1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Rookie review: Matt Johnson

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 24, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,455 Messages
    2,311 Likes Received
    What he did: Not much. Johnson battled hamstring injuries the entire season. At one point, he dealt with back problems as a result of a hamstring injury. The Cowboys didn't place him on injured reserve because they figured he would return. Once healthy, Johnson practiced for less than two weeks before re-injuring his hamstring. He was placed on reserve/injured, designated to return on Nov. 17. Johnson said he was healthy toward the end of the season and was on target to practice the week after the regular season ended if the Cowboys had reached the playoffs.

Where he fits in the future: The Cowboys drafted Johnson because of his ability to make plays on the ball. In the time he practiced during the regular season, the Cowboys were impressed with his abilities.

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705131/rookie-review-matt-johnson
  2. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why was this even written? I can't think of a more waist of time than writing about a guy that Zero fans even know what he looks like.
  3. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,862 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Judging from the title, this should be the shortest article ever written.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,240 Messages
    826 Likes Received
    lol
    Not much to grade.

However, this is the guy I'm most curious about this coming offseason. If he can get in the rotation, that would be huge. It seems like he could fit well in the scheme. Gotta be on the field to prove it.
  5. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,090 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    hmmm

:lmao2:
  6. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,347 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Seriously, how much time did he actually practice? Less than 10 hours seems about right.

Matt Johnson year in review according to me: Never got uniform dirty or sweaty.
  7. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,415 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    :bow: :laugh2:
  8. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Have you guys even watched his highlight footage? Yes, it was college, and yes, he needs to prove he can get and stay healthy. But he was a 4th rounder! We need safeties! And the kid shows real talent and ability in those highlights. He reads, reacts, runs, tackles, and covers really well. The least we can do is pull for the kid.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,063 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    The most talked about 4th round pick in history. Well at least a close second to the QB turned WR from Washington. ;)
  10. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,214 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think Broddus made a great point about him. He was late showing up because he college semester lasted until summer. He missed early camps and conditioning, got behind the 8 ball physically, and was never able to really catch up. Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Stan Smagala.
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,784 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    Anyone's highlight makes them look like a beast. Have you seen AOA's highlight video? He looked like a beast.
  12. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,280 Messages
    755 Likes Received

Exactly ;)
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,936 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    Here's hoping for a Lee/Carter type of sophomore year coming off the injury.

Not holding my breath, but we'll see.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,223 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    Showed nothing and should be regarded as nothing until he shows something
  15. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Go watch them. It's play after play after play after play of beasting.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,399 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    Trainer give a scouting report?
  17. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

2,812 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Shouldn't that be what "highlight" video's are for....if not they would be call "low lights".

I hope for the kid, but we know exactly what we knew this time about him. Nothing.
  18. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,347 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    I don't even know what he looks like. I can't even recall seeing a picture of him.
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,472 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    To help his fan club out:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  20. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Yes, but IIRC one of the videos is nearly 15 min long. It takes a large number of highlights to make a video that long. It is really less of a highlight video and more of a video showing how consistently well he plays. The kid looks like a safety version of Sean Lee, he has that kind of nose for the ball. I know Lee was a 1st round talent and Johnson was graded 4th round or later, but the kid can play.