1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

News: Saints only ran 10 times against the Jets

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 6, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

72,161 Messages
    15,273 Likes Received
    By Stephen White on Nov 6 2013, 2:30p

Imbalance

Anybody else think it was odd watching Drew Brees go through a play-action fake so many times on Sunday against the Jets, considering the Saints' tailbacks only carried the ball 10 times combined? I understand the Jets are hard to run the ball against; I don't understand not even trying. Brees throwing 51 times and Pierre Thomas and Mark Ingram only getting six carries and four carries respectively is just too much of an imbalance. It is the exact same kind of imbalance the Saints had early on last year when their head coach Sean Payton was suspended, and they struggled to win any games.

I don't care how great the Saints' skill players are; you have to run the ball to keep defenses, especially good defenses, honest. Who in the hell is going to bite on a play-action fake if you haven't shown a willingness to run the ball? Payton is a certified genius when it comes to offense, but I just don't understand what he was thinking on Sunday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/6/5066420/nfl-week-9-saints-jets-browns-chiefs-alex-smith

-------------------

Swap out the names and we're talking about Dallas...

2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

38,709 Messages
    8,923 Likes Received
    True, but the Saints have a "smart" coach... o_O

3. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

47,489 Messages
    9,798 Likes Received
    Guess he didn't:

BigStar and Vintage like this.
  4. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

11,631 Messages
    2,853 Likes Received
    And they lost.....

5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

86,127 Messages
    8,763 Likes Received
    Sean Payton is such an idiot, he needs to come here and learn football for our resident experts. lol

6. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

3,156 Messages
    2,206 Likes Received
    So does that mean Sean Payton is as bad as a coach Garret is? I've always heard many here praising how great Sean Payton is, and also to how bad Garret is in comparison to him/other coaches.

7. dropdeadfred5

dropdeadfred5 Active Member

145 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    they lost too. So considering how close we came to losing maybe those saying the running game is meaningless are just as stupid as they appear.

8. Doomsday101

86,127 Messages
    8,763 Likes Received
    Thing none of us know is how many plays did Brees check out of a run into a pass based on what he saw under center, same holds true with Romo.

9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Hunka Hunka Burning BP Staff Member

66,699 Messages
    12,325 Likes Received
    Just in case people missed this while trying to justify our coaches doing it because he did it.

TheCount and ScipioCowboy like this.
  10. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

6,634 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    The league is moving toward the pass more and more. It would not surprise me to see the norm being a 60 pass-10 run game for most teams in the next year or so. The rules favor the WRs and the passing game so much it is only natural for the league to migrate toward the pass. Those passes in the flat and screens are basically "extended handoff runs" and they will be the bulk of a RBs duties in the future. WRs are in demand come draft day, RBs are 3rd rd and later picks these days. I would not be surprised to see WRs lining up in the backfield in place of the RBs soon. GB tried it a little with WR Cobb this year. And TEs will probably get a look soon in the backfield catching passes in the flat.

30 Years ago it was run on 1st down, run on 2nd down, and pass on 3rd down.

NextGenBoys likes this.
  11. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

791 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Saints were also behind that whole second half. I don't really care how many times a team runs the ball, however when it's a close game, I want to at least show the threat of a run. Cowboys were basically in all shotgun.

What another team does, can not justify what the Cowboys do, esp. when if we're honest, the offense wasn't really effective til the last few drives anyway.

12. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

47,489 Messages
    9,798 Likes Received
    I haven't heard one single person say the running game is meaningless nor be called stupid.

13. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

4,830 Messages
    4,156 Likes Received
    Haymaker.

The ten count is on...

14. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,530 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    sounds like NO needs a new playcaller.

mahoneybill likes this.
  15. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

3,156 Messages
    2,206 Likes Received
    I'm assuming it was more to do with the play caller than the actual QB, though I could be wrong. I know in Romo's post game conference he said Callahan wanted to be aggressive against Minnesota.

16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

41,772 Messages
    21,280 Likes Received
    Somewhere in Louisiana there's a Saints fan saying 'and they won!'

bark, 5Stars, Corso and 1 other person like this.
  17. Doomsday101

86,127 Messages
    8,763 Likes Received
    I'm sure he did, Romo also talked about the fronts he was seeing and evidently did call off runs based on what he saw. Did Dallas go in looking to pass a bit more? I hope so given the fact Minn secondary was beat up and they have some pretty damn good talent on their DL. To me that would be stupid looking to attack a teams strenght than to go after their weakness.

dstovall5 likes this.
  18. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

4,830 Messages
    4,156 Likes Received
    Idgit's always been a good counter-puncher...

19. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

5,832 Messages
    2,170 Likes Received
    The Saints lost because they didn't pass the ball well, not because they didn't run the ball more.

20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

25,263 Messages
    4,666 Likes Received
    Maybe if they ran the ball more they would have passed more effectively.

Corso likes this.