1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Saints toying with 3-4 defensive look

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 5, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Saints toying with 3-4 defensive look

we play the saints again, so be ready dallas cowboys, so i posted this; for future reference;
    Posted by Evan Silva on June 5, 2010 3:48 PM ET
    Organized Team Activities are a time for experimentation. The Saints are capitalizing by installing a 3-4 defense during the two-a-day workouts.

According to Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, usual defensive end Bobby McCray is lining up at outside linebacker in the new look. Sedrick Ellis and Remi Ayodele are working at nose tackle. Ellis, normally an interior lineman, also took reps at defensive end along with Anthony Hargrove.

If the new alignment becomes a staple in the Saints' playbook, end Will Smith would presumably line up across from McCray at outside 'backer. Jonathan Vilma, who has experience in the 3-4, would stay at inside 'backer next to Scott Shanle or JoLonn Dunbar. Clint Ingram would probably back up Smith and McCray.

The 3-4 seems unlikely to become New Orleans' base defense, but it gives aggressive coordinator Gregg Williams options. The Saints do not lack the personnel to pull it off on a situational basis.

UPDATE: According to NFL.com's gamebook from Week Three of last season, the Saints lined up in the 3-4 on the first snap of the game. So this is not an entirely new look for the defending Super Bowl champs. Gregg Williams appears to be using OTA practices to polish up the scheme, and perhaps use it more often this year.
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Interesting how Peyton turned out to be a better coach than Parcells. Parcells knew how to put the right guys around him; that's for sure.
  3. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,629 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Ain't broke don't fix it, bad move to complicate the scheme for a franchise that lacks the personnel for a 3-4. They already lost Scott Fujita anyway.
  4. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Didn't they try the 3-4 with Paul Pasquiloni?
  5. Four

Four New Member

2,601 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm toying with having bob arrested for what he did to that puppy.
  6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Four is a NARC. Knew it.
  7. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same can be said for Belichick. Parcells did nothing without him as his DC.
  8. Screw The Hall

Screw The Hall Well-Known Member

2,058 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Peyton has a long way to go before he proves himself a better coach than Parcells.
  9. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    If memory serves me correctly, the last time Vilma played in a 3-4, it wasn't pretty.

Don't know why they'd want to subject him to that again.
  10. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,649 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Maybe they are doing it to practice against 3-4
  11. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,038 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Not really. Peyton is only one ring behind Parcells, and Parcells owes one of those rings to Scott Norwood.
  12. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Parcells----3 super bowl appearances 2 wins
    resurrected 4 franchises
    8 divisional championships

Payton-----1 super bowl appearance 1 win
    resurrected 1 franchise
    2 divisional championships

lets put away the anointing oil for now .........one is a HOFer ,,,,the other is a pup
  13. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    You'll see when it's all said and done. The guy can coach. He showed that much before he left here. Of course, he wasn't going to unseat the Tuna as the better man.

I'm a HUGE Wade Phillips fan, but I'd trade Wade for Payton any time. I wouldn't trade Wade for Parcells though. He's average in today's game--very, very average.
  14. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received

whens its all said and done maybe so....but as of right now he hasnt done 1/10th of what Parcells has..(and i cant stand Parcells and would take Payton ever Wade as well)
  15. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'll disagree and argue Parcells has always had a lot of talent surrounding him. I'm impressed by how he established the 3-4 and drafted Ware and Newman, etc. But the guy had some horrid drafts here as well. I give him a B- for his tenure in Dallas.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,895 Messages
    3,043 Likes Received
    I'd love for them to transition to a 3-4. It'll set them back some and weaken them relative to us. I'll take every legit break we can get against the top NFC teams.
  17. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    If you have it in your bag of tricks, teams have to practice for it, even if you don't use it that week, which takes game planning time. Brilliant idea even if you use it sparingly.
  18. Screw The Hall

Screw The Hall Well-Known Member

2,058 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    He's done a lot more than win 2 rings though. He's successfully turned around every franchise he's ever taken over.

Peyton is a fledgling coach that has had a very impressive start to his career ... nothing more. Parcells is an old school coach who has seen it all twice over and back again. Maybe one day years from now Peyton will be able to say he had half the coaching career Parcells has had, but that day is not here and not now.