1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rumor: Doug free to be released?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bowdown27, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,683 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    CBS' Jason La Canfora says it "looks like the end" for OT Doug Free with the Cowboys.
    Free is set to earn a $7 million base salary in 2013, and will count $11.2 million against the cap. Free started all 16 games in 2012, but he and Jeremy Parnell rotated down the stretch. Free graded out near the bottom of Pro Football Focus' final 2012 offensive tackle rankings

Multiple other sources on twitter and Facebook stating this. If everyone wants to look it up
  2. Bowdown27

2,683 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    "Breaking News: Just now coming out of Dallas. The Cowboys will be releasing Doug Free in the next few days. This will save the Cowboys bout 12 million dollars against the cap. Doug Free wouldn't been owe a basic pay of 7 million dollars this coming up season. I told you cowboys fans when the season ended. I say don't be shock if you all see the cowboys cut Doug Free in the offseason to get under the cap. He had 12 million dollars left on his deal. Good move Jerry Jones & the rest of the Cowboys staff. If you like this post. Feel free to re-share it on your wall or tag yourself to it & I will approve it. I wonder who will be the next dead weight cut? If I'm not on your friend's list. Just send me a friend's request."
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    How is this breaking news, everyone knew they should and would release this clown
  4. Bowdown27

2,683 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Just posting what I'm seeing. Think we all knew it was coming. Thank The Lord. But people like broaddus kept saying different.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    This is great news. They need to get rid of this guy.
  6. kelc

kelc Member

122 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    To bad he never panned out.Still remember that playoff game against Vikings and he replaced Adams.Looked pretty good in that game, really thought he had a future.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,463 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    What a scrub. Get lost loser.
  8. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,870 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    Just looks like one sports writer speculated on his release and the rest of the internet regurgitated the same story. The "multiple sources of twitter and facebook" is pretty much the same as saying "multiple users on CowboysZone" or "multiple users on <insert random site here>".

I'm not saying the original source is wrong. It just seems like it was a "will probably release Doug Free" comment that suddenly became "will release Doug Free" on the gossip services known as Facebook and Twitter.

/reality
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I talked to my cousin Brandon Carr and it looks as though Free is done in Dallas.
  10. weaver21

weaver21 Active Member

690 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Really? There ain't no need for that, man.
  11. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,555 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    I was really rooting for Free. He played very well for 1.5 season but then suddenly lost it in 2011 and got much worse in 2012. I know many have said that he just lacks the upperbody strength to latch onto players and everyone now really exploits this deficiency.

I wish him well but don't think he can hang on as anything more than a backup swing Tackle at close to vet min salary now after last year's performance.

I can't think of another young OT who lost it so quickly without injury or eating himself out of the league.
  12. plymkr

plymkr Active Member

185 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Can someone remind me how much he will count against the cap if he is released?

Thanks
  13. Titleist

Titleist Well-Known Member

724 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    Am I the only one here that doesn't want to see Free go? I'm not saying he's the answer, but he's a competent back-up and does not have an injury history. I'm just not sure that Parnell can handle a full workload...

I actually had this discussion with some friends a couple days ago and they all called me crazy, so I expect nothing different here
  14. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

1,001 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    who is replacing him? So now we going to draft a LT instead during the draft? Or has they figure out that Parnell is just as bad as free:laugh2: ? If anything we need some interior line players to beef up that middles and help the running game. It was coming anyways sigh
  15. kelc

kelc Member

122 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have never seen a OT get pushed around like he did in the last couple of seasons.
  16. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Yeah? I spoke with my Uncle Jason Garrett. He said the man is here to stay. They say he has heart.
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,912 Likes Received
    We cut Free we save $12 million on the cap.

Which would you rather have, Doug Free or an extra $12 million to spend?

Besides, just about any warm body street free agent could play as well as Free did last year, so the argument to keep him for depth purposes is moot.
  18. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Why can't good old Jerry get ouy there and play RT? Wasn't he a linemen in college back in 1908?
  19. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    why can't people talk about what's up w/o making jerry the focal point?

you got anything else?
  20. mickswag

mickswag Active Member

224 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    You do know he is related to him right?