1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rush Limbaugh challenges MSNBC

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 20, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,132 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    Political Bites: It's Rush against the world

1 hr 19 mins ago
    It's been a confrontational week in politics -- gauntlets thrown down, threats issued, dueling speeches -- and it's only Wednesday.

Don't say it: Conservative radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh has issued a unique challenge to cable network MSNBC. On his radio show Tuesday, the ever-modest Limbaugh said that the cable network is trying to "build its ratings on my back." From his website:

"I challenge you, MSNBC! Thirty days without anything mentioning me. No video of me, no guests commenting on me. See if you can do it ... Let's see if you can do Rush withdrawal. Let's see if you can run your little TV network for 30 days without doing a single story on me, and then let's take a look at your ratings during those 30 days and see what happens.

Since the election, Limbaugh has emerged as the defacto "voice" of the GOP — or at least, the loudest one. In January, Limbaugh made his infamous "I hope Obama fails" comment, and was featured in a Vanity Fair article titled "The Man Who Ate the GOP." Earlier this month, Limbaugh took aim at former Secretary of State Colin Powell, telling him to "become a Democrat, instead of claiming to be a Republican." Cheney joined the fray, remarking (on Limbaugh's radio show, of all places):

" ... my take on it was Colin had already left the party. I didn't know he was still a Republican."

Powell fired back at Cheney and Limbaugh last night, telling an audience in Boston that there was room for him in "another version of the Republican Party waiting to emerge once again."

Rush, being Rush, responded on his show Wednesday, saying "The only thing emerging here is Colin Powell's ego. Colin Powell represents the stale, the old, the worn-out GOP that never won anything." Ball's in your court, Colin.

Our prediction: A draw. If MSNBC takes Limbaugh's challenge, everyone will be watching the "little TV network" to see if it's keeping its promise; ratings will rise and both sides will get a whole lot of free publicity. Done and done.

This is not American Idol: Michael Steele, the outspoken new leader of the RNC, is never lacking for a snappy sound bite. Steele spoke to state party leaders this week, telling them it was time to take on President Obama. From AP:

"He's young. He's cool. He's hip ... he's got all the qualities America likes in a celebrity, so of course he's going to be popular ... but this is not American Idol. This is serious ... and we are going to take them on."

But even while Steele is trying to unite Republicans in going after Obama, he's facing opposition within his own party. Fox News reports that Steele is threatening to "step aside" if RNC committee members vote to take away his authority to manage RNC funds.

Now, where did I put that? The New York Times reports that an external hard drive containing "a huge quantity of personal information" from the Clinton Administration has gone missing from the National Archives. Some of the information on the hard drive includes: Social Security numbers and addresses of White House employees, Secret Service procedures and personal information about one of former Vice President Al Gore's daughters.

He said, he said: On Thursday, President Obama and former Vice President Dick Cheney will be giving dueling speeches on national security. Cheney's speech, which was planned several weeks ago, will be held at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, reports Politico. Cheney has been in the media spotlight recently, defending Bush-era interrogations and criticizing Obama's anti-terror policies.

The theme of Obama's speech will be the closing of Guantanamo Bay, and advisors say the speech will be more of an "effort to describe and defend his policies and the political and intellectual assumptions behind them." Today, the Senate broke with Obama, voted 90-6 to block $80 million in funding to close Guantanamo and transfer detainees to the U.S.

- Lili Ladaga

Yahoo! News bloggers compile the best news content from our providers and scour the Web for the most interesting news stories so you don't have to.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20090520/pl_ynews/ynews_pl355
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    :muttley:

Guy is a genius
  3. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Rush 1
    PMSNBC 0
  4. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Which party are they talking about?

Communist Party?

Nazi Party?

Beerpong?

Beer Bong?!
  5. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,869 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    They won't take the Pepsi challenge...
  6. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,817 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2:
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,800 Messages
    1,670 Likes Received
    I doubt MSNBC is smart enough to figure this out.
  8. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  9. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    additional comments from Rush on reason for challenge......

It is clear to me that MSNBC is hoping to build its ratings on my back. It seems that the liberalism that is MSNBC isn't selling as well as they would like because they cannot -- from the Scarborough show in the morning, all the way to night, they cannot; they cannot -- go any appreciable length of time without showing video of me, the CPAC speech or excerpts from this radio show or having a bunch of hack guests on to discuss me. So my challenge is this, to MSNBC. Let's see if you can run your little TV network for 30 days... Let's see if you can do Rush withdrawal. Let's see if you can run your little TV network for 30 days without doing a single story on me, and then let's take a look at your ratings during those 30 days and see what happens. Because obviously MSNBC thinks they cannot get numbers without focusing on me. So I challenge you, MSNBC! Thirty days without anything mentioning me. No video of me, no guests commenting on me. See if you can do it. You know, stand on your own two feet. Stand on liberalism. Stand on what you believe. Stop bleeding off me. I don't care about the ten extra listeners they might be bringing me. Ten extra listeners, I mean, that's irrelevant to me. They're not... I just want to see if they can survive on their own. I'm a self-reliant guy. I don't rely on them.

10. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,181 Messages
    2,023 Likes Received
    I love your Avatar Bach. That's one of the coolest pictures I've seen. That dog has entirely too much personality.

:laugh2:
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Speaking of obsessed, this no-talent turd can't go 24 hours without referencing O'Reilly. Jealousy rears its ugly head when your ratings are in the basement.
  13. Guli

Guli New Member

49 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the Senate broke with Obama, voted 90-6 to block $80 million in funding to close Guantanamo and transfer detainees to the U.S.

Could the light of reason have finally broken upon our illustrious governing body?!?!?

Nah.
    :lmao:

Most likely they were afraid the terrorist would go after them.
  14. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :shoot5:
    Well at least we know Concord is watching him and is one of his biggest supporters. Hey Concord how's that stimulus package working out for the folks in Ohio, Everyone lining up to get those temp Government jobs :shoot5:
  15. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, if I had a dog it'd be like this one.
  16. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    [IMG]...Don't hate me because I'm right.
  17. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Olberman is a nut that gets his material off left wing blogs. If Rush is on the far right, Keith is on his own planet.
  18. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You should be beaten for this post.
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you're one of the 13 people who still watches that clown?

:lmao:

Keith Olbermann is the most bitter man in America. Can't even sniff Hannity or O'Reilly's ratings, so he constantly begs for attention using grade school humor and unprofessional reporting.
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes...he's so right, in fact, that his ratings are roughly a fourth of those achieved by the conservative talking heads whom he constantly bashes.

:lmao2:

There is a message here, and that message is that America is not made up of people who think like Olbermann. The looney left represents a small minority of the population and yet can still get votes because of biased media and the millions of conservative democrats who just can't bring themselves to vote republican.