1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sarah Palin Says she's open to teaching creationism in public schools

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by VietCowboy, Sep 3, 2008.

1. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/29/sarah-palin-says-she-open_n_122519.html

John McCain's vice-presidential pick, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is an evangelical Protestant with a strong record of opposition to abortion and an openness to teaching creationism in the public schools.
    Palin is the mother of five children, one of whom was born with Down Syndrome. She learned that her son had Down Syndrome when she was four months pregnant, and she told the Associated Press in May that she never considered ending the pregnancy. "We've both been very vocal about being pro-life," she said in the AP interview. "We understand that every innocent life has wonderful potential." Palin also said of her son, whose name is Trig Paxon Van Palin, "I'm looking at him right now, and I see perfection. Yeah, he has an extra chromosome. I keep thinking, in our world, what is normal and what is perfect?"
    Read the whole story here.
  2. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,909 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    SHe wants to teach all sides, creationism, evolution etc
  3. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,617 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    What's wrong with this?
  4. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,582 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Church is the place for creationism to be taught - our public schools are for the teaching of SCIENCE...
  5. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

6,995 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Both are theories bro...Open your mind to the possibilities... ;)
  6. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This type of thing is very scary to me. Intelligent Design is about as scientific as dowsing.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    huffington. real great source there.
  8. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And Alice falls down a rabbit hole:lmao2:
  9. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,944 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    It seems the left is more close-minded than the right anymore.
  10. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

1,986 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Evolution is a theory built on faith, not science... The scientific method calls for observation, the origins of time cannot be observed.

Freedom of ideas is perfectly fine. Let's not limit the discussion of origins to one faith (evolution) and not the other (creation)

Oh yeah, Darwin denounced his theory before his death.... So he ultimately came to the conclusion that it was in error.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    There is some scientific proof of evolution. We can trace man from early to Neanderthal to Cro Magnon. However, there is a lot of what has happened that there is no evidence of (missing link). And we do not really know when man truly developed sentience. Some would say that that was when he got is soul.
  12. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,583 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Thats called censorship.
  13. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The theory of evolution does not erase the possibility of a God, it's simply a step in the discovery of how man has formed in the natural world. Regardless of how we've evolved, there is nothing to say that man wasn't formed by a greater power.

Everything 'evolves'. It's a natural progreesion and law of physical nature. Understanding this isn't a creation of fact, it's an understanding of it. There need not be a dividing line between proponents of scientific and theological understanding. We'd serve our interests better to stop creating lines of division and instead, scrutinize the complete theories of human life from all angles.
  14. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,439 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Scientifically speaking, creation is a hypothesis and evolution is a theory. Theories have a more strict definition in science.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scientific method

If you want to teach creationism in schools, it has to be in a class that's not a science class. We don't have the means to prove or disprove it yet, meaning it can't be scientific and has no business in a science class.
  15. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,944 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    As a member of the religious right, this just isn't a big deal to me.

Let the schools teach my kids about evolution. I teach them the Truth at home every day. I can't MAKE my kids accept Christ and the Truth. But it's my job to teach them the Way.

I'm not one of those guys that screams for Creationism to be taught in schools. Again, I teach it daily to my kids. I certainly don't want the government to ruin the wonderful Truth of Creation by telling the school a watered-down truth.

I do worry about kids that don't have Christian parents....but I don't think it's the government, or schools that should "force" it. The local churches should reach out to those people.
  16. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,761 Messages
    234 Likes Received

Its Ok for Muslim senstivity to be taught to further understand muslims but it isn't ok to teach creationism. Why is it the Libs always want compromise for thier ideas but don't like it when the other sides compromises.
  17. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,761 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    If that is the cause then I ask the the Theory of Global warming not to be taught on the same grounds.
  18. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Quoted from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin

Though Darwin wrote of religion as a tribal survival strategy, he still believed that God was the ultimate lawgiver.[117] His belief dwindled, and with the death of his daughter Annie in 1851, Darwin finally lost all faith in Christianity. He continued to help the local church with parish work, but on Sundays would go for a walk while his family attended church.[118] He now thought it better to look at pain and suffering as the result of general laws rather than direct intervention by God.[119] When asked about his religious views, he wrote that he had never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God, and that generally “an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind.”[120]

The “Lady Hope Story”, published in 1915, claimed that Darwin had reverted back to Christianity on his sickbed. The claims were refuted by Darwin’s children and have been dismissed as false by historians.[121] His daughter, Henrietta, who was at his deathbed, said that he did not convert to Christianity.[122] His last words were, in fact, directed at Emma: "Remember what a good wife you have been."[123]

and

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hope.html
    About the myth and Lady Hope, His daughter wrote: "I was present at his deathbed," she wrote in the Christian for February 23, 1922. "Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. I believe he never even saw her, but in any case she had no influence over him in any department of thought or belief. He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier."
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,774 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I thought the Democrat party was the party of "choice"...

Since neither are proven, why not teach both and let the student choose?
  20. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Muslims believe in creation too...thus "Muslim"= one who submits to god