1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ron Paul: The Electoral College Serves to Protect Liberty and Statehood

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The Clinton thread started this conversation on the Electoral College, but since it's off the original topic of that thread, I thought I'd give this subject it's own thread.

Here's the opinion of our friend Ron Paul. As someone who has run for the Presidency as a third-party candidate, you might think he'd be in favor of abolishing the Electoral College... but his respect for the Constitution and understanding of our Republican form of government, leads him to a different conclusion.

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=174

2. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Another defense of the Electoral College:

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,349 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    I don't have time to read the second article, but Paul used a phrase I liked in the first - 'the whim of the masses.' I will be using that in the future.

And while I agree with the overall structure of his argument, there is a premise I find to be incorrect. Paul states that "The will of the people was to be tempered by the wisdom of the electoral college."

As I understand it, the electoral college is made up of politicians from state(?) congresses. I might be incorrect in where the college comes from, but I still think I remember it being from politicians.

The problem is that this promotes particanship and political agenda which, most of us I think agree, is exactly what we are sick of.
  4. Crown Royal

10,349 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    :rofl:

I just read some on the college - it seems that the electors are nominated by the political parties themselves.

That's a riot.
  5. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well yeah.

When you vote, you don't vote for George Bush or John Kerry, you vote for "electors pledged to G.B. or J.K."

So the electors that win that state's vote get to cast the votes for President. Those electors aren't compelled to vote for the candidate they're pledged to, so it's in the party's interest to appoint electors who they're confident will vote the way they promised to originally.

It's a little complicated, but it makes sense, doesn't it?
  6. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I understand the skepticism towards politicians. It's unfortunate that we are let down so often by those we elect to represent us.

But regardless of what we think about politicians, what this really comes down to is: what does it mean to be a Republic? And what are the consequences of losing our Republic?

I don't think enough people understand what that means anymore. :(
  7. Crown Royal

10,349 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    It does - but for some reason I thought that the legislative branches in the states appointed the electors.

I have continued to read more about the electoral college since posting - it seems that the theory is to make sure that all the states are equally important/represented based on population. I am still trying to see the logic there, considering that populous states get more electoral votes and what not.
  8. Crown Royal

10,349 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    I'm all for federalism (I will point out that I do feel that zealots for federalism sometimes takes their rhetoric a bit far, stating that the government was made to be fundamentally weak. It does happen to have a pretty strong Senate that is a fundamental theory of central government). However, I am not for dipartisanship - and I doubt I am in a minority there.

I don't pretend to know everything about the college - I understand that dipartisanship isn't a result of the college, so I will refrain from further comment until I learn more on the subject.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,608 Messages
    1,569 Likes Received
    The arguement that the Electoral College helps out the smaller state fails miserably. Kerry did not campaign in a lot of small southern states and western states since he knew there was no chance there. GW did the same for some states like Mass where he knew he also had no chance. So it already happens. What worries me about the electoral college is that in some close election an elector will get bought off or decide to go his own way and therefore the election will be decided by one or two people. That is wrong any way you want to look at it. Even as close as 2000 was it still was decided by over 500 people. Presidents should be elected by popular vote.
  10. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Interesting update here on the Electoral College front...

http://redstate.com/stories/elections/2008/north_carolina_stops_short_of_electoral_college_reform
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,230 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    I heard that the other day. All decisions seemed to be based solely on partisanship. That is why Dean stepped in. I rarely see ideas made without a partisan influence and he provides the proof. I thought the ideas in both NC and Cali were good ones. Maybe not the best, but pretty good. He did not provide any alternative ideas.
  12. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Losing 20 Californian electoral votes would be MURDER for the Democrats... no way Dean could sit still for that.
  13. joseephuss

21,230 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    Push for the same thing in Texas and maybe the Dems get those 20 back. Maybe not since the re-districting really screwed over the dems. :D I get why Dean did what he did. It is just sad that every move now is purely based on party needs. It is party over people for both the dems and repubs.
  14. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    As I've said before, I think this should be done on a state-by-state basis. I think it would be a serious violation of states rights to force a policy change like this on unwilling states.
  15. joseephuss

21,230 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    I agree. That is why the supreme court should have never stepped into Florida during the 2000 election. :lmao2:

If Dean or the dems want something similar in Texas or any other state they can put pressure on those state governments to illicit change. If California wants to change and it is approved by the voters of California, then it can be changed.