1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo's public perception level is entering Delhomme levels

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Jan 25, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    So you think after leading his team to so many crunch-time late 4th quarter wins, but then throwing an ugly pick in the last game this year, Romo is going to agree with you that he is the worst choker in all of NFL history?

He's humble, but he's not stupid. No, he would not agree with that and you know it. He's hard on himself and the first to take blame, but he does have confidence and self respect. He knows he's a very good QB....and being a person who can't stand to not to always be competing at something, and someone who when he does make a mistake in a key moment it is always him trying to carry more of the load than he should (or the opposite of choking) ...you must know that he does not view himself as someone who wants to avoid pressure sitations or choke.
    Give it some thought....

Here's choke in basketball terms.
    95% free throw shooter missing two straight free throws with one second left.

This is not a choke:
    A great 3 point shooter demanding the ball with time running out and shooting and missing a 3 pointer with a defender in his face.

The second guy tried to carry his team too much and failed the first guy choked.
    Romo, at times, is the second guy. He is pretty much never the first guy.
  2. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

843 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    Well done. A "Pants on the ground" moment indeed. ;)
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,366 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Unfortunately if his career ended today, he will be compared as such.

For the record, it is a good thing that he knows and isn't in denial about it, he himself acknowledges this as an obstacle, therefore he has a much better chance to correct the situation.
  4. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    Wish more posters could be honest with themselves like you are.
  5. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,601 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    Is this a good time to point out that I wish you could also be like him too?
  6. DFWJC

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    I doubt there is anyone in this thread that would disagree with this....except maybe the guy who said he is the worst choker in the entire NFL history. Your critique, by definition, would have been way, way too kind.

I think even his advocates see his flaws...or least everyone in this thread. They just don't see him as the reason we are where we are, but instead see him as plenty good enough to do the job if we further shore things up around him.
  7. ufcrules1

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    20 years from now Romo will be remembered as one of the biggest chokers ever and Delhomme won't be remembered at all.
  8. ufcrules1

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    What makes you think I'm not? I have said many times Romo is a good regular season QB and a great guy outside of football. I just also think he is a choker when the going gets tough. I'm not going to continually make excuses for the guy and act like I don't see him melt down in high stakes games.
  9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    Right. Agree! I'm not even sure if you need more around him vs game planning better where you can get the ball out his hands and make it where your not forcing a game on his shoulders with 40 throws...60% of them in the 4th quarter. If they are realistic about his tendencies then they need to rectify it. This is where I have issues with Garrett way more than I ever will Romo. I don't think they use who they have to the best of their abilities. I have a hard time believing that Austin, Bryant, Harris and Witten are considered low rent for a receiving core. They can find ways to get them the ball without forcing it downfield. A more control passing game that I rarely seem to see. It may be that Romo can't get it even with all things in place but I don' think they've done much to help.

Thanks!!I may not have people agree with things but I'll be upfront with what I think is the reality of the team vs picking a side. At .500 we really are in a gray area with a lot of these guys. I understand why people are angry when we seem to not move in one direction or another.
  10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,575 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Romo 2 Austin's public perception levels are entering 30yardslant level levels.

Level.

Meow.
  11. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

957 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    For the record, Romo is a Sean Payton guy. I like him as a QB and a person. But maybe he isn't THE guy.Maybe.Unless you can see into it, no one knows what the future holds.
  12. ufcrules1

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    Yeah, I mean I don't fully agree with your take on Romo, he has had 7 years and 3 coaches to teach him not to make the bone headed mistakes. He still hasn't figured out that snapping the ball with 0 seconds on the clock is a bad idea, he hasn't learned to throw the ball away, he hasn't learned to take sacks when he should, hasn't learned to stop assuming (See the Murray INT) he just threw the ball assuming Murray wasn't covered, etc. His biggest problem is protecting the ball.. especially when WE are in the redzone. Rule #1 as a QB is to protect the ball and he fails miserably at it.

It's the same mistakes every single year. When exactly is he going to learn? He is approaching 33 years old. I just don't think you can teach an old dog new tricks. With all that said, I can respect your opinion and we can agree to disagree.

Let me ask you an honest question. Do you think if we get a top 10 OL and made it to the playoffs where the intensity is higher and defenses get through our line, that Romo can be trusted not to make a boneheaded play? For me that answer is no. He hasn't shown me anything to change my mind. The Redskins game was a prime example of what he does when the intensity level is high.
  13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,575 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I've been the biggest Romo supporter on this board for many years and after this year I've thought about moving on from him.

Then I remembered this team has no idea what a QB looks like and really dont want to see Quincy Hutchensonaverde again.

Put Romo on San Fran or Baltimore and those teams probably are in the same boat, he has no help in Dallas from the guys on the field, sidelines and especially in the front office.
  14. Super_Kazuya

1,601 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    Again, this is you making up stuff to fit your agenda. You say Romo makes the same mistakes year after year and I have no idea what you're talking about. You're fixated on the Washington game and in your deluded mind the last ten years have all ended up the same way. What were these big mistakes that Romo made in 2011 on big games when he only had 10 INT all year? And no, the Lions game was not a big game.

But you keep on making up your own reality there...
  15. ufcrules1

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received

Then you and I have ZERO to talk about.
  16. Super_Kazuya

1,601 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    LOL... I'm not sure why you ever think we did. Whenever I ask the tough questions, your type gets QUIET. Because you've got a big bag of nothing. Best to put me on ignore... exposing your alternate reality doesn't really require your participation.
  17. ufcrules1

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    I don't care for posters who BLINDLY support players and cannot admit their shortcomings. You are officially on ignore..
  18. DFWJC

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    I don't see his comments except occassionally second hand and the we save each other a lot of time by not going back and forth on this all the time when there is no chance of changing the perceptions.

I was curious about that comment about always turning it over in the redzone. I bet he had fewer redzone turnovers this year than almost anyone. I'm sure he must have had one or two, but I can recall one in the Chicago game.
    Like you said, the guy just flat out makes stuff up at times.
  19. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    i think the only two were in the chicago game, the ogletree slant that hit him right in the numbers was intercepted and the fumble briggs ran back for a td, cant remember if that was inside the 20 or not.

there have been a bunch of turnovers by other players in the redzone over the past three seasons however, no one cares though. None of them dated jessica simpson.
  20. DFWJC

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    You're right