1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Saints Saddled With 29 Expiring Contracts

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hostile, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,503 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    Saints saddled with 29 expiring deals 2/7/2010 3:26:23 PM

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports while it was the players of the New Orleans Saints who pushed them into the Super Bowl, it's the team's front office that faces a tall order after Sunday's game.

More than 50 percent of the players on the Saints' roster have contracts that expire after the Super Bowl, according to NFL Players Association records.

Not many teams will have a busier offseason, as the Saints are scheduled to have 18 restricted free agents and 11 unrestricted free agents.

The Saints, who also are expected to make other moves, can tender an offer to their restricted free agents that matches any offer sheet they might sign.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    WOW that's a lot of contracts to redo.
  3. ArmyCowboy

ArmyCowboy New Member

951 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow, that's a ton of contracts.

Taking into account the raises that many players expect after a Super Bowl season, the odds are long that the Saints FO will be able to return a team in 2010 as good as this one.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    How many of them are important though? If most of them are bottom of the roster its no big deal.
  5. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Lets be honest here though. The vast majority of those guys are just guys. They could be easily replaced as long as Brees is there. Without Brees, that team wins 5 games.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,975 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    I believe one important one is Sharper. I think he only signed a 1 year deal with them.

I have no idea who the others are but I'm pretty sure he's one of them.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,468 Messages
    4,430 Likes Received
    Per Schefter:

Not many teams will have a busier offseason, as the Saints are scheduled to have 18 restricted free agents and 11 unrestricted free agents.

The Saints, who also are expected to make other moves, can tender an offer to their restricted free agents that matches any offer sheet they might sign.

New Orleans' restricted free agents include running backs Pierre Thomas and Mike Bell, receivers Lance Moore and Courtney Roby, offensive tackles Jermon Bushrod and Jammal Brown, guard Jahri Evans, defensive tackles Anthony Hargrove and Remi Ayodele, and safety Roman Harper.

New Orleans unrestricted free agents include Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper, linebacker Scott Fujita and quarterback Mark Brunell.
    -----------------------------

And while it's easy to say that many of them are just guys. That's alot of depth to try and replace in one offseason.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Sharper, Bushrod, Brown and Evans are musts; Thomas is a maybe. The rest are easily replaced.
  9. BeWare94

BeWare94 Benched

568 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think Bushrod (great name by the way, LOL) is a guy they can't replace. Seems like every time I saw the Saints this year he was being abused and victimized by someone.
  10. Voodoo Man

Voodoo Man New Member

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sharper, Brown and Fujita are the three that I see the Saints need to and will resign. Money rules, but having a chance to return to the big show is another good selling point the FO has.
  11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,314 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Reggie Bush may not be back next year according to a couple of unsubstantiated rumors amongst Saints fans here locally.

My money is on him landing in San Diego (closer to Kim Kardashian) or Seattle to go play for Pete Carroll.

Bush and "Tush" :lmao:
  12. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,412 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Sean Peyton did a lot of wheeling and dealing to get many of those guys to go there in the 1st place. To me that was his biggest challenge, now that they won a Super Bowl it might not be as hard and I'm sure he may not feel like he needs all of them. Sharper's play is already starting to taper off, he might have one good season left in the tank..
  13. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,353 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    wow 29! no wonder they won the superbowl half the team was in a contract year when we all know thats when players play the best
  14. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love to have Jahri Evans
  15. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    :laugh1: So true..
  16. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As Pittman4Two once said, the Saints have "huge amounts of lots of work to do"...
  17. Voodoo Man

Voodoo Man New Member

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Saints always have "huge amounts of lots of work to do". :) I am just glad that this offseason's work is a lot dif from every offseason before.
  18. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    do you think you guys are gonna keep Reggie Bust?
  19. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,314 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    True dat!! :D
  20. Voodoo Man

Voodoo Man New Member

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think Reggie is over paid but I do not think he is a bust. I think if he was drafted as a multi-spot player rather than a running back he would have not been tagged as a bust as much as he is.

I think Reggie will remain a Saint but not get the 8 mil. I think the contract will be redone. If he does go somewhere I think it will be to the Chargers