1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ron Paul to hold rival event during GOP convention

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 10, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,192 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    By KELLEY SHANNON, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 59 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas - Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is planning a daylong rally in Minnesota during the Republican National Convention that could draw attention from the presumed nominee John McCain.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas congressman with a devoted following has tentatively reserved the Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota on Sept. 2, the second day of the GOP convention.

"We plan on having a large rally," said Paul spokesman Jesse Benton. "We want it to be a celebration of Republican values and what the Republican Party has traditionally stood for."

Benton also said Paul wants to send a message to the GOP "that we need to return to our roots" of limited government and personal responsibility.

The Republican Party will be gathering at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul for its four-day event that will end with McCain accepting his party's nomination.

University of Minnesota spokesman Dan Wolter confirmed in an e-mail that the Paul campaign has a hold on Williams Arena in Minneapolis, Minn.

Supporters of Paul have been pushing for him to have a speaking role at the Republican convention. In the latest Associated Press tally, Paul had 24 delegates.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review first reported on its Web site about the Paul event.

___

Associated Press Writer Doug Glass contributed to this report from Minneapolis, Minn.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,287 Messages
    4,606 Likes Received
    It would be nice if the Republicans would actually listen to Paul instead of ridiculing him on his stances on the war.

He is closer to a conservative than combining bush, cheney and McCain all together.

Really wish he would have went to an indie ticket as I would have voted for him in a heartbeat over the two candidates even if he did not have a shot to win.
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,053 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Ron Paul is very intriguing. His supporters are whackjobs though. No offense to Ron Paul supporters on the board. :D

http://paulville.org/

Need I say more?

Edit: I would have seriously considered voting for the guy if I thought he had a real shot. He's as close to a valid Libertarian candidate as we've ever had.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Paul is unelectable. He doesn't poll well with women nor does he do well with young white males.

When his positions are stated blindly he does well but as soon as his face is associated with it, he goes down hill like a rocket.

Sad but it's the truth.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,287 Messages
    4,606 Likes Received
    Oh I doubt anyone here would argue that he would ever have a shot.

But be honest. Don't you think of all the candidates in both the republican and democratic congress he came across as the most truthful, the most character (in a good way) and most conservative.

I think a close second, as far as truthful and character goes, I would say I liked Huckabee although a certain topic of his turned me away.