1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Romo back in the groove, but Cowboys will wait until off season to re-do contract...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 3, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,922 Likes Received
    -- Clarence Hill

The Cowboys began talks with quarterback Tony Romo on a long-term contract extension earlier this season, according to a source, but tabled them until the off-season at the player's request.

The source said both sides will resume talks in the spring in hopes of getting a deal done before the 2013 season. Romo is set to count $16.8 million against the 2013 cap, with an $11.5 million base salary, in the final year of his deal.

The source also said the Cowboys current salary-cap issues as a result of being docked $5 million by the league in 2012 and 2013 for violating the spirit of the cap in the uncapped season of 2010 will have no bearing on the negotiations. The Cowboys have enough flexibility to get a deal done with Romo any time they want, the source said.

The only question is how much and for how long.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-season-to-do-contract-extension-per-sou.html
  2. plymkr

plymkr Active Member

167 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I think any Cowboys fan who has a "love hate relationship" with Tony needs to pull out the old game films of Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Ryan Leaf, and even Drew Bledsoe. Romo is the only reason I even expect to be competitive. No Romo, no chance.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    amazing how some here refuse to admit reality. IF we had any other QB except Romo we would be maybe 3-9 now. At best. More likely 1-11.
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,537 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    Run, Tony! RUN!!!

Go where the Owner/GM/Grand Poobah/CEO/Final Decision Maker/ Grand High Exultant Mystical Ruler doesn't hand your *** to the opposition on a silver platter EVERY year.

Go play football where you stand a chance. You deserve a championship.
  5. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,537 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    Our receivers would be doing nothing more than wind sprints.

With that said........Money says Orton is on his hands and knees before every game begging to keep Tony healthy. He wants no part of that death sentence.

Romo has unbelieveable pocket presence. Best I've seen for Dallas since Roger, IMO.
  6. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    746 Likes Received
    Doesn't there need to be a pocket in order to have presence in it?
  7. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,185 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    Sometimes I do wish this would happen. The criticism this guy receives is simply ridiculous. He deserves so much better.
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,619 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I long for the old Dallas Morning News forum debates, Carter v Hutchless.
  9. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    This sums it up pretty succinctly. :cool:
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,621 Messages
    5,530 Likes Received
    We knew that all along. Why can't we get news that is more current with the team?
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,472 Messages
    1,630 Likes Received
    I think Romo would be smart to ask for a trade this off season but I hope he gets the new contract done.
  12. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,613 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I find these trade talks by some really bizzare..I mean...really? Just think seriously about that for a minute, laugh and then welcome back to sanity.

I'm sure he gets top 5 money, probly 5 years.