1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Saints hire Rob Ryan as D-boss

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,408 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    METAIRIE, La. -- It took significantly longer than five minutes, but Rob Ryan has officially landed back on his feet.

The New Orleans Saints said Saturday they had hired the former Dallas Cowboys assistant coach as their new defensive coordinator, hoping he can help overhaul a unit that was historically bad last season.

"We have experience in preparing and playing against his defenses and they've always been challenging in terms of the different looks and pressures that they feature," Saints coach Sean Payton said when Ryan's hiring was announced Saturday, one day after he interviewed for the job. "We've had the chance to visit with each other and talk about our visions for our team and I'm excited about moving forward as we prepare for the 2013 season."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8931793/rob-ryan-lands-new-orleans-saints-work-1-month
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

6,844 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Something tell you his turnover ratio will increase.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,586 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Makes sense ....... his father was the first bounty bowl guy.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,156 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    Maybe due to personnel on defense....but not due to the offense.
    Brees and Romo were the same last year. Then again, I suspect they'll both be back to 2011 form next year, so you may be right.
  5. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,137 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I know Rob was fall guy for Dallas this year and I do think Dallas made right move by releasing him. But I think he got an aweful lot out of players off the street last year and will not flop in NO who have guy at QB who will not turn ball over much and put defense in bad situations. Perfect spot for Ryan as he can gamble and be aggressive and just let Drew bail him out when needed.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,175 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
    It'll help a lot that he won't be playing from behind most of the game.

I have a feeling it won't take Brees and Payton 16 weeks to score more than 10 points in the first half.
  7. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,096 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I'll say it again--he was a loud-mouthed slob and his name is Ryan. Good riddance.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,560 Messages
    2,736 Likes Received
    Hear-hear.
  9. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

776 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Never thought about that until now, but so true lol
  10. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

776 Messages
    25 Likes Received

Did Dallas not score more than 10 points in the first half this season? I know you were a second half team, but that is a shocking statistic if true, given the weapons you have on offense.