1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

S Kenny Vaccaro Working Out w/ Cowboys on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by IAmLegend, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,911 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Barron definately had a better supporting staff, but you are comparing a guy with 5 ints, 20 passes defended, 13 TFL and 2 sacks over his career with a guy who had 12 ints, 22 passes defended, 13 TFL and 5 sacks over his career.

IMO, Barron would go ahead of Vacarro if both were available. Does that mean he'll be the better player, no, but he's the better prospect.
  2. Manwiththeplan

4,911 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    lol, i should've read the whole thread before posting :(
  3. Manwiththeplan

4,911 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    You're definately more familiar with any Texas player than me, but in a Tampa 2, I think Vacarro could play FS or SS.
  4. kazzd58

kazzd58 Member

122 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Id rather get oline in 1st round and T. Mathieu n 2nd from LSU. Y? Cuz he's a playmaker turnover machine
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    Way early for Mathieu.
  6. kazzd58

kazzd58 Member

122 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Maybe but since this new rookie pay scale in place now, I dont think it will b that much of a price for him.. For what he can do for our tesm which is create turnovers
  7. Manwiththeplan

4,911 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    that would be horribile in terms of what the pick is worth. money has nothing to do with it, just what we could've had.
  8. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,164 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I like Vaccaro and wouldn't have a problem with him at 18. I think the 18 spot is exactly what his value is worth and that he should go somewhere between 15-20. That said, I really like some of the safeties rated behind him. Cyprien, Rambo, Thomas, and Swearinger are all interesting players and guys I'd take in the second round. Personally I'd sit tight at 18 and hope one of the guards or defensive tackles dropped. If not I'd look to trade back a bit and look at guys like DJ Fluker and Sylvester Willams. I'd then sit on my hands and pray Phillip Thomas was there when I picked in the second.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    I don't know GB. I think Church (healthy) would fit well as a SS in this scheme. I don't see it as a pure Tampa 2 anyway.
    But, fwiw, I listed those 4 because that would be the likely group if we drafted vaccaro. I realize there are better players than Church, just not expecting two new Safeties starting. I do like Church's potential.
  10. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

838 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Agreed. I ha this convo with a friend yesterday. We agreed that 3rd was earliest we would even be debating on it. Even then it still depends who was on the board.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,267 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    I doubt Mathieu is even on the Cowboys board. Broaddus has even said that he's in the box.
  12. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,362 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Monte Kiffin is the Godfather of the Tampa-2, it's what he knows and what he does. And it's what we'll be running.
  13. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,226 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Any word on how the workout went?
  14. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,167 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    I'm not a big safety guy in the first unless they are clearly superior athletes from big schools who have done extremely well on the field and have all the numbers and intangibles. So that leaves the occasional safety or two to go in the top 15. They're there in the 2nd and 3rd generally otherwise. And I try not to fall in love with DBs who no matter how well they turn out generally make their share of busted plays their rookie years.

I think OL is a safer bet at 18 in general. Of course each draft is going to be different with depth at certain positions. I'd be looking for an OT then a superior interior lineman then S in this draft unless one was clearly superior.
  15. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,934 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Don't bank on it. He has said he will play much like seattle, or at least told thd D to study that D. More aggressive press coverages for our cb's which suits them. I know we will mix in cover 2 schemes but I would bet it isn't our staple
  16. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,362 Messages
    523 Likes Received

Our projected DL is the total opposite of Seattle's DL, which can tell you a lot about what kind of coverages a team will lean towards in the secondary. We're undersized and fast up front, Seattle is huge and eats up space. Undersized and fast on the DL is classic for a Tampa 2 style defense, it encourages penetration up front sacrificing running lanes because the CBs can help more in run support from their flat zones.

Seattle can leave their CBs on an island more often because they are enormous on the DL and make their guys 2-gap.

Most recent example of what our defensive personell is being set up for is the Colts under Tony Dungy. Dungy invented the Tampa-2 with Kiffin so this shouldn't be much of a shocker.

Seattle plays some cover-2 and Kiffin's familiar with Pete Carroll so it doesn't surprise me that he has confidence in Pete having his guys fundamentally sound in a cover-2 look, but Seattle is also a multiple defense that borrows concepts from numerous schemes... and that's not something we're set up to copy nor is supported by the coaching moves we made.

You don't bring in Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli unless you plan on running the Tampa-2 as your staple. Anyone looking for something else will likely be disappointed come September.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,213 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    I'd be pretty upset if OL isn't the first pick.

A good coverage safety would be a decent consolation prize but this OL has got to get fixed.

It's not like the bar is set real high for either OL or S right now so I think it's possible Dallas get a starter at either beyond the first round.

I just prefer the team go OL. I would be ecstatic if they used 2 of their first three picks on the OL but doubt it happens.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,744 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I think their playing big was a byproduct of what they had to work with. They drafted Irvin, signed Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett over the last two off seasons. They are getting smaller, and spending valuable resources to do so.

I'd be happy with Vacarro, depending on who's left on the board. I had the guy in mocks back when quite a few people didn't like him but outside of the 4.6 40 time (which I don't care about), I think he really helped himself at the combine.
  19. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,837 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I think he did as well. That 4.06 20 yard shuffle is great, speaks to how fluid and rangy he can play.
  20. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,479 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, but I can't think I a worse strategy than what you've proposed.