1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Saints only ran 10 times against the Jets

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 6, 2013.

1. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Hey Adam, when are you going to do a thread on the Salary cap, we miss that a great deal.
  2. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Active Member

752 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    The fact of the matter is we abandoned the run when it was never necessary to do so. We weren't playing from behind often and even when we were, it wasn't a cause to air it out 51 times. When you throw the ball 51 times, you'd presume that particular team is down by at least two possessions forcing them to play "catch up." For whatever reason, we don't like to run the ball and who is at fault I don't know. But we most definitely ran the ball against the Rams just to shut every body up because the very next week we went back to airing it out.

Also, people tend to assume that if you have negative run plays that this is some sort of a justification to abandon the run completely. You aren't going to always net positive yardage; that isn't the point.
  3. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Why so much consternation about how many times we ran the ball in a game that we won? We ran it 26 times against Detroit, passed it only 30 times and still lost -- to a team that called 51 pass plays.

The object of the game isn't to see how many times you can run it, the object is to win the game. We did.
    nake, dstovall5 and WoodysGirl like this.
  4. DejectedFan1996

752 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Because we know that this team needs to develop some semblance of a balance if we are to take this team seriously in making a post season run as Romo can't do it all alone.

Or maybe we've already conceded that a deep playoff run isn't a possibility.

For the record, I am happy that we won but understand that type of game plan won't win you (or us) very man games.
  5. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Who says we'll ever use that type of game plan again?

And a postseason run depends primarily on two things: our ability to pass effectively and our ability to stop the opponent from passing effectively. Running the ball more often won't help unless we can do those two things.

If we can, then we'll almost certainly have a lead in the fourth quarter, and then we'll have the luxury of running the ball more often.
  6. DejectedFan1996

752 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think a fourth quarter lead is a requirement to run the ball more often.
  7. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Of course not. All you have to do is call more running plays. But calling more running plays does not make you win games. If the point is to win games, then you concern yourselves about the things that help you win instead of things that do not necessarily help. How many times we run the ball should be way down the list of our concerns at the moment.
  8. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    The weekly running doesn't matter speech. The more time I spend at the zone the more time my hand ends up on my forehead.
  9. AdamJT13

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Yep, it's amazing that some people still can't accept the facts.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,095 Messages
    1,940 Likes Received
    It's important to me that we CAN run the ball if need be - not that we run a certain number of times. Problems seems to me that we can't get running yards on obvious running downs b/c our run blocking is awful.

There are going to be times in games where you NEED to run the ball (and the clock). If you can't, well..............on comes your defense and in our case.........you know what that means.

Is it important to be able to run the ball? Of course it is. Is it important to run the ball X amount of times? Not necessarily - not in this day and age.
    EGG, WoodysGirl and big dog cowboy like this.
  11. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I really don't care about balance, what I would like to see is effective running, getting positive yards, but whatever works for offense, whether be running, passing or combination of both, whatever it takes to win, and that is the bottom line. We had relative balance game against Lions and we lost, against Vikings we passed nearly excursively passes and we won, I don't care how it gets done, just win baby.
  12. DejectedFan1996

752 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Had we lost, that would be the topic of discussion. We pulled it out which is why no one is complaining, including myself. This topic got derailed as it was to point out the Saints weren't running the ball, not Dallas.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Quoted for truth. Well said.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    True putting points on the board does, no matter if it is by running the ball or passing the ball. Personally I would love to run the ball better than we have because it does effect what a defense does and it keeps defense off balance but in the end it is about putting points on the board however a team can do so. Frankly I don't think how many times you throw the ball matters vs how many times you run it, what matter is how efficient your team is moving the ball and put the points on the board.
  15. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    Jets have a good defense (better than ours)

Sproles got hurt. Sproles *IS* their run game.
  16. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,118 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Like JG :) ?...
  17. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I am expecting an all out shootout in the superdome. Both teams love the pass and both proved they don't want to run it last week. Neither squad is worried about killing the clock to keep the other attack off the field because Romo and Brees will desire more tosses in this offensive showcase. Bet the over Sunday night as this one will be close. Cowboys 48-47
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    I guess so but then why is Garrett offense when people don't like it and yet it is Callahan on the days when the offense has produced? You people are too confusing.
  19. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,083 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    You could argue that if we ran the ball more we too would've lost.
  20. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,083 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    The running game also was ineffective as well.