1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Rookie review: James Hanna

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 24, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,312 Messages
    3,183 Likes Received
    Jan 23
    7:00
    AM CT

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

What he did: Hanna finished the season with just eight catches for 86 yards. Hanna was third on the depth chart behind John Phillips and, of course, Jason Witten for the majority of the regular season. But injures to Miles Austin and Dez Bryant in the regular-season finale at Washington forced the Cowboys to put Hanna on the field in key situations. Hanna had three catches for 20 yards -- with his longest catch going for eight yards -- against the Redskins. Hanna was considered a pass-catching tight end coming out of Oklahoma, but there was some concern about whether he could block well enough on a consistent basis. Hanna struggled in this area until later in the regular season, but he did a nice job in the passing game overall.

Where he fits in the future: Phillips is a free agent, and it appears he in unlikely to return. If that's the case, Hanna would move into the role of No. 2 tight end behind Witten.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704950/rookie-review-james-hanna
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,919 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    The concern was could he catch consistently.
  3. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm looking forward to seeing Hanna be a bigger factor in the passing game next year. Hanna down the seam is something we need to see more of.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    As I understand, Hanna became the number 2 TE towards the end of the season due to his progress.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I definitely hope to see this kid on the field more in 2013, he's a legit weapon down the field.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,925 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    The reason why Hanna slipped in the draft was because there was concern that he was not tough enough to make the catches over the middle; developing aligator arms. And he was also somewhat prone to dropsies in college.

You look at his measureables and he was a 2nd rd pick as a TE.

Now it seemed- though of course on a small sample- that those concerns did not have much evidence this season.

Actually one could argue that in college football at least aat the BCS level you are more at risk at getting unloaded on as a receiver then in the NFL now.

No defenceless player stuff in college football; and no Commissioner dealing out fines for big hits
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I think Hannah has bright future. I think 2013 will be a really good year for him.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,466 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    I wonder why he says that. Too bad if true.
  9. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Witten/Romo connection will never allow another tight end to flourish.lol I don't even know why people are getting their hopes up.
  10. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,822 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    I don't think that's true at all. All any receiver needs beyond ability is Romo's trust. It's not like Martellus ever earned that.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,925 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    when Romo is desperate he will try anyone- but if he is not he will not throw to a guy he does not trust to get it done. And he trusts Witten above all others and for good reason. But he can learn to trust quickly- look at Robinson.
  12. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Just wondering, CL, what did you really like about Phillips game? From what I read, Hanna supplanted him as the number 2 TE as the season progressed.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    and Harris and Beasley (to a lesser extent) are other examples.
  14. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,238 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    he looked like a dynamic player who was grossly being under-utilized.
  15. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,395 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    THIS!
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Agreed, his speed for a TE is very dynamic!
  17. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe Witten has maybe two or three more years at top level and that is when Hannah will become the #1 TE on this team.

I would imagine that we see him getting more and more involved next season.
  18. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,822 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    Exactly, Robinson is a great example.
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I don't believe it is fair to criticize the staff for Hanna's development. This was a kid from a major program who had off the chart measurables for a TE and still slipped all the way to the 6th round. Not many in the league believed he could be a competent pass catching TE. By the end of his rookie year it looked like he could be a dangerous receiving option. There was obviously a lot of work to do to make him look that way and the coaching staff should be congratulated for developing someone who looks like a future weapon for the offense.

My basic point is that outside of the top 10 most players are not quite ready to step in and play in the NFL. You pick someone with potential whose holes you can fix with fitness training, technique and fundamentals training, film study and play recognition. Hanna looked every bit like a second round pick out there just getting his feet wet. The staff is likely bringing him along properly and inserting him into spots where they think he can be successful today without making a grave error on the field.
  20. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,970 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    First Fascano, then Bennett now this guy.

No wonder the offense struggles so much. All the passing attack goes to Witten, he's slowing down and injury-prone, scares nobody past 6 yards past the line of scrimmage..

..and we can't develop anybody to replace Witten or compliment him.

It's a paradox followed by a cunumdrum underlined by lack of willingness to get receiving help at the flanker spots and out of the backfield.

Ugh.

:starspin RedBaLL EXPreSS :starspin