1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Russell Wilson - the new face of the NFL?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Jan 20, 2014.

?

Russell Wilson - a new face of the NFL?

Yes 7 vote(s) 12.5%
No 49 vote(s) 87.5%
  1. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,098 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    No

He played like *** yesterday but fortunately his defense won it for him.

He's an above average player, some morons compare him to Brees but that's laughable IMO at this stage.
    mcompact likes this.
  2. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Yeah, the QB are always featured.

But this year they will emphasize old vs. new much more than in past years.

Bus driver or not, the NFL loves Russell Wilson and will hype him up as much as possible.
    Cowboy Brian likes this.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,814 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    No reason not to, not exactly like he's starving but he's not bringing in the big bucks as a third round draft pick yet he has continually given sizable donations to foundations all around Seattle. Great person, great leader, good football player and I'd expect he only gets better from here.
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,133 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    As soon as he can complete more then 20 passes in a game will talk.
    mcompact likes this.
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,173 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Maybe -- the low yardage is certainly indicative of a bus driver, however, his consecutive seasons with 100+ QB rating, 63.5 completion percentage, and very nice 26/9 (26/10 in 2012) TD/Int ratio indicate he might be something more than a bus driver -- especially consider the the average (at best) WRs Seattle has.

Golden Tate is a good #2, a great #3, but absolutely is not a #1 WR in this league.

In summary, I'm not 100% sold that Russell Wilson is <just> a bus driver.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Jenky and tecolote like this.
  6. remdak

remdak Active Member

202 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Romo is an ethnic QB, he's Hispanic. His grandfather came to Texas from Mexico.
  7. perrykemp

5,173 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    As soon as he <has to> complete 20+ completions, on average, in a game, I think you'll have a good point.

As it is he is completing a very respectable 63.5% of his passes to a very average set of WRs.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. perrykemp

5,173 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    I'd argue he is somewhere between a bus driver and a top tier QB. He is in the that group of roughly 10 guys beneath the top tiers who are plenty good enough to win Superbowls.
    CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,857 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Ask me in two weeks
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,133 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    I would call him average as well.
  11. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,059 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    No, if any of the young QBs are going to be the "new face of the NFL", it will be Andrew Luck, likeable, smart, great football player, and already very successful for someone as young as he is.

Russel Wilson will never be viewed as a top QB in the NFL IMO(or the face of the NFL), especially as long as he has a top 5 defense/RB carrying majority of the load.
  12. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received

If they win the SB he'll instantly be the media darling but if they don't it'll be a whole new year of papa john commercials. He needs to get a ring first.
  13. Cowboy Brian

11,814 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I agree with Andrew Luck but there will be more than one - Brees, Brady & Manning will all likely retire within the next three seasons. Luck needs some large scale success first, getting to an AFC Championship game or having an amazing regular season will likely suffice. Wilson can seize it in two weeks.
    dstovall5 likes this.
  14. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,365 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    I think Sherman might be the face of the NFL for a while..
  15. Cowboy Brian

11,814 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Well, in the elk of Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chad OchoCinco - he's the new drama king. He'll get tons of headlines and media attention but he wont be on NFL posters, brought to business meetings and featured in TV ads.
    TheCowboy likes this.
  16. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,884 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Russell Wilson has grown on me ever since his rookie season. More often than not, he displays good decision making which was apparent in his 1st season. I see an incredibly smart guy who has athleticism and can make every throw.
    The addition of Percy Harvin didn't quite pan out due to injury, but giving him more weapons is only going to help him. His wide outs aren't that great but he'll at least give them a chance. The guy also looks like he has ice in his veins.
    perrykemp likes this.
  17. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    This just isn't true. Seattle has never been and still isn't a passionate football city. They are passionate for a national title, and the Seahawks are the flavor of the day since they are currently winning. They would be just as happy with a WNBA title. Half of my family lives in and around Seattle and not a one has a lick of football knowledge. I watched Seattle/Dallas in Huskies stadium prior to the new stadium opening and you could of parked 100 trucks in all the empty seats. Winning games is what has brought out Seattle fans and nothing more, the same thing would happen in Tampa Bay if they were to put together 2 good seasons. On the other hand the Cowboys could miss the playoffs for 40 years and they would still sell out games. A passionate fanbase is a fanbase that shows up win or lose, that is not what you have in Seattle. The same thing happened with the Supersonics and Marineers, and when the wins left so did the fans.
  18. Dday22t

Dday22t Member

97 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    They basically tell him "Our defense & run game are awesome, don't screw this up." He does well with that game plan for that team. (Throw in the fact that nobody follows their games other than people in Seattle). Does that make him the face of the NFL?
  19. Cowboy Brian

11,814 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    That doesn't but the fact that he presents himself as a polished speaker, great leader and exceptional humanitarian making donations to organizations around Seattle may. Consider that he made $526,217 this season and he's donated more than most players making 10x what he has, he's likely volunteered more time than any player that rivals his notoriety. I follow him and his wife on Instagram and daily they post pictures of some great generous activity they've done that day. On the field he's a good QB, he's likely top 14 right now, given some more time he can easily develop into a perennial top 7 QB, maybe even top 5. He's a great human being, he's ethnic (important when you consider there are no ethnic QBs that are ultra-high profile outside of RGIII) - he's everything the NFL wants in the guys they market and bring with them to multi-billion dollar negotiations.
    dreghorn2 likes this.
  20. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,213 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    I'd say hes deserves the consideration and in my opinion is well on the way. I like him a lot. Hes gunna become one of those smart QBs that beats you with his mind, not his legs or arm. Fun to watch and will eb for years to come.