles every subsequent conviction.

I had a policy of 'if I am going out drinking' then I do not bring my car. You can condition yourself mentally that you are going to give up your keys no matter what BEFORE you start drinking to avoid machismo stupidity. I don't drink anymore because it's not fun for me but there is absolutely no excuse for this. None whatsoever.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,308 Messages
    2,114 Likes Received
    You can get through to people via draconian measures. Addiction is one thing but driving after you satisfy your addiction is something completely else.
  7. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

935 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Too many players have this kind of attitude (see video)

[youtube]KUmZp8pR1uc[/youtube]

Goodell said I should go to rehab - I said go, go, go...
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I wouldn't even call it an addiction. At least addicts experience withdrawal and an alcoholic can possibly die if he doesn't either get his fix or get medical attention.

I think it's likely a combination of things. Maybe not so much anymore but I would bet almost anything that a lot of these guys went to schools where they were given free passes by school officials, authorities and everyone else. Especially if they were in a college town where one sport literally makes that town.

I've seen athletes get passes during my undergrad years. No biggie for them.

I also think there's some aspect of "cool". Not that drinking and driving is but it's probably a little more difficult to pick up women while pulling up in a cab. Absolutely ridiculous to me but if these guys didn't care about perception they wouldn't spend all the money on jewelry and cars to begin with.

Whatever the case, I agree with you. Between Leonard Little, Dwayne Goodrich, Donte Stallworth and now Josh Brent I think the league needs to really start hammering these guys.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    That seems to me like a polite way of saying they're going to take the steps necessary to make sure that they have something to point to the next time it happens. "We did this, this, and this". Players are getting DUIs all the time and if they don't make some sort of attempt, the NFL looks awfully bad.

I would guess that they force the "education" on them and all that other "engagement" stuff for a first offense and if someone does it again, I wouldn't be shocked to see an entire season taken away.
  10. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    They should have Ray Lewis come in to each team and address the players.

He could "lead them" in the right direction, to outside "interests" other than drinking.....
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received

And if they do not listen he could stab them.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,051 Messages
    2,827 Likes Received
    Sometimes in life you learn the hard way but people can learn to change their behavior. I use to party and drink and do drugs it was amazing how lifed changed after 30 days in jail. Now I don't drink or do drugs for over the last 24 years.

People know the danger but often times people only see it as it happens to others and not me I can handle it.