1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Round 1 pick 14: Defensive Line

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Mar 20, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    This is my personal opinion and it has been for about two weeks now..if we don't take Decastro, I think we are taking a DE/DT..

Which DL at 14 is your favorite?

Poe
    Brockers
    Cox
    Coples
    Other (who)
    And why?
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Mine is Cox. They prefer Coples and Brockers.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    How do you know this?
  4. Jaxonsdaddd

Jaxonsdaddd Member

327 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think we are taking Anthony Spencer's replacement, Whitney Merculis OLB/DE
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ingram, Cox, or Poe IMO. Definitely like those better than Coples or Brockers.
  6. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I still like Perry over Merculis. I still take the other three I named before either of them.
  7. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Just my opinion..but I don't think we are going OLB..regardless of who is available..I dont think we like any of them.. Maybe Ingram but he will probably be gone..when it's all said and done, I just have a feeling we will end up w a DL
  8. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,024 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    Poe is the only d-lineman I would touch at 14. And he's even a pretty big risk. I just don't see a huge gap between Cox and guys we could get in the 2nd round. Worthy, Reyes or Thompson in the 2nd round would be a much better value that Cox at 14 in my opinion.
  9. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,718 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    I like Mercilus,Ingram,Coples, and Cox.

I think one of Ingram or Coples fall to us.
  10. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Funny you should say that considering OLB is the one position in the 1st round that has the most talent. IMO, that is the most likely position drafted in the 1st round.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Yes and no.. Stacked w average OLBs..none of them scream elite pass rusher
  12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    1. Coples
    2. Poe
    3. Cox
    4. Brockers
    5. Still
    I think Coples could be a darkhorse to fall for us at 14, but I think a lot of people have questions about his motor. Poe is benefitting from his combine and Cox gets the SEC bump. I don't like Brockers at all and I almost put Devon Still ahead of him.

Coples has the most potential, but Poe fills a glaring hole as a space eater in the middle of our line that would allow Ratliff to move out to the end. Cox would be Coleman's replacement, and I don't think our pass rush would benefit as much if we drafted Poe instead.

I'll lean with Coples because he has the most potential and I think he could play a 5 technique.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    As of today,

W Mercillus,

followed by

Perry, and then

Cox

Though it's very close between Perry and Cox.
  14. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Coples without a doubt, but I seriously doubt he is there at 14.
  15. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't know why people are including Mercilus, Perry and Ingram. I don't think they would play defensive line here, but would be in a stand up role. Big difference between a 5 technique and an OLB in a 3-4, and none of the ones mentioned prior could play a 5 technique.
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,718 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    For me personally, i'm thinking it's best pressure player available and ranked on our board, not just DL.

So I included Ingram and Mercilus.
  17. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I believe front five was what the OP actually meant when he said D-line. That would include OLBers.

Otherwise there is only two people considerable IMO. Cox and Poe. If that was the case, then why ask the question in the form it was ask. Just ask, "Cox or Poe?"
  18. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Well he literally said "DL". I guess I just took it to mean just that. I would also include Coples and Brockers on that list and maybe even Devon Still. Still was around our slot value prior to the combine and has slid because of Poe's combine. Doesn't mean he can't play.
  19. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,302 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    To me the best 3-4 DE is Cox, but not much difference in him and the rest. Cox has better speed, strength, and explosion off the line and is better vs the run. Plus played in the best conference SEC and put up better stats vs the same teams as Brockers.

But I don't see much difference in Cox and the second level. I would rather take Ingram or Decastro at 14 then take a DE in the 2nd. Reyes, Winn and Crick is that far off from Cox.

There are some very good OGs that can be had in the 2nd, Brooks, Silatolu, and Zeitler. But Decastro further apart from these guys than Cox is from the 2nd tier DEs.

OLB is another option. Ingram is the only one I want at 14. I like Mercilus but only one year of production scares me at 14 and I would prefer a trade back to add a 2nd round pick. At 14 I think you should be able to get a every down day one impact player.

I would be happy with a trade back to the early 20s and add a extra 2nd and walk away after day two with the following.

1st OLBMercilus
    2nd DE Reyes, Winn, or Crick
    2nd OG Zeitler
    3rd CB Boykin, Bentley, or Fleming
  20. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,722 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    Devon Still seems to have the highest motor and disrupts plays in the backfield more than any DL I can think of in this draft. Of course I have a small sample size of his since I don't see a lot of Penn State games, but he was amazing against Alabama.