1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo Is The Only Reason This Team Is Competitive

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Apollo Creed, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Parche

Parche Member

874 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Mmm the Between the O-Line, our "head coach" and our running game, you can pick our 1st, 2nd and 3rd biggest concerns.

Then after that, you can throw Romo if you want. But those 3 are before Romo on my list of concerns.
  2. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

802 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Exactly, it seemed as if Kitna had better chemistry with the WRs than Romo does. Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I don't remember any of these miscommunication issues when Kitna was the QB.

Tony Romo is not a horrible player, but the point I'm trying to make is that his play style is not conducive to winning on a consistent basis. I feel as if guys like Kitna and Orton have a better grasp on how to manage the game than Romo does.

A veteran like Kitna should know how to manage and play the game with all his experience, but some people around here act as if Romo is still a young player. He's had a lot of time to get things right in terms of his football IQ.
  3. Parche

Parche Member

874 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Lets see if I understand you... Youre picking Kitna over Romo?

Or youre picking Austin and/or Dez over Romo?

Ive seen worse things from Dez than Romo, and Romo has played three times more games than Dez...

(sorry for my english..)
  4. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

802 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I'm picking a "Kitna-like" player over Romo, yes.

You must have not watched the games very carefully if you think Romo has made less boneheaded plays than Dez.
  5. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

860 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Our receivers are easily as responsible for Romo's crappy start to 2012 as is his uncharacteristically sub par play. So please consider adding a "4th" to your list.
  6. Parche

Parche Member

874 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Youre right sir.
  7. Parche

Parche Member

874 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I watch Cowboys games these days, and I see a man who tries to do what he can (in many plays, he tries too much and should throw the ball away) while he doesnt have a RB which you can trust on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, and while your O-line falls apart (when it does not draw you another false start)...

The point is, Romos playing bad, I would say its playing really below his abilities...

But I still say the o-line, running backs (or lack of) and head coach (or lack of) are on my concerns list BEFORE our Qb.
  8. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Apparently you haven't been visiting CZ much lately. There are many ways to sugarcoat it. :D

Apparently the same coach and teammates that had so many Cowboys fans declaring Romo elite are now the reason he's been so bad. I mean, Jason Garrett has been calling Romo's plays for years, but now suddenly it's all his fault.
  9. Parche

Parche Member

874 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    The O-Line is not the same that made Romo Elite... Im pretty sure that no one on that O-Line can make anyone look elite...
  10. alsmith

alsmith Member

298 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've said before Romo is not the problem on this team..

It's always some one that can not do their job,

Game won if RB Jones carries and protects the ball right, you have the lead bonehead,

Dez, knows where he is on the field and what is going on, if he sets his *** down after the catch in the endzone,

Garrett, he called a good game, that is not the problem, execution and keeping your head in the game, knowing where and what is going on the field, that is the problem.
  11. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  12. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    The thing is, if you're elite, you play well and win despite the shortcomings of your team. See Aaron Rodgers. So by definition if Romo is always henpecked by the shortcomings of the players around him, then he is by definition not elite.
  13. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Lots of blame being thrown around here.

I get it, it's a deflection thread.

The right answer is the defense.
  14. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've said for years now that Romo was wasting his time here in Dallas. If he had a better team, better wide outs, better defense, better this and better that. It's always something else that was keeping us fom getting over the hump.

I don't know anymore..Maybe he's not as good as I thought.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    So several years ago, they blamed everything on Owens. Followed by Roy Williams, followed by Roy Williams, followed by Flozell, followed by Wade, followed by Newman. But now it's not okay to blame Romo since he's been here longer than anyone?

Gotcha!
  16. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,670 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Speaking of defense, how about yalls defense? They absolutely STINK and your secondary has to be the worst in the league and it ain't even close. I think you should be on your own board talking about that. They're outright AWFUL!!!!! Just sayin!!!!!
  17. Soopcooler

Soopcooler New Member

14 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you sat Romo on the bench and put in Orton you will find out that the offense ran badly because of Romo and not that Romo is making it look good.

The wide receivers have to over compensate for Romo bad accuracy. They have to be in precise spots for romo to get them the ball because thats the only way he can throw it to them.
    Orton can throw well without preset passes.
  18. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,180 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Give it up, my man. It's a losing battle. I came to that conclusion a while back. Romo is above the team and above blame. If you criticize him, then "you don't know football". Honestly, I have never seen so many excuses for a Dallas QB. He almost has as many excuses as he has interceptions and boneheaded decisions.
  19. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,920 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    The OP "gets it". Anyone who does not know how stressful it is to throw 62 times has NEVER played this game. I mean we had 3 downs to make 1 yard....and threw the ball 3 straight times!!!!!!!!!!!!! Romo can NEVER breathe a sigh of relief and let someone else make a play. Heck on the goaline HE himself had to get the yard on 4th down...after the OL and RB getting stuffed a couple of times. If Romo WAITED for his WRs to get open...he would be sacked OFTEN. So he lets the ball go HOPING the WR gets to the spot. And the WR does not get there. What is he supposed to do. Eli throws the ball up all the time and lets his WR make a play...either my guy gets it...or no one gets it. That is football 101. Romo cannot even trust for that to happen. So he has no run game. He has a porous OL that allows pressure with a 3 man rush. He has an average play caller (in JGs defense, calling plays is much harder when you cannot rely on calling simple run plays) He has inexpereinced WRs (Dez and Ogletree). He has one RELIABLE receving threat (WItten)...and that means moving the ball in 8 yard chunks....and with no running game...that means 12+ play drives....which means he will have to make a throw 8 times on a drive...and on 12+ play drives we usually mix in a penalty...which puts us in bad down and distances..which amps the pressure up even more on Romo...which allows the DL to pin their ears back...which means he is trying to get the protections set....before he throws to WRs who are not where they are supposed to be...and doing this while running for his life the whole time........like I said...some of you simple do NOT get it!!!!

Is he top 5? No! But I would love to see the so called top 5 QBs in the NFL do any better under these conditions I just laid out.
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    The Packers beyond all else have provided Rodgers lots of targets to throw the ball too -- WRs, TEs, etc. Beyond that, yes, they've fielded a truly awful offensive line and RBs.

I'd argue the Cowboy don't have a single phase of the offensive that doesn't have significant problems -- there are OL issues, the well documented WR issues with Dez, lack of depth, etc, and a RB1 that can't be relied on to be healthy.

In other words, unlike the Packers who have at least one piece of their offense still playing well in the WR corp that they can rely on, the Cowboys have none -- and that's the major difference why Rodgers can continue to put up big numbers and Romo has not. There isn't a single part of the offense the Cowboys can hang their hat on -- it's ALL dysfunctional.