1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

SAEN: Smit the pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Apr 29, 2011.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
  2. CrazyCowboy

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    IRVING — Scouts say Tyron Smith has a huge upside.

According to Smith, it's Hall of Fame huge.

Seeking to bolster their aging offensive line, the Dallas Cowboys selected the 20-year-old Southern California tackle with the ninth pick in the NFL draft Thursday night.

“I think I have the potential to be a Pro Bowler ... and be a Hall of Famer,” Smith said in a conference call after he learned of the selection in a phone call from Cowboys coach Jason Garrett.

Smith is the first offensive lineman taken in the first round by the Cowboys during the Jerry Jones era. He's also the first offensive lineman Dallas has selected in the first round since 1981, when Tom Landry used the 26th pick to select Missouri's Howard Richards.

“I would have hated tonight not to address and improve our offensive line,” Jones said of a front wall that has only one starter, left tackle Doug Free, under 30.

Smith's bold show of confidence was no surprise to offensive line coach Hudson Houck.

“Here's a guy who is 20 years old,” Houck said, “and when he came in here (to Valley Ranch for a predraft visit), every coach, every other person who talked to him said, ‘This guy really seems at ease. He's very comfortable.' So I think he's a confident guy.”

Houck, who at 68 is the league's highest-paid offensive line coach, said Smith would start at right tackle this season. He also suggested he wouldn't be surprised if Smith does indeed become an NFL great.

“He better be, or I may not be coaching,” Houck joked. “This guy will wake up my career, I think.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...n-to-rebuild-O-line-1357856.php#ixzz1KuZyOmia
  3. CrazyCowboy

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Zoners:

How do you feel Smith compares to the other top OT selected within the past 5 years?

Long in Miami? etc....
  4. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Most similarity as a prospect with Winston Justice.

Doesn't mean the trajectory is the same, but I can't think of a more similar OT prospect in the last 5 years.
  5. CrazyCowboy

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    They Said It: Gosselin has Smith rated as his top offensive tackle

“Well, there are five tackles and one center in the first round. I had my list on Dallasnews.com last Friday. I would put them as Tyron Smith (USC), Anthony Castonzo (Boston College), Mike Pouncey (Florida), Nate Solder (Colorado) and Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin). Those are my top five.

-Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News

“I think Tyron Smith is the most underrated offensive linemen in this draft. It won’t shock me if he goes in the top 10. He’s continuing to develop physically. He has good natural balance. He’s trying to add bulk now, he’s over 300 pounds, which is where you’d like to see him at the combine. He’s really impressive with what he can do.”

Todd McShay, ESPN

He Said It: Smith envisions playing at 315 pounds

"It's been important to gain the weight so I can feel more comfortable about myself and feel more healthy," said Smith, who said he envisions playing at 315. "It's natural weight."

-Tyron Smith via The Los Angeles Times