1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Samsung Galaxy S3

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by a_minimalist, Sep 27, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,711 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I have someone questions. I've been an iPhone owner since the first week the first one came out. I've bought every new model as soon as it came out(not the S version of any).

I'm seriously considering getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 but some things have me leaning back toward the iPhone are the following:

Siri - mainly just a competent and well functioning voice command function

Safari - I love how if I bookmark a site it automatically shows up in safari on my iMac. I also love the new reading list which I use all of the time. i'm constantly adding things to it.

AutoCorrect - As annoying as it can be on an iPhone it's better than the others I've seen.

iTunes - I like that I can access every song I've ever purchased through iTunes when I'm away from home and put it on my phone.

Anyone care to chime in on how these things are on the Galaxy S3 and if there is anything similar or better on that phone?
  2. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Google Now > Siri in several facets. (bandwidth usage, ability, speed, etc) I suggest you research that rather than taking my word for it.

Google Chrome also can share bookmarks, tabs, etc. As a matter a fact, there is an app called Chrome to Phone where you can share more than just bookmarks and tabs.

There are several keyboard offerings on Google, not just Google's default. I believe most all of them have auto-correct.

You can sync iTunes with your Android phone, but there is no iTunes for Android.

If you are serious about the possibility of getting a Galaxy S III, I would suggest going to check one out first.
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Siri - Samsung S III alternativce is S-Voice. They both stand up well against each other.

Safari - Google Chrome works the same way I think. It's all based on your profile you are signed in with. Same desktop widgets/bookmarks you have on your phone logged in as you would have on your PC logged in.

AutoCorrect - Both phones are idiots w/ auto-correct. I turn mine off.

iTunes - I have all my important songs on my phone and can access it anywhere w/o dialing back to my PC or using a client to access it. The Amazon MP3 cloud player works very well.

I just had one of our developers switch from iphone to the Samsung SIII just yesterday. He loves it. We also compared it to another technicians new iPhone 5. I am partial, so the 5 just wasn't holding water w/ me. The tech was all...WELL I CAN FIT IT IN MY POCKET. I was like...so can my phone and your screen is ITTY BITTY.

I couldn't get over how small the screen was.
  5. a_minimalist

4,711 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I would like it more if it was Phone to Chrome. I have a lot of research to do before I decide to leave the iPhone.

Apple has seriously sucked me in because of how well their products sync together. I don't like that. I almost feel trapped.
  6. a_minimalist

4,711 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Thanks, I'm going to check one out today I think. I like the autocorrect function because it allows me to type faster and not worry about hitting the wrong letter.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    That thing is pretty cool. It has a lot of cool features that I'm probably not likely to use though. I can't see myself using the stylus very much, but they definitely put a lot of work into making it very useful.
  8. a_minimalist

4,711 Messages
    144 Likes Received
  9. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Well-Known Member

1,531 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    In regards to Siri, the newest version of Google Voice sounds like it's better. Check out this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/08/10/googles-new-voice-powered-search-for-ios-makes-siri-look-like-shes-going-nowhere/

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 about 2 weeks ago. I'm really liking it so far. There are always little things to get used to when switching phones, but it's certainly a great phone.

I've just started to use Dolphin as my browser for it. I have Chrome on it too. But I' decided to check out a bunch (stock browser, Chrome, Dolphin, Boat, etc).
  10. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Opera mini browser is pretty slick. Kick the tires on that browser when you get a chance.
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    For those having autocorrect issues, there is a keyboard you can download for a free trial in the market called "swiftkey 3 trial". I think you can use it for either 30 days or 60 days free.

If you like it, you can purchase the full one for 3.99, if not you can keep the keyboard but lose the autocorrect feature.

The keyboard itself looks really cool, it's black with blue letters, and you can change the color. The autocorrect gets it right a lot more than most keyboards.

Just a suggestion, it's a free to try, can't hurt. It's an android app, but it may be available for iphone as well
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,339 Messages
    4,665 Likes Received
    Those look pretty sharp.

Never thought I would think a would grain would look good as a phone case.
  13. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Shoulda...woulda....coulda.....WOODA? :laugh2: Yeah I went there w/ my grammar nazi self.

Sig-Heineken

/salute
  14. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,429 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Did the complete opposite. Went from Android to iOS 6. I like iOS 6 on the Iphone 5, however it's buggy on the new iPad. I used to get great battery life, now it drains in a couple of days.
  15. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

[IMG]
  16. a_minimalist

4,711 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    The miniot book for the iPhone 5 which isn't even out in production yet is seriously pushing me toward getting the iPhone 5. I love that case.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

61,339 Messages
    4,665 Likes Received
    DOH...I deserve that one.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

61,339 Messages
    4,665 Likes Received
    That gif always cracks me up.
  19. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Swift Key is the gold standard for keyboards. Adjustable key sizes and the best text prediction in the industry. It learns your style of typing. After a week it is almost flawless.

You can also modify the colors and back-lighting of the keys. Try it.
  20. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Agreed. The first time I saw it here I had to put it in the private stash.

When in doubt..... whip it out. :cool: