1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo, OLine or Play Calling

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BlindFaith, Jan 28, 2013.

1. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

878 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Interesting stat I've been looking for and found, PFF for what its worth. The actual stat I was looking for was QB throwaways, so if any of you have the premium PFF stats and care to share that would be great as I couldn't find it in the free stats.

But this article shows the average time it takes for a QB to throw the ball and also how much time he has until he is sacked.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

Romo is 12th highest in terms of time to throw - 2.76
    Romo is 18th highest in terms of time to sack - 3.11

It’s also worth pointing out that pass protection is an easier job when your quarterback is spending a higher percentage of his dropbacks getting rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds of the ball being snapped.
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Gotta be calling routes that will develop in 2.5 seconds as well.
  3. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

653 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    :hammer:

I swear we're like the only team who doesn't run slant patterns or 5 yard outs.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,300 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Exactly.

The design of this offense puts a lot of stress on the Oline. When the Oline isn't good and the design of the scheme doesn't help them then it's just asking for failure.

Dallas was a completely different team when they played with tempo and urgency.
  5. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,362 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    Does this take into account Romo adding more time after the pocket breaks down?

I would say this shows in inverse relation, but I think it's too difficult to look at correlation and causation here.
  6. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Also, do they factor in any rollouts and avoidance of sacks? Because this happens quite often.
  7. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,563 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    it's possible.
  8. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I am sure it doesn't, because that would surely indicate he didn't suck, and that is what this is all about.
  9. Galian Beast

8,362 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    I mean you can look at the fact that mobile quarterbacks are the highest on the list, and that is because they extend the length of plays, but it doesn't necessary determine the quality of an offensive line.
  10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,898 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    If you read my long post on Romo in the Delhomme thread....

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4985945&postcount=134

....That was pretty much my point at the end. They get in trouble, fall behind and force Romo into throwing 40-50 times again because they don't call plays and game plan around their talent. On the winning streak before the last 2 games one o the things I started to notice was we were getting the ball to D. Harris and Austin on quick hitters and letting them run. A) It works as a conservative throw that is almost like a run and B) Its gets the ball out of Romo's hands and lets guys work in space. When we were starting games slow we were less aggressive with this type of playcalling.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,371 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    I think what you take out of this is that we need to design an offense that will allow us to play within our means. While it's true, IMO, that Romo extends a lot of plays and it's also true that his mobility is a big part of the reason we win games, I also believe that it's true that we hamstring ourselves because we rely on this way too often. I believe that this is a major cause of why and how we create negative plays for ourselves so often.

I have always believed that the best Romo has played is when he played for Parcells. Parcells structured the offense, and really limited it if you will, so that Romo got the ball out of his hands quickly.

I think that's probably something we really don't look to do enough, considering the talent we have on the OL.

JMO
  12. Galian Beast

8,362 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    Exactly right on so many counts. They tried to turn Romo into a pocket passer in the years following Parcells, the problem? They didn't give him an offensive line capable of creating that pocket.

Teams saw right through this and started heavy blitzing with 2 deep safeties.

Our lack of a running game has left us completely vulnerable to that.
  13. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

878 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I think the premium stats breaks it down that way.
  14. Wolfpack

2,660 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Yep. Short passing game was really not called much all season, a little here and there but never much other that 7 out to the TE, which i assume is a check down.

Lots of three verticals and back in to block vs the blitzes which I dont totally get honestly. Looking for a big play but the routes are too long for the heat that was coming in and the defenses (Last Redskin game) knew it.

I think the play calling and route packages didnt help with below average OL, it just heighten them.
  15. Wolfpack

2,660 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Totally right. Bill had the big air horn that he blew at 2.5 second mark in practice and the ball had to be out. He was trying to not get Bledsoe killed but Romo learned to play that too.

Bill always said Romo needed managed but you can win with him and I think he's right.
  16. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,510 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    IMO, if Parcells were still here, we would have been to a SB at least by now.