1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SAE: Cowboys Minicamp Report

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, May 30, 2005.

1. Hoods

Hoods Active Member

971 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Woah, calm down.

When did Bill ever say he was not going to play him at safety due to his special teams value? Where are you pulling this "punishment" stuff from? All he's saying is if Keith does start, the special teams will be at loss of a good player. If anything, he's just complimenting that Keith is a very good special teams player.
  2. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,024 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Atta boy.
  3. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,216 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    Don't these guys listen to the PC?

Parcells emphasized that Romo was not ahead, that he just head been in the system longer and understood it better.

Go to the PC.

Parcells said, "Romo is a little ahead in understanding the offense at this point.

He followed that up with, "That does not mean he's ahead."
  4. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,544 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    well, technically, it means romo is ahead in the "understanding the offense" department. i wouldn't dismiss it too quickly - as it is a rather important facet to leading an offense.

these are the rounds upon which the bout is decided. :fight:
  5. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Should be a good battle, hopefully they both light it up in preseason. Trade one of them off a la Hasselbeck or Feeley....or just have two good young QBs.
  6. zorg222

zorg222 nose picker

754 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hasselbeck, maybe, but Feeley, blah, just thinking about Feeley makes me wanna barf :puke:
  7. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Yeah, but wouldn't you like a second round pick for the undrafted Romo? I sure would.
  8. zorg222

zorg222 nose picker

754 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he** yeah... talk about a one-sided trade, as far as pick value.

But where you are drafted doesn't have anything to do with your ability. If you judged talent, strictly by draft position, you would say that Tim Couch is better than Tom Brady, and you know that ain't the case.

Don't put too much into where a player is drafted, Romo has got moxie.
  9. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,216 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    Let's see a player coming from college football with an extra year in the system versus a player 3 years removed from football having to catch up in every area.

Yet Romo is only, per Parcells words and not mine, slightly more advanced in understanding the system.

Romo should be, a year's more advanced, perhaps he should have his caddy reading the playbook to him.:D
  10. StonetheCrow77

StonetheCrow77 Member

876 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Understanding and executing are two different things... Romo knows what he should do with the ball in this offense... great, can go out and do it on the field?
  11. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I heard and read it - Romo is ahead in understanding the offense. Thats critical to being a dependable #2. Not a guy who plays a half, gets blitzed silly and yanked.

This is a real battle for #2 and DON'T sell Romo short. He's going to give Henson more than he can handle.
  12. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bledsoe Signed to 2 year deal
    Romo gets 2 year deal and $2M

Henson is what he is - a raw qb fighting off rust 3 years after baseball failed trying to be an NFL QB.

I could debate the Romo angle contra Henson against you in spades but in spirit of board civility, won't :cool:
  13. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey Nors.

I am starting to get an uneasy suspicion you are, (kills me to say it), right.

That is, Henson is still the long term solution as starter, but this year will be worked with by Lee, intensively.

In the meantime, Tony will be officially proclaimed Number Two for this season.
  14. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Could be...if Tony outplays him in camp. I am not selling Henson short, I think he has the talent to be the number 2 and eventual number 1. Remember, he beat out Romo for the #2 spot as he rounded into shape last year. BP could have started either guy at Thanksgiving, but he went with Henson. I think its going to be a good battle. That one and LB will be two of the more interesting ones in camp.
  15. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Junk, I think Bill already has his mind MOSTLY made up, a la 03. Like the back up spot is Romo's job to lose this summer. However the situation differs in that unlike 03, it's not a "Double A player" who gets allocated to the clipboard, but the intended long term starter.

He got in this yesterday when discussing Drew and Tony" "I still have to get my starter ready". Like with VT last summer, that will take priority, altho Bledsoe isn't anywhere near the rep hog Testaverde ALWAYS needed to be to shake off the annual "rust".

My feeling is Henson is more of a long term project than we thought, and that Lee is here primarily to develop him. I really believe the FO is hell bent on doing this RIGHT, and they see high level starter potential and talent in Drew.

Romo being second on the depth chart won't do anything to convince me Henson is not the "future".

JMO. :p:
  16. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One thing to keep in mind (and I think this is LTN's point) is that just because Romo gets named #2 this year it does not mean that they will not open it up again in TC next year; or if Henson gets named #2 for that matter. I think these two guys will be in close competition with each other as long as they are both here until one of them takes over as the clearcut starter. This could be an annual discussion until Bledsoe is gone.
  17. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

:muttley:

[IMG]

Did you catch it yet???
  18. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    You're half way there, LTN.
  19. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Could be, but knowing Parcells, if Henson comes out and blows Romo's doors off this TC, I have no doubt he will go with Henson. Same goes for Romo, best man wins. I guess I don't buy the whole "He already has his mind made up" bit. I think its wide open at this point. Is he leaning one way? Maybe, but if that way is Romo, it doesn't reflect his actions during the season.

I do think that we got a little overzealous with Henson early on. Honestly, I expected him to look like he did in the Bears game during preseason. I wasn't expecting anything from last year. Instead, he looked sharp in preseason and good against the Ravens. Flashed those skills and everyone started to think maybe he was going to get it quicker.

I have no problem with taking it slow with Henson. Its the right approach. Although I would prefer Henson to grab the #2 spot simply because I think he is the more talented player, I would have no problem with Romo stepping up and showing he can be a player either. I just hope that one of them does and preferably both of them do.
  20. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's because I have no problem with Tony Romo, or those who prefer to see him win out, Ben..

But I also realize I sound pretty pathetic...I can see myself twenty years from now in my rocker, knitting needles clicking, "Coach Lee is getting Drew ready, just you wait and see.."

Funny tho, how Joe Gibbs can say (and mean), "the second most important player on the team is the back up QB", but with Bill, you always get the feeling it's such a BORE for him. :p: