1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RossTuckerNFL: Tweet on Romo's value

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Coy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,234 Messages
    620 Likes Received
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,860 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Then those other teams should do it. Trade us two 1's and sign him to that rich contract.
  3. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,121 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    And who would be our starting quarterback?
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    Tucker is wrong.

Romo will get a really good deal here and will knowingly take less to stay here because: 1) he wants to be a part of getting this organization back to where it should be, 2) he has many friends and family here, 3) it would be a hassle to go somewhere new on many levels.

Reasons to leave would be 1) if we don't upgrade the line it will certainly shorten his career (or life..lol), 2) the vitriol fans ....but because he never really defends himself, he seems to have the necessary thinck skin.
  5. ABQcowboyJR

2,860 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Orton until we find a guy we like to replace him. Lets lower our cap hit and get younger and better in both trenches.
  6. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,290 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Wow, I'm a big Romo supporter, but no way is he THAT valuable. If that's what it takes to keep him, maybe it really is about time to blow the team up and start fresh (after Romo's current contract expires).
  7. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,885 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    Amen to that!
  8. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,373 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    if thats the case then I would trade him in heart beat because we should get atleast what Cincy got for Palmer (2 number 1s).
  9. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,539 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I think he's just trying to make us fans feel better in having romo. But this is way off. He's 33 and won only 1 playoff game. No team will give him more money then brees or Brady.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,185 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    The money in the NFL is crazy. Look at what Vick got a couple of years ago. I can believe someone would give Romo that kind of contract.
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,766 Messages
    1,183 Likes Received

Mort said the same thing on ESPN that if Romo was on the open market, he'd be made the highest paid in history. He's right too. There are teams in this league beyond desperate for a franchise QB and would gladly pay absolute top dollar for a QB that produces at his level.
  12. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,022 Messages
    264 Likes Received
    Raiders, Jaguars, Browns, Chiefs, Jets, Vikings, Cardinals, and Rams would all be better with Romo.

Lets not act like no one would want him and pay to get him.
  13. SDCowboy85

14,766 Messages
    1,183 Likes Received
    Exactly. There are plenty of teams that would throw a $100m contract at him and not think twice about it.
  14. DFWJC

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    I think everyone is aware of that.
    The guy would get a huge contract on the open market. He's a very, very good NFL QB.

But saying he would have the highest contract in NFL history is way over the top.
    He would not get that, would not ask for that, and would not deserve that.
  15. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,234 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  16. SDCowboy85

14,766 Messages
    1,183 Likes Received
    He's not the only one saying it though. You have to remember that proven veteran franchise QBs almost NEVER hit the open market. On the very rare occasion they do, they very much do command absolute top dollar to teams in need of one. It's not matter of deserving more than one QB or the other.
  17. ABQcowboyJR

2,860 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Orton isn't a bad QB if you can protect him a little bit. No doubt the O-line must get better, but that goes for Romo or Orton. Its all a value thing. Is the value Romo brings to the team better than Orton if you have to break the bank.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Tucker is very rarely wrong.

When was the last time that a HEALTHY Franchize QB with several years of production left in him hit the open market?

Look at the money that Manning got when there were lots of doubt he would ever be any good again.

Romo is healthy and while of course not at Manning's level he is way above any other one that I can think of that hit the open market.
  19. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,853 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Rams?
    Ok Bradford and a 1 and I would deal Romo
  20. DFWJC

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    No worries.
    They will not have to break the bank to extend Romo. They'll pay him well, but not 105 mil for 5 years like the OP suggests he could get on the open market. I think 15mil/yr average with some good guaranteed dollars will do it.
    I also think they back end may allow them an out.
    It's expensive but would actually help us on the cap for at least 2 years and maybe more.
    He's be a huge hit to the cap this year without an extension, and if we franchised him next year he would get top 5 QB dollars by rule.