1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SA: Cowboys cornerback playing with chip on his shoulder

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Cowboys cornerback playing with chip on his shoulder
    Cowboys corner thriving in Ryan's salty defense.
    By Tom Orsborn,

With each interception he makes, Terence Newman could be posing this question to Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: You liking me now?

The ninth-year cornerback all but admitted Thursday his recent stellar play has been fueled in part by Jones' efforts this summer to replace him with a marquee free agent.

β€œA lot of people doubted me,” Newman, 33, told reporters in Irving. β€œIt's easy when you have people that doubt you. You go out and try to prove people wrong. That's what anybody would do.”

After recording three interceptions in his last two games, including one he returned 43 yards for a touchdown in Sunday's 44-7 blasting of Buffalo, Newman leads the Cowboys in thefts with four...

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ng-with-chip-on-his-2275574.php#ixzz1e2Gy63pJ
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
  3. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,457 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Keep doing what you doing Tnew.
  4. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I would restructure his deal at the end of the season, but he is still one of the better corners in the league.
  5. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    T-New is shutting down his half of the field once again... He's playing all pro type of football.
  6. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tnew having a solid season....always liked his play.....expected more from a high 1st rounder tho.

Also....I just dont get Tnew being motivated to prove people wrong. Every season you should be worried about your job.

Maybe we should of doubted Tnew every year if that what it takes for him to be motivated.......just sayin :) ;)

Anyway its good to see Tnew playing well.......we need him too...
  7. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,633 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Sooo... Newman is upset that Jones decided to go a little younger at a position he is paying to much for based on the production given out of it. JJ should have tried this ploy several years ago then because TNew has been hurt or getting beaten for big plays quite often. He is a good corner just not 8mil a year good.

So basically he is playing up to his pay for the first time in about three or 4 years and he is mad that Jones tried to replace him.

What happens next year??
  8. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,333 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    what 2 years younger?

if he was 26 or 27 ok..but NA is old too

I would be pissed too if i was newman
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    Tnew has been recognized for years as one of the last guys out of the weight room; and has played with injuries often. Jerruh was totally out of line in some remarks he made about Tnew. No one should question his commitment.
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    Whatever is working for you TNew keep it up. I'm loving watching you play lights out for the Boys this year.
  11. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,658 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Would you need the team looking to replace you to be motivated to play at the top of your game for $8 million.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,471 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    yeah, purely by chance in a contract year he is playing great, "shutting down half the field" and is healthy

go figure

must be pure luck
  13. burmafrd

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    it is not a contract year for TNew. His has several more years left on it.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,511 Messages
    6,259 Likes Received
    Wow. A lot of posters who were loudly very, very wrong about TNew refusing to budge. The criticism shifts to 'you shouldn't need to be motivated with the salary you've got,' but I'm not reading a lot of 'my bads' here. Why am I not surprised?

Oh, and re: his salary, I'll ask again, though I'm getting sick of the question myself: what, exactly, do you people think #1 CBs get paid in this league, anyway? Just once, I'd like to see a poster who's critical of what TNew makes for a living put it in context relative to what other players in his position make.
  15. burmafrd

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    how much is that #1 CB in Philthy making?
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received

Except for the simple matter of it not being a contract year for him.

But hey don't let little things like details get in the way of your poor attempt at being witty.
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    NA is making about $12M per year.

TNew's contract averages about $8M per year and he has 2.5 years left on the deal.
  18. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Newman detractors looking foolish.....again.

The ignorance concerning Newman is staggering.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,471 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    was there talk about him getting cut in pre-season?

dont get me wrong, i have always said that he is a good CB but over-hyped by cowboy fans

having said that, if the cowboys re-sign him to a reasonable deal i would not object, i think he can still play at a high level

this is why i was against drafting peterson (LSU) and still feel that if we keep upgrading the front 7, our secondary as currently ocnstituted is good enough....

from my perspective CB is not a high priority if can keep the current group
  20. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,633 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    You are correct sir... It is not a contract year for TNew, on the other hand it has been widely speculated on here and by a few talking heads that NEXT year they will be either cutting Newman if he doesn't perform better or cannot stay healthy or asking him to take a pay cut. A combination of age and what was thought to be deteriorating skills has many believing he is not worth his contract.

As a matter of fact quite a few people believe Jenkins or OScan would supplant him next year. So no this is not a contract year in that his contract will expire but it is a contract year that if he does not play up to his contract he will not be paid his contract... At least not in Dallas. That is the driving force behind my and possiby others who feel the same way on this subject that Garrett and Jones are moving high priced players that are UNDERperforming out of the way of the youngsters; or would rather pay a younger FA with similar skills the same money.