1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo stunk yesterday

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by bpfred, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I rewatched that series before the two minute warning. On that 3rd down, everybody was open. I don’t know why Romo didn’t make a play there. Then on that last series on 1st down, Detriot has all kindof confusion on defense. Romo should have quick snapped it. Just bad awareness when it all mattered the most. Romo is just dropping the ball at the end of the games. And i am a big Romo fan.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  2. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,311 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    You keep saying "I will never blame Romo for everything" Well congrats.... NOBODY on this forum blames Romo for everything!! Nobody. Do you realize that or not? Also, nobody is putting all of this past loss on Romo.. that would be insane. However, realists are saying Romo played a role in the loss and he did.

FYI.. "Playing a role" Does not = Romo is to blame for EVERYTHING. Gee whiz man.
    Gameover and dallasfan4lizife like this.
  3. ufcrules1

7,311 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    We need him to play good for more than 1 quarter.
  4. ufcrules1

7,311 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    Glad you are being honest even though you are a big fan of Romo. That is hard for a lot of people to do.
  5. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,156 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    I will disagree with this, .. it seems some find fault with him no matter what.
  6. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

12 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Football fans are the worst. If a starting pitcher is winning the game 4-3 and the closer blows the lead, I never hear baseball fans talking about how "he shouldn't have been in that spot to begin with". You either close the game or you don't.
  7. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,804 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    If I remembered correctly on that last series 3rd down he was running for his life and ended up throwing it out of bounds.
    Yes, would be nice he quick snapped it, IF everyone on the offense was set.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Yeah, but if a pitcher doesn't have his stuff, then he gets the hook and you bring in middle relief. When a starting QB in the NFL doesn't have it, there is no relief pitcher there so it's really not the same at all IMO.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  9. ufcrules1

7,311 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    Fine, agree to disagree. I personally am just honest with what I see. When he plays great I'm thrilled, when he doesn't, I'm gonna talk about it.
  10. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

12 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    My point is that if you're turning the ball over to your defense with the lead, you have expectations that they will sustain that lead. Granted, their was a minute left on the clock and they left Detroit with good field position, but their job is to defend the endzone. Why am I the only one who remembers that we were winning before we lost?
  11. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I think he didnt want to get hit again. He could have sat in the pocket and made a throw. Guys were open on the replay. On the other play Detriot had 13 guys on the field. Would have been a 5 yard penalty. Tanners 9 yard run wouldn’t have been accepted because it would have given the Cowboys a first down. They would have redid the down and taken off another 40 seconds.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I understand that but there was no reason to ever have to put it on the Defense. The solution was there. All we had to do was not screw it up on Offense. We couldn't do that. If you know your D is spent, then you have to make sure you don't leave it up to them. If you screw it up and put them back on the field, then don't you have to look at yourself and take responsibility for not getting it done when it was there for you to close it out?
  13. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,948 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    He was not at his best and frankly, he hasn't been for the last 3 games.

But he's far down the list of goats for this.
  14. ufcrules1

7,311 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    I think this is an excellent point. We knew we were playing with a backup CB and 2 backup safeties but yet we still don't try to close out the game.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,907 Messages
    1,985 Likes Received
    He had pressure but his pressure was late pressure. He almost always had a good 3 seconds to survey the field which is a life time behind the offensive line. But Romo's never been a guy who processed quickly. He rarely gets the ball out fast, and I think it's because he probably doesn't know where he wants to go. Plus, I think he's scared to make mistakes, and that's shameful. Great quarterbacks take chances, calculated risks. Great QBs usually get the ball out quick, totally void out pressure.

His pre reads, are horrible with some defenses. Yes, in some games, he'll make good reads. But most of the time, his reads are not very good, and never has been. Most of his stats are the result of big-play receivers who can turn it up and score from anywhere on the field.

We don't have a Super Bowl QB on this team, and that's been obvious since Romo took over.
    Gameover likes this.
  16. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

12 Messages
    2 Likes Received

The offense couldn't close it out without the run game because we both know they needed that clock to keep running. That didn't happen and Smith somehow got that holding penalty that killed the clock anyways. However, this argument that Romo played a part in the loss by underthrowing, overthrowing, holding the ball too long etc. is kind of moot because in that controlled situation he did his job, which was to leave the defense with a lead to protect. They didn't and that's not on Romo.
  17. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Romo doesn't matter when we haven't had SB TEAM for 17 years and that's ******* obvious that you failed to notice because your childish disdain for one player.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    They could have closed it out. If you simply run the ball, make no more yards and keep the clock running, you have a FG attempt that is well within Bailey's range, you put yourself up by 6 and you leave something in the area of 30 seconds left for the opposing team to get a TD. That is a very good, very solid chance to win a game if you can simply do those things. If you can run three run plays and not turn the ball over. If you can not commit any kind of penalty that stops the clock. If you can prevent the FG from getting blocked and give your kicker, one of the very best in the NFL, to have a chance to win it for you, then that's as good as you can get in the NFL. We all know the Defense was cashed at the end of that game. It is what it is.

As for Romo, well, he did play well and he said so himself. The offense did not play well and you simply have to look at the stats to see that. This D gave you 4 turnovers and 7 points and all you could manage was a FG. That's not on the D. That's on the O.

It is what it is.
  19. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

12 Messages
    2 Likes Received

My argument was all about whether Romo deserved blame for how that game ended. I am in complete agreement that Smith deserves blame and in retrospect I question the coach's decision of hedging their bets rather than playing super conservatively (i.e. kneel it out) or fighting for the first down. Ultimately though, I think the defense was supposed to close it out. I guess I'm crazy that way.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Fair enough. We disagree here but that's not the end of the world. In the end, we lost and all of this is just the moving of deck chairs around on the sinking ship right?