1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo 1-5 in win or go home games

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Dec 26, 2012.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,736 Messages
    837 Likes Received
    I don't believe the win over Philly in week 17 was a "must" win. I could be mistaken but had the Cowboys lost they still would have gotten into the playoffs as a wildcard.
  2. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Knowing Garrett, I would say that it is a rare play to get Tony out of the pocket - really rare. He is one of the most conventional OC's in the league.

Romo on the other hand, if he knows his protection is weak for the day is ready at the drop of the hat to get outside the pocket where he knows he will have a bit of time to make a play.
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,688 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure it was. At the very least it was win to take the division.
  4. KJJ

10,736 Messages
    837 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure had the Cowboys lost Philly would have won the division and the Cowboys would have gotten the wildcard and had to travel to Philly the next week. So yes the game was to take the division but it wasn't a "must" win or stay home for the Cowboys.
  5. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    We were already in the playoffs. A "must" win is a game where you win, or make a tee time for the next week.
  6. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Active Member

653 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    This. That game was just to decide who would host the wildcard game. It meant that Dallas didn't have to travel to Philly. But had we lost, that game would have been played in Philly.

This is a WIN or go home situation, and I believe that's what ESPN is alluding to.
  7. KJJ

10,736 Messages
    837 Likes Received
    Romo moves outside the pocket routinely so it's not something that's happening out of Garrett's control. Like I keep telling you and Romo's highlights back it up most of his plays come from outside the pocket. This is when he's at his best and Garrett's even commented on it. Romo is allowed to do what he's comfortable with. Avoiding pressure and extending plays is what he does best. Landry use to hate Staubach taking off and running but that was part of what made Staubach great so he allowed him do it. It came natural to Staubach.

Romo is one of the best QB's in the league when he's moving around making plays. Like I mentioned some of his worst plays have come within the pocket. A lot of his fumbles have come within the pocket. He's a QB who needs space to maneuver and when he's able to do get outside he's very effective. He'll roll around, spin and find an open receiver. I feel a lot more comfortable with him when he's outside the pocket doing his thing then within the pocket surrounded by defenders.

He's not real tall so getting outside gives him a lot of options to either set his feet and throw or spin around and move in another direction to find a receiver. It opens up the field for him. You never want to restrict a QB's improvisational skills Romo wouldn't be half the player if Garrett did.
  8. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,147 Messages
    1,804 Likes Received
    ESPN graphic:

"Records in Win-Or-Go-Home Games"
    Aikman 12-4
    Staubach 12-6
    Romo 1-5

I looked at the teams that produced those records, counting the number of players who had been to a minimum of 5 Pro Bowls with at least one 1st team AP All-Pro selection. (In the case of one player replacing another, both players had to have a minimum of 3 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro).

"Aikman" (7)
    Allen, Smith, Irvin, Novacek, Newton, Haley, Woodson

"Staubach" (8)
    Jordan, Renfro, Harris, Wright, Lilly/White, Hill/Dorsett, Hayes/Pearson, Niland/Scott

"Romo" (2)
    Ware, Witten
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Only morons who know nothing about football think that.
  10. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,361 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  11. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,361 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    What core group? Half of the core (at least this season) is on IR. It's a "new name" group of guys playing their guts out.
  12. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,361 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    KJJ is completely wrong. In the pocket, given time, Romo is one of the best QB's in the game. He will pick you apart. Unreal!
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Teams were also 0-7 against the defending Super Bowl champs to start the season this year.

In short, anything that happened on the field even a week ago, aside from injury, has absolutely zero bearing on what will happen on the field this week.
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    More rhetoric to attempt to validate illogical opinions as fact, man.

Don't waste the keystrokes!