1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo or RGIII?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    The thread is about a comparison of whether you would make the trade as the Cowboys.

Like I stated previously...it would be silly not to trade for RG3 at this point and give up Romo. Still...not going to happen.

He might already be the better QB at this point.
  2. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Chris Brown (of smartfootball.com) was talking about this over the summer, that schemes, while appearing to be more "simple" will actually be incredibly complex things with all sorts of options because of the talent at QB rising through the ranks.

Imagine what Geno Smith and Johnny Football will be doing. Defenses are really going to have to adjust to a new era of mobile option running QBs who also have the arm to pass the ball.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,035 Messages
    2,264 Likes Received
    The spread is very much alive and well in the NFL right now.

The Patriots probably have the best offense in the league and look what they do. Lot's of no huddle, shotgun, and fast pace football.

This is the new NFL so you have to have a COACH that adjusts to this style of play and we don't.

The sad part is the Redskins style fits our team more than our own style does.
  4. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I couldn't find anything that specific, I suppose somewhere in the web it is available. Just curious, what would that specific split tell you ?
  5. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,581 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    This poll makes me ill. "Fans" voting "YES" for a Romo for RG3 trade.
  6. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Agree. The Patriots are using some Oregon and Florida/OSU (Urban Meyer) concepts which is very neat to see.

And I also agree with your last point, the scheme that you guys run doesn't fit the ability of Romo, such as a spread/ZBS/option scheme would.
  7. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Side note : I do find it funny that some think the Redskins offense is so simple...when defenses say something different.

It is much more complex than folks think. Lots of adjustments taking place on the fly.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Huh??

Just saying the OLs are similar, if healthy, but the playaction with RG3 does help his OL alot cause he freezes the front 7 and puts alot of pressure on the oppositions backend.
  9. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Exactly. Along with that more and more NFL teams have these concepts in their playbook.

The 49ers, Bills, Colts and Seahawks come to mind off the top of my head.

I wouldn't want RG3 in Jason Garret's scheme because I don't think its a particularly effective scheme. Dez Bryant's ability and Tony Romo's improvisation have helped make it appear respectable, but I feel its simply an outdated scheme to be using.
  10. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,035 Messages
    2,264 Likes Received
    We would be chilling in 1st place all by ourselves right now if we were up to date in our scheme imo. Or at least ran a scheme that fit our players strengths.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    All I know is I would never want the Cowboys to invest so much time and draft picks into Griffin.
  13. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,442 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    On Cowherd's show, RG was credited with a 4 for 45 success ratio on 3rd and greater than 8.

How does that compare with other QBs?

Are there other numbers we should be looking at?

Is Steve Young the running QB that RG would be compared to in order to access RG's value in the NFL? Following up on SuperPunk's point about running QBs, how long can Griffith be expected to last?
  14. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    This is terrible, terrible, terrible logic. Lazy, in fact. It's wanting someone to not be as good as advertised in the long run, so lets compare him to another black quarterback who can run that failed. Where are the comparisons to Steve Young? No wait, we can't do that...he's a HOFer, and you want him to fail.

The biggest reason I believe RG3 will be an all-pro for the next 10+ years is his preparation and work ethic. The quarterbacks who are extremely talented, but lack those intangibles, whether they can run or not, fail. Cam Newton thought he'd arrived half way through last season, and lacks the maturity to take his craft seriously. Hopefully this offseason he'll spend his time watching film of great players to pickup what they do well, and watching film of how he played to eliminate his mistakes. Vick admitted he didn't take film study seriously until after prison. Can you honestly say you see those flaws in Griffin? Seriously? Take a real look at his game, how he prepares, and the type of person he is, and say he's no different than Cam and Vick.
  15. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    QB is the most important position on the field.

In the current NFL, you do anything necessary to get a good one or you will stink for a long time. Sure, you can try to build a great team around an average QB, but that will take forever and not last long in the salary cap era.

One great QB and you can win for a decade. The Cowboys should actually invest more in the position, not less.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,035 Messages
    2,264 Likes Received
    If you need a QB then why not?

They have hope for many years to come because of RG3. There will be people picking them to win this division and go to the Superbowl as early as next year because of him.
  17. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Draft picks i get, what do you mean time? I would say that the Skins haven't invested much in the way of time? Are you saying you wouldn't want to have a qb that was the face of your franchise for 8-14 years?
  18. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Romo in a ZBS bootleg scheme would be very dangerous, which is why I am so glad you guys won those December games in 2009 and kept Wade on as HC, I did not want to see Shanahan in Dallas for that reason.
  19. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,377 Messages
    828 Likes Received
    I don't think Dallas throws behind the LOS to receivers as much as the Redskins do. I think it's mostly to the RB coming out of the back field. Yes, there are instances where I can remember when Romo does throw a quick pass to his receivers, but I think the Skins do it more by a good amount.

I was trying to say earlier that Jason Garrett would never take advantage of RG3's strengths and call more plays like this, if Griffin were to be the QB of the Cowboys. Hell, there would be no QB option run type plays.

This was in response to someone stating that Griffin would be a better QB in Dallas than Romo. It's two different offenses in which many of the fans here don't like what Garrett has done as a play caller and head coach.
  20. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'd rather them invest the time in putting together an effective offense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.